1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning "Key detected in vehicle" while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Francos, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Francos

Francos Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I updated my 2012 PIP entune to Version 3xx a few weeks ago. Ever since, the Warning message popped up in the display and warning signal on the dashboard while driving. It is not very often. Sometimes, no issue during entire week. Sometimes, it popped out every few minutes, especially when the car hit a bump.

Anyone has similar issue?

2. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure your liftgate is fully closed. I have experienced this very same condition and found the liftgate half locked. A half-locked liftgate may look like it is closed, but when you drive over a bump, it momentarily opens enough to trigger the latch switch. Others on this forum have reported this as well.

BrianPB, GrumpyCabbie and Tracksyde like this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, been there, done that too.

4. msteglich

msteglich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yesterday the warning message about Key being detected began.
    Discovered my liftback door would not lock, no matter how I closed it. If I hit the lock doors button, still will not lock.
    The doors will lock.
    Beep occurs, warning light comes on dash after going over a bump. Can make warning light and sounds stop by pressing the door lock button.
    Any ideas?

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Take it in to have your locking mechanism adjusted, and or the sensor checked.

SCH-I535

retired4999 likes this.
  6. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had a similar issue, on two occasions. My smartkey suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason. I know it's not exactly the same problem as "key detected in vehicle" but it may be related. After a bit of head-scratching, I finally traced it to a rechargeable flashlight I had just bought and plugged it into the lighter socket. When I unplugged it, the problem disappeared, and re-appeared whenever I plugged it in again.

It's possible you may have another source of RF in the car that is interfering with it.

7. cwspinks

cwspinks New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    had same issue and the latch lock had gotten some debris in it -- cleaned oil and seems to be working -- will grumble if it doesn't

8. Prius2010usr

Prius2010usr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

Yes, I had the same problem. While driving “keys detected inside the car” and door open sign shows up in the dashboard.

Solution is very simple, my trunk inside light was not off or on, it was in the middle position. I turned it on and now problem is gone. No more door open sign in the

please share it, as this is very common thing that happens when we put the groceries. Accidentally move light switch to a crazy middle position(neither on or off)

9. Wolverine88

Wolverine88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    I had the same issue for the first time yesterday. I drove for an hour without issues. Then, "Key detected in the vehicle" while driving, on every little bump, after going over a cattle guard. I got the annoying yellow triangle warning, beeping and sometimes door open warning. The rear hatch had been frozen shut after a car wash, and my wife had tried to open it. It was obviously slightly open but not enough to trigger the door open warning. I was worried as I had to drive on a rough road, until I reached a place to stop. Once stopped, I simply opened and closed each door and the hatch. After that no issues.