1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning Lights - Troubleshooting before Dealer tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by aaronlife, Jul 19, 2015.

1. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was using the display only, not the multi-meter, mine stopped working awhile back and I haven't gotten a new battery for it; I read the display diagnostic will read lower than a voltmeter due to the various loads put on the battery by the system (display, etc.), so I'm guessing the battery if 12.5 on the display, may in fact be a couple tenths higher? I doubt that's low enough to throw codes while the car is warmed up and driving. I did notice today that the car seemed to discharge quickly and recharged quickly to almost all green... and I also noticed the car seemed to be green more often after having the brake pump replaced, and I seemed to be getting better mileage, so all of this is odd. I am still seeing movement in the inverter coolant reservoir in ready mode.

2. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    note, the alternator is charging it at 14.4, i meant 12.5 without load. Based on various tests it averages 11.9 - 12 with minimal load test, low to mid 11 range with lights on, fan on, defrost on, even after sitting overnight. That jives with what elearnaid says is good for a new battery.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best.(y)

4. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    UPDATE: Dealer called to say there are a bunch of codes, most of which relate to the work that was done, and one related to the battery (I think he may have said hybrid battery, I can't recall), and he is going to call me back once they have looked at the car and figured out just what is causing all these codes... at this point they have no idea what's going on with the car.

bisco likes this.
  5. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dealer says initial signs pointing to hybrid battery issues, there is a Toyota rep who is going to be in today, he wants to go over things with him, if it is the battery, he said he would ask about extending warranty coverage given $3K in recent repairs, MA warranty of 10yr/150K vs the FL warranty that applies because I bought car there... will see... I have a lead on a place in Worcester that is repairing the batteries... Greasy's Garage.

bisco likes this.
  6. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    UPDATE 2:

Greasy's Garage quoted approximately $1900 for a rebuilt batter installed with 6 month warranty or $2100 for rebuilt installed with 18 month warranty, or $3100 for a new cell battery installed with 48 month warranty.

Prius Kings quoted $995 plus $50 per module to fix my battery with no warranty beyond the repair, $350 to install a used one with no warranty beyond the repair, and $1650 for a rebuilt battery with 3 month warranty or $1800 for 6 month warranty.

I'll have the car back in Florida in October, so I'm not sure what good a warranty beyond 3 months will be...

Or I could buy a rebuilt battery myself and pay to put it in (don't want to do it myself), which might be the best deal if I can get a good warranty on the part. I can get the Dorman from Advance Auto parts for around $1000 with their current sale and by using Ebates. I have heard mixed things about Dorman.

7. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just talked to GreenTec, they will do 18 month warranty installed for $1500 and they have shops in both CT and Florida where I am part of the year, so that may be the best solution, I'll keep y'all posted, and post the results on a new hybrid battery specific thread if that's indeed what is wrong with my car.

bisco likes this.
  8. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    6 month warranty is $1250 installed, btw.

9. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The dealer is attempting to get a good will warranty or similar break from Toyota to replace the hybrid battery, they confirmed it's the issue. The car was first registered in Florida, and I have it registered there still, so the Massachusetts 10 year/150K mile warranty is not applicable.

10. geekwithoutacause

geekwithoutacause Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are they sure the 12v battery is good ? That thing can cause a lot of issues.

11. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll start new thread, Toyota refused to help out with repair in any way, dealer wants $6000 to replace hybrid battery... unbelievable.

12. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They said they are sure it's hybrid battery. I am not surprised, it did seem to always be low in the morning recently and would charge and discharge quickly sometimes.