1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning lights; need some opinions....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusrecon, Apr 7, 2017.

1. priusrecon

priusrecon Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Guys;

Any idea what this means? (See pics)

[IMG

dash

[IMG

MFD

[IMG

both

Started driving home, about 30 seconds into the drive, a beep occured and all these dash
    lights came on. Stopped immediately to check engine oil and all fluids, all were fine.

Drove it rest of the way home, about 5 miles, car drove fine and behaved normally, but
    these lights are always on now. Every time I start it now, these lights come immediately
    on, so I've stopped driving the car.

Later took it on a short test drive. Car drove normally as usual, only difference is SOC
    meter seems erratic. Other than that, everything works and feels normal.

First time I've had a problem with this car. It is a 2006 Prius with about 118,000 miles
    on it, with regular maintenance, etc. 12 V battery replaced last summer, key FOB battery
    replaced last summer.

Anything other than this, I usually deal with myself, but Priuses are a mystery to me with
    the hybrid system. Will be taking it to a dealership when they open on Monday. In the meantime?...

Thanks for the help;

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guess is that the traction battery has failed.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    time to pull the trouble codes. how long do you plan to keep it, and how much are you willing to spend?

4. priusrecon

priusrecon Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello again;

I have a spare traction batt I bought last year from a salvage yard out of a wrecked Prius.
    It's been sitting in the garage all winter, and I have no idea of it's state of health or
    it's history. I assummed it was completely discharged as the junkyard guy told me something
    like "...it only has two volts in it...."

Today I pulled it out and tested the module voltages. It turned out to have quite a charge in
    it actually, 60V in the shorter stack and 131V in the longer stack of modules with the safety
    plug removed. Open circuit voltages on the modules all seemed to be over seven volts,
    which all immediately went away once I applied a load using a car headlight on each module.
    Closed circuit load testing showed 16 modules started in the high sixes and faded maybe a tenth
    or two to maybe down to 6.2V. The remainders dropped down to around 5V, with a few dropping to 4V,
    and one to 3V. Two of the modules started below 1V and went to zero. These numbers were after
    driving the car headlight for 60 seconds.

One module started the test at 5V, but held steady at 5V for the entire duration. (Is it more
    important to be steady, or to have a higher voltage, especially if you don't know the battery's
    state of charge in the first place?) --- This was the salvaged battery out of the junked Prius.

I'm next going to test the batt currently installed in my car.

Q1-
    When I run these tests on the one in my car, what numbers should I expect to see on a module
    that is good, and what number should I consider as bad (needs replacing)? I don't want static
    voltages, I want the numbers under load. (I see too many YouTube videos where the guy just hooks
    up a meter to a cell and says, "7.8 volts....Yup, looks fine!")

Am I giving the modules under load sufficient time to fade in these tests, or do I need to
    beat on them for longer? (Most of the modules I've seen fail seemed to dip within the first
    10-45 seconds)

Q2-
    My car is still driving, and after the mechanic cleared the Warning Lights, he said just drive it
    until the warning light comes on again before calling him back. There were NO CODES thrown from
    that incident. It's been a week now, and no warning lights or anything have shown up, however the SOC
    meter is very erratic, and my milage is pretty poor these days.

Whereas I used to be able to glide a mile or so on certain stretches on the electric motor, now the gas
    engine is continually running to top off the battery.

Is my currently installed battery a candidate for module cell replacement, for should I try one
    of those "Grid Charging/Reconditioning" products first?

Q3-
    Can one of those "Grid Charger"s charge up that old salvaged battery I have while it's not installed
    in a car?

and Q4-
    Are grid chargers REALLY worth it, or a placebo like those people who swear by health products at GNC?

Thank you for reading what is probably a long and rambling post,

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need some sort of charger to get the entire pack refilled and balanced.

If it were me, I'd do the whole job at once with a pack charger/discharger setup. (build your own or purchased)

You can do the same thing with a small charger that does 1 module at a time, but doing 28 modules takes a heck of a lot longer. Plus you have to dismantle the pack to do it.

If your pack does not have a shorted cell/module, than a charger/discharger setup will certainly help bring the pack back.

Other factors like internal resistance and self discharge are still at play, of course.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My charger from hybrid automotive works great. Can't imagine messing around with a battery pack and not owning a charger.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If someone has a ton of free time and doesn't need a reliable car, and is having fun going through the pack module by module, I say go for it.

Otherwise, skip it.

Raytheeagle likes this.