1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning: NEVER head in the garage!

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by CaliforniaPrius, Dec 23, 2016.

1. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I sympathize!

On my 2009 Gen-2 (much more disappointing on a new Prime, I'm sure!), I recently pulled the owner's manual out of the trunk, unthinkingly leaving the tailgate open. I then opened the garage and immediately started backing out, and crashed the tailgate into the garage door!

While my Gen-2 is not as new as your Prime, the damage to both the car and the garage door was vastly worse: It actually partially derailed the garage door from its tracks, and bent the bottom edge of the door! If I'd gone much farther, it could have derailed it entirely, causing the then-horizontal garage door to fall onto the car!

After a bunch of hosing around with it, I finally re-railed (?) the garage door, re-engaged the pulley that pulls the door up, touch-up painted the scars on the tailgate, and replaced the hydraulic pushrods that open the tailgate.

Could have been a pretty big disaster, but I managed to fix it all!

Now I've pretty much gotten used to backing into the garage. That was not particularly prompted by my garage-crashing event though; it's mostly in preparation for parking my P.Prime when it arrives. That, so that I can really easily and quickly/habitually plug it in often and/or every time I park in the garage.

iPad ? Pro

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So the thread is 9 pages long and no one has tried moving the strut mounts to either of the other two positions on the hatch that would lower the opening height? :confused: