1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Warning from Toyota President - Akio Toyoda

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Aug 17, 2018.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i went with the ryobi one system when it came out, and have been reasonably happy with it.

dbf likes this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Portability of battery operated power tools are very convenient, but I agree with many that corded tools are more powerful and generally cheaper, considering you have to replace battery on those cordless tools in several years. I still own corded trimmer and blower from when we were still living in a city with a small yard, but now they are useless. There isn't long enough extension cord to reach the end of our driveway. LOL. Makita corded circular saw is still my work horse. I can't find any battery operated circular saw that come even close to cutting power of this corded saw.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I choose corded... just because I want better performance, and CHEAP.

And I don't want to deal with batteries. It's not like an EV where I use almost every day. These things get sit around and battery dies. Causing more money to replaced... or worst... buy new ones.

Mendel Leisk, RCO and Trollbait like this.
  4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I still have my 40 year old Sears Craftsman corded mower and it still works fine.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm hoping to replace my 17 year old B&S Craftsman mower for an electric next year. The yard is small enough for a corded one. Battery mowers can be three times as much, and I would surely need to replace the battery at least once if I keep it as long as the old gasser.

Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    They definitely have cord and cordless options for many.

Product Comparison Page

If you look at the weight of 2 similar mowers its 40 lbs for the cordless, 29 lbs for the corded. I have a different model the black and decker, but it is very light.

Cordless costs about twice as much as corded, but really I don't have to plug in 3 different times and watch the cord to mow my yard. neither is good for a big yard unless you have extra batteries. The cordless will cost more to maintain. It looks like $139 for a higher capacity 5ah battery to replace this one or $99 for a 2ah battery. IMHO cordless is less of a hassle but I have 2 - 2ah batteries that stay in the house. Its more money but extremely convenient. The batteries are also used on my trimmer and leaf blower. Occasionally I have to wait to trim or blow leafs if my lawn is tall.

As battery prices continue to fall, I would expect the less convenient corded mowers and light drills to go away. The leaf blower is the only one of my cordless electric lawn tools that seems under-powered.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we still have gas mowers. not many options on an acre of land.

RCO likes this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    you need one of these 80v bad boys;

[​IMG]

With a backpack version, you'll have to lean into it.

That said, ... so true about some cordless weights. Got a 8 ft pole saw that is a tad unwieldy if I use the 5AH battery. The 2AH, not so much.

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Gas mowers or goats ;-) I wish I had an acre, but living in the old part of the city lots are tiny ;-)

RCO and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we're looking for a smaller lot within walking distance to a small town center. those are hot properties.

11. dbf

dbf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i looked at it in the store, sweet ride! i would want at least a 60 day free trial. i got burned on an electric push mower that didn't cut the mustard, and they wouldn't take it back after 30 days.
    and how long are the batteries guaranteed? they ain't cheap either.

13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Imho 1/3 acre is ideal. My lot is only 1/10 of an acre, but its a great size for a cordless mower. The back yard is also big enough to play with my dog, with lots of squirrels and birds that touch down there for him to rush outside and chase. I think these electric cordless mowers are good for about 1/4 acre, any bigger gas is better.

bisco likes this.
  14. dbf

dbf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't consider it except it got 5 out of 5 star rating from over 500 users so far. It uses lead acid battery technology. This is a quote from one of the users:
    "Mowing uses a lot of energy. This mower even though it uses brushless motors and efficient controllers requires a 75-100 amp hour battery to give you 2 hours of mowing time. Properly maintained they should last 4-6 years. The replacement cost of the batteries is about $450 ish."

bisco and austingreen like this.
  15. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m thrilled with our EGO devices. We have two batteries that we use in the snow blower, mower, leaf blower and trimmer.
    No worries about engine maintenance, oil, gas, end of season draining and they are quieter.
    The up front cost is higher, but when I consider the improved experience and lower ongoing costs, they are a good buy imo.

dbf and austingreen like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm getting pretty good at derailing threads. :oops:

Simtronic, dig4dirt, Zythryn and 2 others like this.
  17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Practice makes perfect. :D

Mendel Leisk and Salamander_King like this.
  18. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I have 3 batteries for our EGO blower for blowing leaves in the fall. One failed after about a year and was replaced under warranty trivially (phone call was all it took). Son has their mower. Next door has their mower. Both have very small yards.