1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning Prius Owners of 2010-14.....Get this recall to save your life!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by sherbrankitty, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't shun our dealership. I'm in there at least every 6 months, to pick up oil change supplies at the parts counter, and they always ask my phone number, which in turn brings up VIN and stat's. And I do bring it in for all the recalls. And email the service manager occasionally with a question. And of late there's been an ongoing saga of brake system warning lights, which the service department has checked out. Yeah, they've heard about me, lol.

mertechperformance likes this.
  2. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It isn't this label, is it? This looks to be from the factory.

Attached Files:

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had to ask for it because I read it somewhere (PriusChat?) that dealers were forgetting to put the stickers on because they were in a hurry to update the cars. My local dealer ran out of stickers and I had to return to get it applied.

Attached Files:

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for that Tideland. I've emailed my service manager. Dammit I want my sticker. :ROFLMAO:

5. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're late to the party...By 1 year and 7 months ago

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I was thinking a 5 year loan on a 2010 lol.

Here, go to this website

Toyota Owners Official Web Site

You can find a lot of information such as the owner's manual (in case you lose yours), recall campaigns, how-to videos and so much more. Sign up as well so that you're notified of any TSBs or recalls even if you don't take your vehicle to the dealership.

Np.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you like your local mechanic, I'd suggest that you stay with him. In the long run, he is likely to provide better service.

There are others way to make up for missing recalls, such as by entering service information into Toyota owner's website yourself (see Tideland's post for the link).

8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the heads up OP. 1 recall doesn't make a bad hybrid. I lost count on my coworker's 2003 Fors Focus, it numbered 13 at my last count.

Unfortunately, there are few cars that never have a recall. To be blunt, your mistake was not buying a hybrid. Your mistake was not checking regularly whether a recall had been issued.

mertechperformance and PLSPUSH like this.
  9. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Now I'm all excited because I can't find my modification label. I do have a service log entry at a 50,000 mile service on May 16, 2014 that lists this:

[10TOZE0E] [tech 209 RICHARD CORDOVA] E0E CAMPAIGN
    0h 0m
    Description: E0E CAMPAIGN
    Complaint: CHECK FOR DTCS P0A94, P324E, P3004 AND/OR P0A1A. IF NO DTCS PRESENT, VERIFY ECM CALIBRATIONS.
    Correction: REFLASH THE MG ECM WITH THE NEW SOFTWARE. REFLASH THE POWER MANAGEMENT ECM WITH THE NEW SOFTWARE. INSTALL AN AUTHORIZED MODIFICATION LABEL.

I purchased the vehicle at 54,000 miles. Does this look like the recall in question? I looked around the internet for EOE Campaign and nothing comes up. And I can't tell from the service entry if this was performed or not. I am assuming that "Correction" was what was performed. Except for the authorized modification label, which I can't find. There is a label where the rest of the labels are around the driver side door that says something about the load capacity for the vehicle being reduced by 10 lbs due to some modification. I will ask my service writer the next time I'm there.

10. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, the E0E is the recall to save your life!!! Well, maybe just to save your inverter... I believe this also means a warranty extension of 15 years or unlimited mileage on the inverter IPM, but this is not verified.

11. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Three Prius' and it is best car I have ever owned . That includes (all new) 2 Caddys, 2 Mercedes, 4 Hondas, 5 Chevys, 1 Olds, 1 Corolla, 4 VW Diesel Rabbits, 1 Buick, 2 Dodge Caravans. Prius has been pretty much problem free and I go to the dealer for oil changes with a $10 coupon. Still stand out back and make sure the mechanic puts oil in the car before he starts it up.:):D

mertechperformance and bisco like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here.(y) okay, our hycam is almost as good.:p

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The extended warranty is limited. It covers failures only under specific conditions.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Some owners have got a letter saying their warranty is extended. I really doubt it's a blanket warranty though. Not sure what's going on, only certain areas?

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn...I didn't get my sticker, although I did have the recall done.
    When I mentioned it to the dealership, they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about.
    I even posted a few posts here "complaining" that I didn't get the sticker.

The majority response when I complained that I hadn't got the sticker was to just forget it, it wasn't important.

Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't bring the subject up again next time I go to the dealership.

16. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Understood, Jim (and Mendel), but in looking around here at threads regarding IPM failure on E0E updated Prii, I've found all report full coverage whether they've received the ZE3 letter or not. Granted, the car needs to be storing P0A94, P324E, P3004 AND/OR P0A1A. Thus my thinking that IPM failure is covered by ZE3 so long as you've had the life saving E0E. And no, I haven't received the ZE3 letter, damn it!

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    call toyota, maybe they can send you one.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's "E <zero> E" not "E "oh" E" as you have written. Perhaps that's why you can't find it?

Don't take the following as legal advice but based on the description, it sounds like the campaign. Of course it's best to clarify with the dealership.

Check to see if you can find the recall for your vehicle on the Toyota website. You'll need your VIN handy.

Lookup Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns by VIN

Well the sticker helps potential used car buyers when you sell the car, that the recall has been done. The reason for the sticker is because it's an actual modification to the ECU code to modify its behaviour (as you can see in my attached photo in the previous page, it's an "authorised modification" that's "approved by the EPA". I don't know if it's because the ECU flash changes emissions or power output that requires the EPA's approval.

I would at least ensure that your service record has a note of it being performed.

The Electric Me likes this.
  19. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I will clarify the situation at my next oil change. I only did a half-hearted search for the campaign anyway. The E zero E is listed in my Toyota Owners Group profile maintenance record, just not certain it was performed (no letter or modification tag).

20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The extended warranty applies if E0E was performed and one of those codes are set. If the inverter fails without setting one of the codes then Toyota isn't picking up the bill.