1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning lights come on and off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bonnie Demetro, Nov 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Bonnie Demetro

Bonnie Demetro New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So first off I'm new here on the chat. Hope I'm posting in the right place. I got my 06 Prius 3 days ago upon moving to Florida. It drives fine but issue I'm having is the warning lights come on and off. The red triangle and the one for brakes and then the word "problem" pops up on the instrument panel the car beeps and a car with a exclamation sign pops up. Then they will all go away and it'll be fine for a couple hours. What on earth is going on? I don't know if it's related but I did have to jump the car when I bought it. Any info will be much appreciated. Trying to get a clue since I don't know any mechanics here in town yet.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's never a good idea to buy a car that needs a jump start. The stored codes will not be available if the battery is dead, potentially hiding serious problems with an electric/hybrid vehicle.

I would go have the battery tested and see if it needs replacement. Fully charge/replace the battery if needed. Then have the car looked over to see what codes return after the battery is in good health

3. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    obtain an obd 2 scanner! they are cheap and really helpful with diagnosing the lights/codes

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would assume that one of the brake system ecu's (computer) is detecting an intermittent fault and is warning you about it. Might want to first check all fluids underhood- engine oil, coolant in the radiator and inverter tank, as well as brake fluid level.

If warning lights and the beeper come on then there should be diagnostic trouble codes in one of the computers in the car. You should have a shop check all systems for codes. Thing is most OBD2 scantools are not capable of "talking" to all of the 14-16 systems on a Gen2 Prius. So you might have to look for a place that can do it.

Another possibility is to (carefully) jumper two specific pins of the diagnostic port under the dash with a short length of wire (with the ends stripped). This will signal some of the ecu's to flash their warning lights in a sequence. If you note which light flashes how many times (helps to take a video), then you can figure out what system has what codes. Use the search feature to look for "flash codes" in the Gen2 forums to locate the procedure.

From there you can look for what those codes mean in the service manual- if you use google you should be able to find a digital manual (on google drive?)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.