1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Warning from Toyota President - Akio Toyoda

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    On average, that's approximately 6,200 miles per year? That's similar to how much I do. So I will put my concerns aside, and Just Drive It. My car has the 10 year warranty on the hybrid battery, so I should be good.

2. Dimitrij

Dimitrij Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Starship16 said:
    AC is for WIMPS! Just throw on a wet t-shirt! :LOL:

Interestingly, direct evaporative cooling, which uses the same heat removal mechanism as sweating or wearing a wet T-shirt, is used in data centers:

http://www.dchuddle.com/2014/direct-evaporative-cooling/

RCO likes this.
  3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Going back to the original article:
    I remember reading about the Prius development effort: The Story Behind the Birth of the Prius, Part 1 | TOYOTA Global Newsroom
    In 1993, the best laptop batteries were NiMH yet even then some "lugables" used lead-acid batteries. But did the Prius lobotomize Toyota to stop long term, strategic thinking?

I've worked on and off NASA programs since 1978 and often said, "NASA has one of everything ever built and low serial numbers." Having developed an advanced system it remains in service until it can no longer be maintained . . . sometimes I pulled these fossils from the warehouse to get running again to replace field units that had failed. For example, four-wire telephones used in mission control and 8-bit micro controllers of the space shuttle engine controllers.

I can sympathize with the human trait to keep what was once cutting edge long after it has been superseded. I kept our 2003, Gen-1 Prius running until May 2016 when I gave it to our housekeeper. She in effect was upgraded from pickups and medium sized, gas sedans. Suddenly she was spending 1/3d the amount of gas as before and with a 1kW, 120VAC inverter. And I replaced it with a plug-in, hybrid, 2014 BMW i3-REx.

Can Toyota excel in EVs? Probably but they will have to do a clean-sheet like they did with the Prius. Air cooled batteries won't cut it as the temperature management is inadequate.

Bob Wilson

Simtronic, RCO, hill and 2 others like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i still miss my horse and buggy. and the income from the wagon wheel business.:unsure:

Dimitrij, Zythryn and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I took a big hit on my zeppelin repair stocks.

markabele, Dimitrij, RCO and 2 others like this.
  7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't used the Volt for the last few days, so it's been plugged in and fully charged. While doing some painting near it, I heard the A/C start up to cool the battery, since it was 95F outside.

hill, Ashlem and bwilson4web like this.
  8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    C-HR is a lifted Prius. That unnecessary height may be a plan-ahead for the first EV, which will be C-HR next year in China.

RCO likes this.
  9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect greed came first ;)

RCO, Trollbait and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's my thought...
    Certainly a projected future that includes a predominately electric vehicle based reality, changes the auto industry considerably in comparison to what or how it operates today.
    But the headline is a somewhat misleading and alarmist to call it a "job killer". I believe it to be evolution, and so what will become a job changer.
    Evolution has happened before. At one time, human transportation was dominated by hoof and rein. Yes the invent, and acceptance of horseless carriages, led to a loss of jobs for people primarily involved in supporting that infrastructure. But, a whole new infrastructure was created, that has in totality branched off and created countless jobs and opportunities directly and indirectly as a result of this evolution.

As humanity evolves from a fossil fuel based, ICE dependency for the majority of it's transportation needs, a similar evolution will occur. But new jobs, new opportunities will be created. The demand for a piston may decrease, but the demand for battery's or unforeseen components both operational and entertainment based will increase. As the infrastructure world wide grows to support this change, countless jobs I think will be created.

It's slow going. Nearly day to day imperceptible. But I've seen it already to some extent in my lifetime.
    I think it more precise to say, the evolution towards electric vehicles will be a job killer in certain segments. But a job creator, in countless other areas and segments.

Prius is a fundamental pioneer in many ways towards this change. You pretty much have to come to Prius Chat, to read a plethora of threads about things like High Voltage Batteries, Charge Levels, Replacement, Repair. etc, etc...

Someday, similar discussions may happen in automotive forums representing a much wider number of nameplates and brands. I certainly would expect that Toyota be one of them and strongly represented with this evolution.
    In short, I think Electric Vehicles, and evolution. And evolution comes with everything associated with it's reality, including the change and death of what was before, as well as the birth and life to the new.

RCO, dbf, Mendel Leisk and 1 other person like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe individual vehicles in general, regardless of their means of propulsion, are on the wane?

12. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The bar has been set by the 100 + years of development of the internal combustion engine in durability and longevity.
    Once the BEV exceeds the ICE there will be no looking back.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    my better ½repurposed stuff from our horse. Specifically - the bit it used to have in its mouth. It has found a new home.

RCO, Trollbait and padroo like this.
  14. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did you send it to bisco?

15. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yea... I'm sure you could put a brand new pack of batteries on a shelf for a year and have fairly decent results... I mean I wouldn't do that, I'd want to love it more than that... As for 15 months at a dealership, the car probably got moved around the lot a bunch of times during that time...

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yet you still type very well.

Bob Wilson

RCO and hill like this.
  17. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There have already been long term "non-use" studies done on lithium chemistries. If it just sits on a shelf, they average about 10% capacity loss per year from non-use. So, "use it or lose it"" - as capacity degradation is reduced through use.

RCO and Starship16 like this.
  19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Each battery chemistry is different... I don't know much about Lithium, but NiMH loses its greatest amount of charge in first 24 hours then is a very light drain after that. But my point is a brand new battery pack on a shelf is going to be well-balanced as it self-discharges and could sit there for a long time with not much issue.

I learned this because I spent time reading about NiMH separate from all the crazy notions of the batteries among Prius owners. I encourage everyone on here to learn as much as possible about battery chemistry science and how it behaves separate from all the anecdotals on here, which sometimes tend to defy the basic science.

RCO and padroo like this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe yes, maybe no: we found it while wandering around a covered display shed they had. It was way at the back, boxed in by other cars, very dusty, and there was a dead bird lying beside it, lol. It cleaned up good though. :)

I got the sense it was a sale that had fallen through: it had illuminated thresholds, and some sort of bs id stickers on various components. Neither item was mentioned during the sale negotiations. There was maybe 20 kms on the odometer.

The 12 volt battery was completely dead, they tried to bluff their way through that, but we needed to restart it once to check something, and it was not happening. We got that replaced gratis.

Build date was August 2009, and we bought it in November 2010.

m.wynn, bwilson4web, RCO and 2 others like this.