1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WARNING: Monroe Quick Struts ruined my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by T.S. Elliot, Mar 2, 2018.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Last time I did a spring removal I was using a universal and it slipped off about halfway compressed. Holy crap it went 20 feet and hit the side of my house really hard. Never again.

donbright and Montgomery like this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Ed, see the following video from KYB at time mark 3:55-4:05. The mount and bearing is one piece. This is what I got when I sourced them separately.

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I can see how that would give you pause. Fortunately, mine went routine, that's the way I like it. ;)

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was able to remove the top nuts from the top of the strut without removing the windshield wiper assembly. The only thing is you can't get a torque wrench on the nuts. It is tight in there but it can be done.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Oh I see the entire strut including the mount. very nice.

7. Manuel Orellana

Manuel Orellana Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a 2005 Prius making a horrible noise from the rear driver's side, everytime I go over a bump it makes a loud high pitched sound, I took the car to the shop and they replaced both rear struts with quickstruts from UNITY, I had never heard of them and the sound is still there, everytime you go over a bump it sounds like you have a loud cricket in the back it's driving me nuts and it's making me hate driving, it's fine if i'm on my own in the car, it will go off once in a while but passangers forget about it everytime you go over a bump it makes the stupid noise, reading this thread leads me to believe that while there may not be anything wrong with the quickstrut it may be the brand in the end (they had to replace both spring and strut) , the sad part is I dropped 800 bucks on that repair and the problem isn't fixed and at this point the shop barely wants to deal with me, they said they would replace the noisy strut but if that doesn't work they're done. I have a thread on this in another post but I haven't heard anything from anyone that can shed some light on it, on this post I learned that perhaps going with KYB is the better choice.

8. hadesnuggz

hadesnuggz New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So looking through this thread, the Monroe's quick struts did NOT ruin your Prius. This thread pops up first if you search "gen 2 Prius Monroe struts"

Seems really fishy. Considering 99% of the reviews I see online are favorable of these shocks.

9. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Generally, most quick struts are "OK", in that they fit, and need less time - money - tools vs separate OE parts.

The most common gripes I read about are that the new springs are noticeably higher (partially because they're "new" compared to tired originals, partially because the springs are too stiff), or that the AM parts ($) don't last as long as OE ($$$).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.