1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WARNING!! Prius Attacks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wardplace, Nov 23, 2004.

1. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"52428)</div>
    Well, the best deterrance is that for the most part, repairs and such would need to go through a Toyota dealership. Regular wrench-jockies at a local service station just aren't going to be working on this car which helps reduce the possibility that stolen (or I suppose, counterfit) parts would be used to repair it.

Dave

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that has never stopped a thief before... realize that many car theft rings usually have some inside contacts for fencing parts through legitimite channels.

car theft is big business, dont cut em short...you would be surprized at what they can do.

3. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you wonder who would attack a Prius (verbally & possibly physically), this may be a good example:

XMFAN - Why the Toyota Prius is a ripoff

They are so misinformed, it's unbelievable. And I have to read through this crap just to view XM radio set up inside a Prius? Joy ...

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow what a bunch of bull... but very believeable. i constantly defend challenges along the very same lines as was presented in the post.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just checked out your link to XMFan. Holy s*** those folks are SCARY!

I really get nauseated by some redneck driving a [insert Chevy, Ford, Dodge] who will swear upon his mom's grave that his [insert Chevy, Ford, Dodge] is the best thing since sliced bread, Pop Tarts, and oxygen.

:pukeright:

"The new Chevy's are a LOT better than the old pre-2000 ones ... "

:pukeright:

I bought a brand new 2000 GMC Sierra with AutoTrak and the Vortec 5.3 V8. When the AutoTrac worked, it worked very well. When it randomly quit on me, the Driver Information Center would scroll SERVICE 4WD in scary amber letters.

Let's not forget the puddle of gear oil on my garage floor when the stupid thing only had 2,000km on it. Had a bad pinion seal.

Let's not forget the knocking noise the motor started making when it was only 5 months old and had less than 6,000km on it. The dealer claimed it was "carbon deposits." I then heard about www.pistonslap.com and told my dealer "carbon deposits my a**!"

By the time I traded my Sierra at 72,000km, it knocked like an old diesel. And I was very anal-compulsive about OCI and using synthetics. In summer, Mobil 1 15W-50 helped quiet the knock. I had to use a 0W-30 in winter due to low temps, and the thing REALLY knocked then.

Let's not forget about how GM made fun of Toyota for having drum brakes on the rear axle when they went to four wheel disks, with that nifty "drum in hat" parking brake setup. GM claimed "superior" braking performance and accused Toyota of being backwards.

My parking brakes needed adjusting every 3-4 months or they wouldn't hold - I guess that's what "P" is for, right? Rear pads shot after 35,000km of mostly highway driving.

Oh, let's not forget that for 2005, GM quietly abandoned the rear disks and went back to DRUM BRAKES for all their fullsize pickup trucks. Oops, their bad.

Let's not forget that GM always touts the "Made in America Support Your Jobs" bulls***. Hmmm, most of the components are sourced in Mexico or China. The new Chevy Aveo is made in S. Korea, etc etc.

Saw a neat bumper sticker last year on a jacked Chevy Silverado: "I'd sooner push a Chevy then drive a Toyota." :pukeright:

The nice thing about being a Toyota owner, even when you do have problems, is that you just don't encounter the same wild-eyed, deranged bunch of folks who "forgot" to take their medication.

About the only time I have to encounter folks like that is the Drive Through Window. Good Lord, I still can't get over XMFan. Nasty.

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :lol: :lol: THANKS for the "XMFAN" link. I really needed a good laugh today. It being Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for the numerous advantages to being a Prius owner. Did you notice all the *ANGER* in the postings in XMFAN? I would expect they are the highly agressive drivers who tailgate us, wildly swerve from lane to lane and generally endanger sensible drivers.

Every time I re-fuel my Prius, I quietly *grin* thinking about the SUV driver at the next pump and HIS fuel bill. Every time I'm stopped at a traffic light, I quietly *grin* thinking about the SUV nearby spouting pollution and burning expensive fuel as I silently and efficiently sit there waiting for the light to change.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to my fellow Prius drivers..!!

7. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt\";p=\"52729)</div>
    You are welcome about the link. And Happy Thanksgiving to you & everyone here, too.

There are nice Prius members at XMFAN forums and they have been defending our rides in a very gentlemanly way, we have to give them credits for that.

Regarding your SUV comments, I plead all guilty as I still have this 7-year-old Toyota 4Runner here parked next to my new Prius. I will elaborate more in a separate new post. Don't want to side-track this thread too much.

Edward

8. jchu

jchu New Member

I also read through all of the currently 8 pages of posts on xmfan and agree the vitriol from the GM guys and the incredible amount of misinformation was so over the top as to become humorous. I was also glad to see that there was at least one voice there trying to address some of the downright lies being propogated. Did he succeed? It doesn't appear so but it is important that at least an attempt to address the GM zealot position. A few will take the time to learn the true story.

P.S. Also noticed in a link within xmfan, to a GM article in that thread about their abandoning their current CVT in favor of a 6 and 7 speed automatic transmission. Within that article was a mention of GM also working on a PLANETARY GEAR TRANSMISSION!!!! Wonder how that one is set up.

and Danny the "capslock on" warning popup is cool, though in this one instance didn't seem applicable.

9. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

I have had a close encounter to idiots that tryed to key my Lancer Evo 8. Luckly I always park my car as close to me as possible, and also visible if possible. I cought the little F***ERS and almost beat the S*** out of both of them. :cussing:
    I think that people do these things is because they dislike these types of cars and envy them.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would have to say that envy is +90% of it. If I don't like a car or truck, my stomach gurgles and I quickly walk away.

Perhaps if more people beat the s*** out of those little f******, those little f****** might think twice before committing their random acts of violence.

I wouldn't have a problem if a cop beat the s*** out of them either. We've given far too many rights to criminals, while taking rights away from victims.

11. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't think my Prius was attacked because it was a Prius, but I suffered a Prius attack.

While driving home a recently late at night (around 1am) I felt a *thud*. I just assumed I was hit by yet another rock (already have a ding on the hood) so I continued home.

When I got home, I found out the *thud* was actually a paintball slamming into my hood! My car was shot!!! Luckily it washed off really easily and didn't stain, but if they had hit the windshield that could have been messy!

12. Kosame

Kosame New Member

So sorry to hear about your Prius being vandalized. What an awful thing. Just curious...did you have a bumper sticker or license plate that suggested anything "anti-"? I was wondering if your Prius was attacked simply because it was a Prius/Hybrid or because of a "visual statement" that you had on your car.

Fortunately, my neighborhood in Los Angeles is extremely progressive/forward thinking (I see more Prii in my neighborhood than anywhere else in LA) so I'm hoping it wouldn't happen here. I work in Downtown LA (on the street...Hybrids get free parking at the street meters) and that kind of worries me.

Amusing story: Friends and I went down to the Orpheum Theatre in Downtown LA for the premiere of the movie, "National Treasure". (It was a premiere sponsored by the LA Conservancy). Drove through the "dangerous", not-so-nice-area of downtown at night, and a transient fellow who was walking in front of the Prius yelled out to an imaginary being saying, "Now that's what I want! Toyota Prius...It gets a damn 60 miles per gallon in the city. Don't you think it's nice?" I loved the fact that he knew about it!

Kosame

13. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kosame\";p=\"54019)</div>
    A year ago that guy was happily married, had a good job, and was a respected member of his community. What you witnessed was the result of being on a waiting list for eleven months and the subsequent insanity caused by long-term "Prius Fever".

14. justwatchme

justwatchme New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SyZyGy\";p=\"53126)</div>
    why would anyone key an evo? those things are amazing! :oops: im hoping i can afford a used evo when i trade in my prius when im done with my payments :wink: