1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning/information about oil change on screen even after maintenance reset

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chinna, Mar 2, 2019.

1. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2006 with 116k miles. Change Mobile 1 Synthetic every 5-6k miles.

As usual I changed oil and reset my maintenance light with usual ODO power button procedure and maintenance light is reset. It does not show up.

But I started observing this information screen about Contact this dealer for Oil and filter. (See the picture) on start for few seconds and it goes away. If I remember correctly it start popping this message when I reach 4500 miles after last oil change.

So, I am puzzled now. I changed oil as per schedule and reset the light. Why am I still seeing this message? Any ideas? Is there a special procedure I need to do?

Is there a special procedure dealer performing other than usual reset we do with ODO and powerbutton Combo?

Appreciate help!.
    Thx PriusOilChangeReminder-on-NavScreen.jpg

2. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never seen this --

Did you try pushing on screen where it says "do not display thisn message again"

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    X2...was first thought that went through my mind....

4. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, I know I can push it( I did already). My question is why is it even showing that oil change needed even after resetting Oil reminder ?

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    OK, I'll take a guess. You have the 7 button MFD. This MFD has options for setting maintenance reminders. The 4 button MFD does not. That's probably why many are not responding. They've never seen it before. I currently have 2 Prii and 1 previous Prius with the 7 button model. I've never set any maintenance reminders on any of them, and I never saw the screen you have pictured. Maybe yours has been set. Maybe it pops up because it's a different system than the maintenance warning light. I may be right or I may be wrong, but I think the MFD is different from the car odometer/ecu.

chinna likes this.
  6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TMR-JWAP is headed in the right direction. The 7 button MFD in the higher specs have an option for setting maintenance reminders.

Press the Info button on the left screen edge and should display the Information screen similar to the one below, The option you want is the button circle in red.

Type 1 Info Screen.png

Click into this and have a look around. You'll probably find a oil change reminder set. It is not particular intelligent or flash, but can be useful for some.

Skibob and chinna like this.
  7. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks, it makes sense. I will take a look at those options. I do not remember ever setting that, and cancelling the remainder. But I will explore little bit in manual also.

8. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can confirm this information screen setting explained above is correct. It allows owner to setup when to remind for oil change, filter change, tire rotation and other maintenance notifications with dates and miles. Once done, we need to reset.

I did not observe this before, as my wife drives this car normally.

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I thought the car the poster had is a generation 3 and what's being pictured further down is a generation two so I guess both of them can do it or the seven button generation 2 and the generation 3 can do it.?