1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WARNING: Extension Cords

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Rob43, Oct 15, 2019.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right! Or, more formally, I=E/R.

If the load could command a certain wattage, then current would rise as voltage drops, but it can't. So that formula is P=Esquared/R. Either way, as resistance goes up, voltage drops and so does power.

Doug McC likes this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do note that with the widespread use of switch mode power supplies today, there are lots of loads that can command a certain wattage, or a certain current, regardless (almost) of the line resistance. These can make mincemeat of the old resistance rules, so some devices really do appear to have negative resistance, i.e. load current increases when input terminal voltage drops.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't actually studied them much. I assume that's because of the feedback used to regulate them?

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Correct.

You can design the controls in a switching power supply to regulate almost anything you want. Voltage is the most common but some regulate current and every battery charger does both depending on where you are in the charge cycle (current at the beginning, voltage at the end).

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good point. In California you are asked to charge at night because the grid is too weak.
    Also, you are used to spending when you buy a new car, so cough up a few bucks for a “dedicated” extension cord.
    BTW, is there such a thing as an in line thermal breaker, in stead of relying on the breaker in the box?

6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Toyota charging cable has a temperature sensor in the plug (also linked in #23 above).

Commercially-available, in-line GFCI devices typically provide only ground-fault protection, not overcurrent protection (thermal, thermal-magnetic, electro-synthe-magnetic, or otherwise) but I suppose one could put a miniature circuit breaker or supplementary protector into a small enclosure with cable glands.

To be clear, I don’t recommend using extension cords for EV charging at all. (EV operation is fine, of course.)

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Southwire E-238 Heavy Duty Power Station Cord reel, with 6 Grounded Outlets, 12/3 50-Foot Extension Cord, Built In 15-Amp Circuit Breaker, Green/Black https://a.co/d/j57pf8g