1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[WARNING] Running out of gas (Gen III)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by steve44, Jun 29, 2009.

?
  1. 0 times

62.1%
  2. 1-2 times

29.3%
  3. 3-5 times

6.9%
  4. 6-9 times

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 10+

1.7%
  1. steve44

steve44 New Member

Model:
    II
    Edited: Thanks Tideland!

2. XMAN LIVE

XMAN LIVE "Just have Fun!"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In a GenIII? No not yet. I have not got mine yet.:D

Just a FYI, you are missing the point of Gen I, II being able to continue without gas. It was cool feature... Now it is not possible in a Gen III. I can get over it. I do believe it is a lost feature that could even be a mistake that Toyota is going to fix. Prius Team should really review and provide feedback. Due this being a change and not expected that G III would work this way.

I guess you are really trying to gather data for you statistics class or something.

Seems like you should ask more questions like how many years have you been driving, how many miles do you think you have driven in your life. Do you try to only pull over for gas when station is on the correct side of the road? Do you try to get one brand of gas? Have you ever pumped gas? How many years have you been driving? How much money do you make? Is getting gas a hard ship for you? Do you have Alzheimer?

Some people never get gas and let someone else do it. I believe not that long ago there was video of Miss Hilton learning how to put gas in her car. Some people had to push her car up into a gas station and show her how to put gas in it.

Okay... I will just stay to the point, “question” How many time have I ran out of gas?
    3 to 5 times, I hope this helps... good luck...:cheer2:
    Oh, see you added Driving Experience: Good Idea..16-25 years

3. damack1

damack1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oops, sorry, I didn't scroll down and see your instructions until after I'd already clicked on driving experience. Sorry about that.

4. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've run out of gas one time in my mini-van. Never on my Prius, but I've only had it for 2 weeks. I'm on 2 pips now, so will fill-up soon just in case.

5. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I ran out of gas once on the highway in Iowa - during the 70s oil crisis. Dating myself.

Pushed the limit to get a bit cheaper gas outside metro area and went too long. My wife's car, not familiar that 'E' REALLY meant it. Chug-a-chug...dead in the Family Truckster. Fortunately right across the breakdown lane from a gas station. No damage really done except for my pride, and well-deserved dissing from the fam in the car.

Guarantee that I will NEVER run out of gas again.

6. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ooops, I didn't read your warning. Anyway, I haven't run out of gas yet. :)

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes:

• +1 times VW with floor lever
    • +36 times in NHW11
    • 2 times in ZVH30 (2010)
    • +100 times on Yahama 550 motorcycle
    Each time I had a spare can in the Prius or an in-tank reserve in the motorcycle and VW.

I'm planning to run out again in the 2010 Prius, to investigate if there are any undocumented features that might allow the Prius to use traction battery power.

I've been driving since 1966.

Bob Wilson

8. steve44

steve44 New Member

Model:
    II
    Thanks for the information everyone!! Keep it coming

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been edited. You can remove your warning now.

1 person likes this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Twice. Once accidentally, the very first tank of 'my' very first car, with the needle still above E, 30+ years ago.

Once intentionally, on my second car, to see where the bottom was, in an experiment similar to what Bob has been doing with his 2010 Prius.

Not at all in the half-million miles since, despite frequently pushing the fuel gauge well below what many PCer's seem to think is responsible. I push it only where the penalty for screwing up is low, in order to validate tank calibration for going into long stretches that have no fuel available.

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only once in a car, It was a brand new Holden Commodore and the fuel gauge was calibrated incorrectly. Running out on a motorcycle with fuel in the reserve isn't actually running out. I did run right out of fuel on bikes twice, coasted into the service station to refuel. The other time was on my last bike when I was on my way to get fuel. A great guy, a car salesman gave me 4 litres of fuel to get me to a service station!

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh...i thought you were talking about Pri driving only so i clicked zero...

but if talking all cars, i have run out of gas a MILLION times. when i was in college, i was working part time at Employment office under VA work program and going to school. one year, i moved 8 times because i basically had no money to pay for rent, so a group of us would basically conn a landlord into renting to us, we would scrape the initial move in costs and live there as long as we could...if we managed to stay 3 months, we considered ourselves very lucky (or that the landlord had no balls... oh oh!!...am i allowed to say that??)

but i had a kawasaki 650 which was my mode of transportation (also had a Toyota Corona but could never afford to put gas in it and since the tabs were expired, i would get in trouble about 20% of the times when i did drive it!) and ran it out of gas every few days or so...

i would put $2 in it and drive it until it would not go any more then walk it home... great exercise as that thing was not very light!! did this for better part of 2 years until i decided that maybe getting a real job would make my life easier

13. damack1

damack1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've been driving 40+ years, and I've never run out of gas. The closest I ever came was back when I was in college. My brother and I drove cross-country to attend a wedding. On the way back to school, we were driving through Wyoming, where gas stations are (or were) few and far between, and many of them closed early. At a certain point, it had gotten late and we were running low on gas, so we pulled into a closed gas station and spent the night in the car. In the morning, when the station opened, we gassed up and were on our way.

I'm not saying circumstances don't sometimes intervene, but people mostly create their own circumstances.

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aren't you tired?

1 person likes this.
  15. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh heck. My favorite running out of gas story: In the 80's I was in Newport Beach CA, driving my RX7 on fumes. In the left turn lane to go into the gas station, the car said "Sorry, no". Out of nowhere, three really cute guys appeared and quickly pushed the car into the station. Ahhh - my heros!! I started contemplating running out of gas as a way to meet guys. Only briefly. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  16. steve44

steve44 New Member

Model:
    II
  17. Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Twice in my AMC Sportabout in the 70's. Once with enough momentum to coast into a gas station, the second time about two blocks from home. I am much older and wiser now.

18. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Oh, we're going to include -other- vehicles? Well, never in a car. But on motorcycles, that's another story! Like the stupid fuel shutoff petcock on my Yamaha DT200. Poorly labeled, as in when it pointed to the main tank it ran on "reserve". So when I ran out and switched to "reserve" there was no reserve! Add that to a 120 km range, and you can imagine how many times I ran out until I figured out that if you saw a gas station you'd better stop and put the "up to 12" litres into the thing! I don't ride it anymore. My Prius gets better mileage and is more comfortable. :)

19. damack1

damack1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, yes, now you mention it. I could use a nap.