1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning Light - Engine Oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by homerj742, Oct 16, 2007.

1. homerj742

homerj742 New Member

Luckily the tow was covered by my Platinum insurance.

I can see Midas not owning up to the mistake since it has been 2000 miles since the oil change.

I didn't notice any smell (at all???!) or get a warning (until yesterday).

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd fill the oil myself. I'd take pictures of the mess and the odometer.
    I'd clean up the mess myself...enough to get the larger amount of oil off of the engine and other parts.
    I'd file a formal complaint with the Midas who did the change, with corporate to make sure they're aware and make sure everyone has a nice clean copy of the report from your dealer.

Was the gas cap still sitting under the hood somewhere or did you have to get a new one?

Oh, and it's not your fault at all really.
    But it's always a good idea to grab a rag after an oil change and check the level...I always do that and I check and correct the tire pressure before pulling out of the parking lot. Had you done that you'd probably have noticed that the cap wasn't on.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(homerj742 @ Oct 17 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]526973[/snapback]</div>

Two possibilities:

Midas left the cap off completely and its still laying around in their shop. (However, they will probably not confess if this is the case. )

Midas did put the cap on loosely and it came off later, or they left it on top of the air cleaner housing or under the hood and it eventually fell out of the engine compartment while you were driving.

Either way, they did a bad job and could potentially have cost you an engine.

Personally, I change the oil myself and check the oil level at every other gas fill up. The main thing is to find someone you can trust to do the job right.

4. homerj742

homerj742 New Member

Well, the car is back and running as good as it was when I first got it. They did a good job of cleaning up the mess, refilled the oil, gave it a quick inspection.

Total cost - $162

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(homerj742 @ Oct 18 2007, 08:49 PM) [snapback]527559[/snapback]</div>
    Have you called the manager at the Midas yet?
    I, again, urge you to put this thing in writing and request not only the $162 for the oil/clean up. But for a refund for the oil change they did and some sort of written statement that you expect them to cover any future costs should you have an engine failure that Toyota says it won't cover due to the oil incident. I honestly don't think any damage was done, but you just want to try to anticipate any eventualities and have it in writing. Send the letter certfied, keep a copy along w/ your certified mail reciept, CC a copy to the Midas Headquarters as well.

Glad to hear everything turned out OK.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Oct 17 2007, 09:58 AM) [snapback]526842[/snapback]</div>
    If they decide to be jerks about it then it's your word against theirs. "Low oil? What low oil? It's full of oil."

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Oct 19 2007, 07:07 AM) [snapback]527720[/snapback]</div>
    In this case, it would be obvious what happened from all of the oil sprayed all over the engine compartment.

I think that if you are worried that the people working on your car will disregard what you tell them, then you shouldn't let those people work on your car.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is another good reason to do your own oil changes, unless you are physically incapable or are prohibited to do so (Apartment/condo or CC&R).

It's one thing if a person with good intentions makes a boo-boo and then has to fix it. When a so-called "professional" makes a boo-boo, LIES about it, well, that's an entirely different matter!

In most shops - including dealerships - the lowest person on the ladder is the oil change "tech." They probably moved up from lot sweeper or urinal scrubber, and usually have an attitude problem too. In most cases, a boo-boo won't immediately ruin the motor, so as long as it lasts through the warranty period, good enough

If a failure should happen outside of warranty, then the typical response is "TFB you're SOL so KMA."

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Oct 19 2007, 09:34 AM) [snapback]527730[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately, as in this case, one sometimes does not have reason to doubt them until after the fact.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Oct 19 2007, 11:08 AM) [snapback]527771[/snapback]</div>
    Or always check the oil level before driving away. For that matter it's a good idea even if one changed it ones' self.

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Oct 19 2007, 09:07 AM) [snapback]527720[/snapback]</div>
    That last part sounds waaaaaaaaaaay too realistic.

[sigh] I fear you're right.

----------------------

On another note, has anyone noticed that you can make most any statement sound naughty...just by appending it with the word, 'ladies'...?

This topic is a great example...

"I just had my oil changed."
    vs.
    "I just had my oil changed...ladies."

See what I mean?
    [laughing]