1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WARNING: Monroe Quick Struts ruined my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by T.S. Elliot, Mar 2, 2018.

1. T.S. Elliot

T.S. Elliot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello all. This is a follow up to this post: 2007 rides rough after new struts | PriusChat

Upon recommendation, I took my car to a local shop. They did a complete vehicle inspection. I told them to specifically inspect the control arms. I told them the reason I was bringing the car in because it rides on cinder blocks even though the struts are brand new. They claimed the control arms were fine but that the front struts were bad and they could replace them under warranty. They also recommended sway bars. I was hesitant because the front behaves the same as the rear, but I agreed in desperation. When the mechanic came and told me it would take a couple of thousand miles for the struts to break in and the ride to improve I knew that I got hosed before I even stepped into the car. $500 warranty replacement + $1000 originals = $1500 in struts that give a worse ride quality than if I had no suspension at all.

I knew Monroe was not recommended before I even replaced the original struts hence I asked the original shop to give me something besides Monroe. They said it was not possible. This is where I begin to get confused. All I wanted was KYB like recommended and was willing to pay more but was told I couldn't. Again at the new shop I told them I wanted something besides Monroe Quick Strut because I believed to be the source of the problem. The shop manager told me all everybody only uses is Monroe.

Here is videos of my car on the road. Note the ride quality. You can also hear the dash rattle that developed as a result. Please note I was never much over 30 mph.

Now I am completely fucked. $1500 wasted in an attempt to fix a problem that is still there. I no longer enjoy driving this car. I knew it was a risk putting money into an older car but this Prius only has 120k on it. At the time, $1000 for 100k miles of good ride quality and handling seemed to be worth every penny.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sometimes you just gotta follow your gut feeling and say "NO" to what you know is inferior. You got talked into something even you knew wasn't going to be good.

If you want to buy the OEM parts from online Toyota shops, like camelback toyota, it would cost under $400 for the front and rear struts combined. Talk with the shop and tell them you'll supply them with new parts, they would need to replace the crap they put in your car for FREE.

So maybe $400 will give you back your nice ride again

Edit: After seeing your video again, it may be other worn parts that's making the noise. Maybe some guys with more suspension experience can comment on this

#2 JC91006, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    m.wynn likes this.
  3. T.S. Elliot

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    JC - you are 100% correct. It was a mistake, but I can't dwell on it. Learn from the past, and move on.

Why doesn't KYB make a strut plus assembly for this car? Is that why the shops didn't want to **** with KYB? What good is a damn shop then if they won't do what I can't (compress new spring as part of new component assembly). I have decided that even though I have never done struts myself, it is time to learn. I am so sick of this BS and I want to save my car. I am confident that if I get struts with the springs already compressed and installed I can figure it out. Is this job doable on a Prius? Anything special I need to be aware of? I just saw a YT vid of a Camry strut replacement and it didn't seem terrible.

I assume Duralos are complete shit? I've learned my lesson. Where did all the quality go? What assemblies do I buy? 2007 Toyota Prius Strut Front Left - With Spring 75-21769 DC

This brings me to another point, how can Monroe Quick Struts just be completely useless out of the box? I understand that quality is on a continuum and that Monroe is on the bottom, but these struts literally don't work at all brand new... How can that be????!?!? I just don't understand it. If I replace them on my own do I have any recourse with Monroe?

4. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    KYB makes the oem struts, they also supply an aftermarket set for the front or rear, and IMHO the aftermarket is better than the oem, you also need to replace the upper parts for the struts and seals, then you need an alignment of you replace the font struts.

For example

KYB® - Strut-Plus™ Complete Strut Assembly

5. T.S. Elliot

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ok great thanks for this. So it looks like I will buy these new KYB assemblies and attempt to install them myself. Sorry for the noob/stupid questions, but I need to make sure I understand everything before I proceed. when you say "replace the upper parts for the struts and seals" is this something different than removing and re-installing the entire assembly? What seals do I need to replace?

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Based "just on your videos" you have other issues. The banging/knocking/whatever over bumps would point one towards bushings and/or isolation attach mounts/hardware.

T.S. Elliot likes this.
  7. T.S. Elliot

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes you may be correct. In which case the new struts are fine. Maybe shitty, but not the source. I want to know why these shops can't find them then??!? I have taken it to 2 different shops now and I asked them why the car rides like complete shit. Last shop was Firestone, paid the 10 bucks for a complete inspection. Mechanic said he really went to work on the control arms and said they were fine. At this point then do I need to take it to Toyota, suck it up, and pay the $80? Seems like Toyota would tell me something even if it ends up just like the previous experience where it was totally unrelated.

I'm grasping at straws. Something is completely fucked and no one can figure it out.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since you do not have a "trusted" independent shop, Toyota might be your wiser choice. At least they know the vehicle.

T.S. Elliot and scona like this.
  9. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    KYB shows a quick strut for the Prius front end in their catalog. I've had good luck with FCS quick struts in older Volvo and Dodge cars. I don't own those cars anymore, so I can't speak to long-term reliability with them.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Monroe’s are total crap but shouldn’t make the noise your hearing
    Sounds to me like the top nut through the
    Steering bearing was never tightened
    So the shock is loose to the chassis and just clanking around
    Take it back to these idiots and drive them around the block and show them
    It’s going to be pretty obvious what’s loose
    I was not able to find a KYB quivk strut
    So bought all the OEM struts and had a shop
    Swap the springs and install everything
    As far as you doing anything if your not really good with tools and don’t have 3 tool boxes full of tools I wound not swap springs myself with out the SST Compression tool
    It’s extremely dangerous and you need a big vice
    The spring has to be completely compressed while you unbolt it and doing that with a sketchy universal compressor is stupid

Many auto parts stores now swap springs
    You bring them the new strut and old strut
    And they have a machine that does it
    Then you just bolt it back on
    It’s a shitload of work.

And then when your all done the car still rides like a stage coach lol

Lucifer likes this.
  11. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I did the struts myself with KYB and it took a little under 6 hours for a all 4 with a manual spring compressor i got from amazon... shops have machines for that that do a much better job at a much faster speed. I find it ridiculous that they wouldn't let you get the KYBS. KYBS are around 300 for the set of 4.. you can reuse the spring as they are just fine at 120k miles.. heck my 225k prius still uses the same springs from the day it was made with no issues.

12. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Lucifer and edthefox5 like this.
  13. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    When I did my front and rears I didn't see the complete units til after I sourced the individual items, this would have been the tits. Goes to show how long it's been since I did struts/shocks they didn't have complete units. :LOL:

Lucifer and edthefox5 like this.
  14. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'd buy the alternative top hat part as they cost much less and perform exactly the same as the oem:
    I used this one and it cost 27 when i bought it at the time now it's 22.. after 40k miles still perfect. I reused all my parts for the rear mount.. as they were still in perfect condition except the strut itself. All you need is thetop heat, front rubber inserts parts, the 4 struts, reuse the springs.

My complete part list was as follows (i ordered the rear top rubber pieces but did not use since they were virtually new after 180k miles. ):

4815847010 front suspension, suspension components, lower insulator Left 1 $0.00 $10.78 $10.78
    4815847010 front suspension, suspension components, lower insulator Right 1 $0.00 $10.78 $10.78
    4815702070 front suspension, suspension components, upper insulator Left 1 $0.00 $16.48 $16.48
    4815702070 front suspension, suspension components, upper insulator Right 1 $0.00 $16.48 $16.48
    4825702040 rear suspension, suspension components, upper insulator Left 1 $0.00 $9.80 $9.80
    4825702040 rear suspension, suspension components, upper insulator Right 1 $0.00 $9.80 $9.80

2 x

1 x

1 x

Enjoy!

They do have the complete ones for 140-160 each as well.. and they have a 100 off all 4 promo via kyb i believe atm till 4/30.

Lucifer likes this.
  15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like Olathe too. They actually called me once after an online order and said there was a mistake in the picture and part number and fixed it for me. They have my business.

No shop that I know of uses hand spring compressor anymore they all have machines. Too much liability with a hand compressor. Dangerous as hell.
    The stored energy of a car spring fully compressed is like a canon if it busts loose.

its was like almost a $100 for the strut and the the boots and the bump cushion and the steering bearing. You must replace the steering bearing too. The entire weight of the front of the car sits on that bearing. It takes a beating. The difference in steering effort with a new bearing is very noticeable. Nice and easy to steer.

Lucifer likes this.
  16. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    When I did mine I got the manual compressors from one of the parts places that loans them out. I agree that they are potentially dangerous, and appreciate your concerns. My take, you diy, just take it slowly, don't put your appendages and head in the way of possible flying parts it should be fine.

The bearing was the primary reason for replacement. Mine would require a little jerk to get from straight line to slight steering wheel movement. It was annoying, but could be dangerous under the wrong conditions.

edthefox5 likes this.
  17. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Wait.. the bearing.. i've never changed mine at 215k miles.. and the steering wheel is a bit off.. got a part number? Would love to know it.

Lucifer likes this.
  18. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In my post #12, look at the diagram part 10, strut mount, p/n 48609-13010.

19. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Isn't that just the strut top mount, does it effect steering at all?

20. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That mount contains the bearing, there is a grease cover that goes over it that holds the nut an washer for the strut shaft. When you turn the steering wheel the bearing rotates and allows smooth steering motion.