WARNING: Extension Cords

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Rob43, Oct 15, 2019.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It's a Duosaida. I've been using it for at least three years.

Selbyevers likes this.
  2. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just came across this YouTube video and thought that a number of people in this forum would find it of interest:

The video is somewhat long, but it does a good job of explaining many of the issues with extension cords and why their wire-size is so important.

One take-away is that because the Prime's OEM charging cable (EVSE) is designed to run on a 15-amp household circuit, if you're using an extension cord rated at 15-amps you're reasonably protected by the 15-amp circuit-breaker when you plug into a 15-amp circuit. But if you plug into a 20-amp circuit, and there is a fault in the charging unit or elsewhere along the length of the cord, don't expect the 20-amp circuit breaker to protect the extension cord from overheating, melting, or igniting something.

Also noted in the video is that 20-amp circuits should have outlets with T-slots but that is not always the case. So you can never be sure whether an ordinary-looking 120-volt outlet is protected by a 15-amp circuit breaker or a 20-amp circuit breaker.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, you can, once you know what breaker it's on; then you just look. I've usually made it a point right when moving into a place to figure out what circuits all the outlets are on: it's easy to spot them all before furniture is in place, and there might even be some helpers around to watch in different rooms while the breakers are tried.

fuzzy1 and jerrymildred like this.