1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning! Spyware Cookies on Priuschat.com

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by naterprius, Jan 14, 2005.

1. tag

tag Senior Member

Thanks! That worked like a charm. :D

I also had to locate the developer's web site but installing the extension was a no-brainer. I wonder why it isn't listed along with the other FF extensions? Seems to work just fine with 1.0. ???

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tag\";p=\"63975)</div>
    I wondered the same thing -- particularly as CookieCuller is an OpenSource project.

Maybe the FireFox web staff have been so busy documenting FAQs, etc., they haven't had a chance to update the extensions page?

(Which reminds me -- I need to contribute some $$ to the FireFox folks.)

3. tag

tag Senior Member

Well, I just encountered a slight problem with the extension. After I click on a thread and then click on "View posts since last visit", the thread still appears. Typically, unless someone else has posted in the interim, the thread will not appear in the list.

I uninstalled the extension and everything returned to normal. Re-installed and wound up with the same anomaly. I suppose this might have something to do with only protecting that one login cookie. I'll have to experiment further.

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I've kept the extension in, but added the other 4 PriusChat cookies to the list.

I wish the CookieCuller author had a feature to say "protect all cookies from this site" -- with PriusChat, I don't mind keeping those cookies around.

I've subscribed to his CookieCuller mailing list -- think I'll see what he's got planned, and see if he's taking suggestions.

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Getting Worse!

Today, I had SIX cookies from the priuschat.com homepage:

from bfast.com, doubleclick.net (higher threat level than the others), tribalfusion.com, and paypal.com.

I'm starting to sour on Prius Chat. I thought I was a contributor here, and thought that I provided more than I took. Perhaps my ego is too large? Maybe my perception is skewed. Someone please take me down a few notches if that's the case.

Maybe only cash matters, since someone needs to keep the lights on. I would have donated by now if it weren't for the fact that paypal is a thief. See www.paypalsucks.com for details.

If Priuschat.com is that strapped for cash, how about reducing the bandwidth required for repeated questions by getting an properly formatted FAQ going? I made an effort at this but the admins of this site have yet to organize this work, forcing many newbies to ask the same questions over and over. This consumes storage space, and consumes bandwidth, both of which could be saved by encouraging the casual user to read the FAQ before posting. However, not doing this increases the traffic statistics, thereby increasing the advertising revenue.

Don't get me wrong, the site has been great, but there has been little evolution as of late. Shouldn't Prius Chat emulate the evolution of the very car we enjoy? Shouldn't it get better at every opportunity?

Spyware cookies are the antithesis of progress. They are status quo, they are anti-independence, they shift power away from the individual, and are generally distasteful.

Of course I block them. But I still don't like it.

Nate

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bookrats\";p=\"63940)</div>
    I couldn’t tell you what my password for PriusChat is . . . um, let me rephrase that . . . I don’t know what my password for PriusChat is. Nor would I want to try to type it each time I want to log in.

I have 28 unique passwords I use often, but I don’t commit any of them to memory or paper.

Firefox will store your user names and encrypted passwords for you. All you need to remember is your one Master Password. If you need to see a password, Firefox will decrypt it and show it once you re-enter your Master Password.

Go to
    TOOLS>OPTIONS>PRIVACY>SAVED PASSWORDS
    and check the box for “Remember Passwords.â€
    Then click on “Change Master Password†. . . Firefox has a built in “Password Quality Meter.†Peg the meter out with something long, nonsensical, with numbers, characters, and upper and lower case letters . . . but make sure it is easy for you to remember!

The first time you visit a web page that needs your stored user name and password, Firefox will ask for your Master. From then on Firefox will input saved user names and passwords as you visit those other web sites for which you have saved passwords. When you enter a new user name and password on a new site, Firefox will ask if you want to save or never save a password for that site. When you exit Firefox passwords are again locked down under the Master Password .

Why is this a good thing?
    1) For example, my PayPal password is 19 characters of pure garbage!
    2) I don’t have to write my passwords down on paper to remember them.
    3) Each site gets its own unique difficult password. I never need to share passwords over several sites just so I can remember what they are.
    4) The passwords are encrypted on the hard drive. A thief can take the computer, but they will never get the passwords.
    5) I never have a reason to store a cookie past the current session.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    geeus... some of you are a bit over the top here!! (only it s only a very few of you)

if you dont like the place then dont come. this is one of the least commercialized sites i have ever been too and its by far the least when you consider the traffic that flows through here.

it takes a lot of time and money to keep this place going and how should that be financed??? would you all rather have membership fees? or would you rather just have it as it is where revenue is made from product sales, premium memberships, etc?

some people dont have the extra money to spend. should they be penalized? i dont think so. we are all here because of our belief in a great product. but its still a product that requires a bit of a learning curve to fully take advantage of the technology.

and i have been (still am) a member of forums that were run by someone who only devoted part time to it. believe me... it aint worth it. more headaches than you can imagine. also forums that are not tightly controlled become over run with spam in quick order.
    this has become my primary forum because it usually doesnt give me additional headaches that other sites do.

8. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"64044)</div>
    Thanks for pointing this out, Patrick -- yet another facet of Firefox that I didn't know about.

In general, I think this is a more secure way to handle passwords than leaving specific cookies lying around (particularly for any site with sensitive information -- which I wouldn't do anyway.)

I use something similar -- an encrypted file that contains all my passwords, which is kept on both my PDA and on my PC (kept in sync via hotsync). To view the passwords, you have to be able to provide a single master password -- just like the Firefox master system.

IE and Windows provide something like this, but from past experience I trust neither their security and encryption methods, nor their morals, so skipped it. I'd feel a lot more comfortable doing this with the Firefox system.

The only two reasons I probably won't use the Firefox password system is:
    • I can already copy and paste passwords quickly from my existing password encryption system back and forth.
    • As far as I can see (and maybe I'm missing something), there's no way to easily export or back up the passwords in the Firefox password system.
    • Finally, I have a "lo-security" password I use for any site that doesn't contain sensitive material -- like PriusChat. Anyplace that contains secure data has its own separate, secure password in my PDA/PC password file.

• Thanks for the heads-up about this feature!

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    in mozilla its

Edit
    Preferences
    privacy and security

then you have passwords and master password categories. set a masterpassword first then go to passwords and click box that says

use encryption when storing sensitive information

and i agree with most that using IE is flirting with disaster. it is almost impossible to lock it down securely. i suffer with IE at work and some databases require humongous encryption which slows the system down to a crawl and considering we have several OC-12 lines there just aint no real good reason to have to wait 5-10 seconds after entering a password before the database starts to load.