1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning for buyers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Bob Hahn, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Baggiebird8

Baggiebird8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really interesting thread. I love technology just like you guys on the other side of the pond (and my Prius which is my second one).
    Best to keep in mid though (echoing a safety related remark earlier in the piece) that it is what goes on around and outside the car that is more important than on the SatNav screen. As my flying instructor used to say when my head was buried looking at the panel - you need to look out of the cockpit more!!!!:)

2. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ergo, the need for an improved and simplified voice command program. Example:
    1) voice command-
    A) menu appears
    2) go home
    A) navigating Home

Really it's that simple, never take your eyes off the road.
    Remember this: KISS
    K-keep
    I-it
    S-simple
    S-simplify the voice commands

3. attyjeff

attyjeff Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have to agree that the nav is not up to Garmin standards But I will say that my nav does have a "lane assist" it shows you which lane you need to be in. There are little line and dashes with a line that shows you which lane to get in. I think I have mine in 2d. So far it seems to work well. I think its like when you first change phones to a new phone it just takes time to learn it. But I agree again it is not as good as Garmin but its not really that bad either.

4. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not bad, I prefer, disappointing and very expensive. It works, just ok. It is also very bland vanilla, not very user friendly and cost me way too much$$$$ I had expected the voice commands to be simple, not so frickin clumsy. Very disappointed I need to take my eyes off the road to actually enter commands. That what really has me peeved.

5. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How to tell the rev.# on the NAV software

6. Clay2013

Clay2013 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My Avalon Navi was so bad, I think the Prius Navi is awesome! I didn't know the prius was bad, It's a matter of perspective. :LOL:

7. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, I guess a modern map looks great compared to a sextant, and a 10 year old Garmin to a compass. The fact is the Prius NAV is not even in the game with most GPS NAV in the past 3-5 years. Yet, the cost is many times the cost of a state of the art new GPS.
    I'm glad you like yours, but if you enjoy paying top dollar for old tech I have a rotary phone your gonna love and I'll even give you a great deal on it.

Clay2013 likes this.
  8. Clay2013

Clay2013 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds great. Could you telegraph me the details?:)

andy_p and giantpens like this.
  9. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sure, one ringie dingie, two ringie dingie.... Remember, old Lily Tomlin, (Earnistine?)

10. DaveC2007

DaveC2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Think the NAV is bad in the Prius? Try a GM, or VW nav. They really are bad. I agree the Garmin is so much better. I have yet to find a good factory NAV that works as well as a Garmin but the 2011 Toyota NAV is about the best factory system I have seen. I just hate sticking the Garmin back on the dash. XM NAV Traffic is also a joke. Garmin/iPhone/google traffic is up to date, XM NAV Traffic lags way too much and shows too little.

Bob Hahn likes this.
  11. rekniht01

rekniht01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Give me a map. I'll get you there.

We have a GPS. We bought it before a trip to Chicago a few years ago. It was useful in Chicago. But I also had a map that I studied before making the trip. So I knew where I wanted to go before even getting in the car.

Now the GPS, a Tom Tom, sits in the console collecting dust. We haven't really needed it since.

12. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does anyone know when the next NAV or Entune update is planned

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, warning for buyers .... Camry Hybrid has ...

50% more horsepower, 30% more HP per weight
    is 20% quicker 0 to 60 mph,
    has 10% more passenger and 11% more load capacity

while Prius saves 18% on gas,
    has 65% more cargo volume seats up (but that cargo is in unsecured area, that above rear seat line could become projectile in cabin, better tie down)

and costs only 7.4% less.

I guess you buy Prius to save a little gas, a little money and for the times you gotta stuff something large in cargo area. OTT, seems Cam Hy is really good competition.

14. 2fastplus

2fastplus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What Navigation? A big screen backup camera is what it is. I mounted my Garmin 5" on the steering column and love it. View attachment 47664

15. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And don't forget, Camry Hybrid also has that lovely 90% more squarish "Camry" looks, too! :)

Not quite sure if all the fuss about our NAV system is so important. I use the old school map, the newer fangled Google map to scout out a new route... and then rely the least on my
    fabulous "trailing edge" Toyota Denso navigation unit. It's fine, certainly could be much better, but I really bought the Prius to save gas and travel safely. It has lived up to that task brilliantly!

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Works for me. Fits in better out there. Better driver visibility. Prius A-pillar can block view when turning right around sharp corners.

Is it an industry 'snub' that no other mfr has really copied the Prius, except for half witted attempt by Honda... while all mfrs have midsize sedan hybrid - Fusion, Accord (soon), sonata, Optima, Camry, Altima, Malibu,

I wouldn't call C-Max a copy of either Prius or v.

17. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have not found Prius A-pillars to block visibility any more than any other car's A-pillars, to the right or the left. Like any laid back windshield design, it takes a little time to get use to. I got over that in the 6 years we owned our 2005 Prius. It might block something leaning at the same angle and having the narrow dimensions of the A-pillar, but the same would happen behind any car's A-pillar.

The Camry is a great sedan, and has been more than successful for Toyota. This latest Camry looks too retro for me, but I understand Toyota's conservative design and how well it still sells. I find Fusion, Optima and Malibu more interesting to look at, but that's just me. No car out there is perfect, design wise, including Prius.

Prius still has a distinctive shape. Honda's more recent Insight was a weak attempt to copy the Prius. The Prius shape is aerodynamically functional... thus the exceptional mileage that it attains on the highway. Hopefully the next Gen will remain distinctive and recognizably a Prius. I hope they refine and bring the Cd numbers farther down to allow even greater mpg.

C-Max is a close copy of the original Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix twins and has no relation to Prius or Prius v. Every C-Max dimension is nearly within an inch or two of the older cars. Interior volumes and dimensions are also nearly identical if you compare C-Max against either '03-'08 Vibe or Matrix . I saw a Silver 2007 Matrix parked next to a silver C-Max... the silhouettes were strangely very close.

18. chota

chota Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree, Nav is pathetic, and to top it off a few months after buying my car Toyota sent me a letter saying the have an upgrade to the Nav software. I thought great, hopefully an improvement but then realized Toyota wants us to pay ~$200 for the upgrade. I bought a $28k Prius and Toyota wants $200 to upgrade their terrible Nav software! They should do it for free! I asked the dealer and they claim it's a non OEM software company so they cannot do it for free.

19. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hiding, setting up, batteries.... I don't see the problem. Run the cord once when you buy the car.... done! Turns on nicely when you start the car, and off when you turn the car off.

[​IMG]

20. 2fastplus

2fastplus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Garmin 5" in direct line of sight

Attached Files: