1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning light -red triangle - but no code. How can I read Toyota code? dr prius/torque/techstream?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DCGen2Prius, Sep 22, 2020.

1. DCGen2Prius

DCGen2Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry if this has been answered elsewhere - can't find it in my searches.

I am dealing with failing HV battery modules and have done a temporary 'whack a mole' with some balancing/testing to tide me over while I seek a rebuilt or new HV battery.

No CEL, and continue to have the headlight angle error/warning pop up that i've always ignored. I just now realized there are toyota scan codes I"m not getting - or don't know how to get.

i am using Dr. Prius to look at my battery blocks - and have added the prius PID's to torque - for further data, etc. Can I use either of these to tell me the reason for master warning light - i.e. "triangle of death" - when there is no check engine light set?

Do I need techstream (i've run across this before but never focused on it - but perhaps it's time I got it - seems like i need a harness and a win7 laptop?).

Thanks for any info pointing me to reading 'hidden' codes associated with the red triangle - ideally with dr. prius or torque - or letting me know if I have to get techstream to get this further info.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Dr Prius isn't showing any codes?

3. DCGen2Prius

DCGen2Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no - but I'm only using the free version of dr. prius.
    i do have the paid version of torque pro.
    nither of these show a battery or engine code - even though red triangle and little headlight wobble symbol are displayed. (maybe it's just that headlight leveler thing).

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it is exactly this. It is telling you there is a fault with the headlight auto leveling system.

5. DCGen2Prius

DCGen2Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks dolj.

are there any toyota specific codes - that can be present but aren't to the level of CEL that I can't 'see' with obd/torque/dr. prius? or does anything that 'trips' the red triangle either have a code - or a symbol I can look up (like the wobbly headlight)?

THanks!

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not really a question of level. The message information light (MIL aka CEL) comes on if the ECM sets a code. The master warning light (MWL aka the red triangle) may or may not come on as well. Other ECUs set codes that light the other (and corresponding) warning lights and may or may not also light the MWL. Of what you can be sure is that if there are warning lights (other than the MWL) there are diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) set in the corresponding ECU. You can have history and/or pending DTCs which do not light any warning lights until such time as they become current. There are some "codes" that set but are not "trouble codes" as such (more informational) and do not light any lights, e. g. B1421, B2795, etc.
    Mostly yes, but there are situations that will "trip" the MWL, but not have a corresponding DTC. The "wobbly headlight" is one of those. The "wobbly headlight" and the MWL is all you will get when the headlight leveling system has a fault.

#6 dolj, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    SFO likes this.