1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[WARNING] EMI detected in 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Dec 25, 2016.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Great. Guy buys a product intended to monitor personal exercise levels and then takes it for a ride in his car.

Cars.

RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I thought you were going to Arizona?

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Had a motor mount bolt break at 4PM on Friday before leaving town. The BMW with dynamic cruise control is better on the highway than the 2010 Prius, wife and I had a stay-cation. Fixing the 2010 Prius problem soon.

The GCDC monitor is to study the transmission/motor/engine dynamics.

Bob Wilson

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone matching this specific profile popped up with comments here? If so, I missed it.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See Also: Natural Selection.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those diseases arise too late to provide much natural selection. To be effective, such selections need to appear before or during the typical reproductive years.

RCO likes this.
  7. Trollbait and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the consensus on tobacco doesn't prevent them from selling it. i find it hard to believe that inhaling burning anything can be good for you, but without long term studies, i guess we'll never know.

9. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It is good for you. I saw the movie Friday. They say "The weed be letting you know when evil lurks"

bisco likes this.
  10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "arise too late to provide much natural selection"@26. Happy that classical Darwinism still has listeners, but might I toss some 'it takes a village' into this?

Humans as we have become are more in-group favorable and more out-group unfavorable than any other (let us say primates). Post-reproductive individuals have something beyond genomes to contribute. If some other group keeps their old wisdom better intact, your group might be effed.

A codger is saying this...

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Prius Prime Owner's Manual, pp. 92:

■Electromagnetic waves

●High voltage parts and cables on the hybrid vehicles incorporate electromagnetic shielding, and therefore emit approximately the same amount of electromagnetic waves as conventional gasoline powered vehicles or home electronic appliances.
    ●Your vehicle may cause sound interference in some third party-produced radio parts.

Oh no! Now our hyper-sensitive, EMI phobic friends will have something to cite not based on empirical data. . . . Well at least they won't be competing with us to buy Prius Prime.

Bob Wilson

#31 bwilson4web, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  12. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Huh? Toyota says that the Prime is shielded such that the EMI is similar to conventional vehicles. If true, then there is no EMI reason to choose one over the other. Doesn't say that there is no damage, only that it's about the same as other cars.

Dr. Milham's studies showed increased modern diseases as electrification spread. 1900's power generators are not hybrid vehicles, so the effects may differ. But it would be worth studying how much it is worth avoiding/shielding against EMI.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Huh? Toyota says that the Prime is shielded such that the EMI is similar to conventional vehicles. If true,

Well did you read my first post? You know I have instrumentation and can take measurements.

then there is no EMI reason to choose one over the other. Doesn't say that there is no damage, only that it's about the same as other cars.

Well I already have data from a 2010 Prius and 2014 BMW i3-REx. When I pickup my Prius Prime, I'll be able to make a study and share the results.

Dr. Milham's studies showed increased modern diseases as [modern rjw] electrification spread.

There, I've fixed it for you. Also include modern transportation, modern education, modern food, and modern medicine. My gosh! Modern calendars too! It is time, time is the enemy that makes us to become more modern! You do realize you too are becoming modern with each tick of the clock. Perhaps you want to return to some "Great" time with:
    • smallpox
    • polio
    • die at earlier ages
    • black and white TV
    • no Internet
    1900's power generators are not hybrid vehicles, so the effects may differ. But it would be worth studying how much it is worth avoiding/shielding against EMI.

I've been studying it for 67 years and it appears to leave this subject: fat, bald headed, and a white man. What are your test results?

Bob Wilson

#33 bwilson4web, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  14. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Discovering that smoking was bad for health did not take long at all. Just that interested parties choose to conceal and camouflage the growing evidence. Oh wait, I used the EVIDENCE word, sorry!

bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that was evident.

RCO likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Alcohol isn't good for you either, but banning it didn't lead to much good.

Long term, smoking marijuana likely will have negative effects compared to those that don't smoke, but joints don't have extra crap added to them like typical cigarettes. Then a joint per day isn't the same as a pack per day.

RCO likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but alcohol went both ways. legalizing marijuana will likely increase the amount of use and users.

RCO likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Marijuana was once legal. Past calls on the virtues of hemp wasn't all about rope and paper.
    There will be some increase of use with legalization at first, but plenty of people already use it while it's illegal. The only harm in legalizing is to the paper and for profit prison industries.

RCO likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks like in colorado, there's a lot of harm. all the evidence may not be in yet, but it's a stretch to think problems aren't increasing.

RCO likes this.
  20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What harms are there in Colorado that can be isolated from;
    • the fact that marijuana is still illegal under federal law making banking virtually impossible and the legal sales a cash business,
    • being illegal still in most states, user numbers will be inflated by tourists looking to get high legally.
    • the illegal market which still exists in Colorado because of legal prices and supply
    As drugs for pleasure go, marijuana is pretty benign compared to other legal and illegal ones.

Now, I do think edibles need to be tightly regulated, because it can too easily end up in the hands of minors.

RCO likes this.