1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[warning] two dogs and one piece of chicken

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Dec 14, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So someone put their plate on the floor which one dog thought,"Thank you! A piece of chicken breast, the very thing I've wished for." She took it to the TV room where I noticed but didn't pick up right away.

A few minutes later, the second dog came in the room looking for a piece of chicken. The first dog 'defended' her chicken and the fight was on!

So I reached for the dog collar but my finger found its way into her mouth:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I drove myself to the hospital and three hours and six stiches later, I'm headed home ... seven finger and two thumb typing. Lessons learned:
    1. Make sure no one puts their plate with food on the floor.
    2. If a dog is observed with people food, confiscate it.
    3. Should a dog fight break out, use 'tools' to separate and stop it
    Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh, oh, oh... It's codeine night.

RCO likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope that doesn't put your dogs at risk of confiscation as vicious animals. That was a legal consideration in choosing to not go to local ER after my spouse ignored a friend's dog's warnings to stay away from a certain gate. Fortunately her wounds were less severe, so a call to the health plan's consulting nurse hotline and very good flushing and dressing took care if it, healing in the next several weeks without infection.

That one was clearly (to us, not necessarily to animal control) not the dog's fault. The friends also added a screen mesh to the gate to prevent other humans from sticking hands through for a sniff. They previously had a process to pull the dog in whenever visitors were arriving at their gated community, but we had evaded that process by tailgating another resident without calling from the entrance. That dog is very friendly to everyone entering through the home's garage door, but not the front gate.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I love my dog...but that would be grounds for termination.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Oh no! codeine aside, you need to be flooded with antibiotics.

Weeks of suffering I fear.

Bipeds, please use you hind legs for this and sweep under dog's 'center of support'.

RCO likes this.
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I love my dog@4. From a distance I am inclined to disagree.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dogs need to be trained not to fight for food. Probably need a little negative reinforcement to let the dogs know it's not acceptable.

But yeah that finger needs some major pain killers and antibiotics

KennyGS, RCO and WilDavis like this.
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    JC, your avatar suggests some dog cred. I suppose food is more basal than sex for dogs. All depends on them knowing and accepting their status in hierarchy. Have you ever compelled that Pit Bull to walk away from food?

RCO likes this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On bigger dogs, I normally need training collars or electronic shock collars to modify an unwanted behavior.

I have 2 and they have about a 90lb difference in weight. The little dog is the alpha and the larger dog never try to take food from the little dog.

So my mix pit does walk away

WilDavis likes this.
  10. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah, a well-trained Pittie! (…and as for the OP: I can think of only two words! BLOODY OUCH! (…hope your immune system is in good shape, and that you heal up quickly!)

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Such severe strategies@9 are outside my experience.

This discussion is about Bob's finger, yet I wonder if we might agree that no breed is inherently dangerous. That any individual might be, depending on first few months when they develop their own understanding about how things ought to go.

Pit bulls are sub rosa in some places. I knew a delightful one in previous residence.

RCO likes this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If my little chihuahua mix can grow to 100lbs, he would be dangerous. He's one of the most aggressive (towards strangers) dogs I've owned.

But food is the driving force with animals, very unpredictable sometimes.

Back to Bob's finger, I originally thought the pictures were of his bloody chicken.....just a little too red for chicken

tochatihu likes this.
  13. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are few bad dogs, but there are many bad dog-owners! ;)

frodoz737, fuzzy1, Mark57 and 3 others like this.
  14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I can only 'like' @13 once. What do people want 'their' dogs to be? Do they know enough about dog-brain to achieve it? Do they realize how much happens during first 4 months of dog life? Maybe takes 10 times longer for that assembly to happen in human brains. Flip side of dog years.

Dogs, later, can learn a lot of things, but if it conflicts with their early knowledge, one may need to push hard. I already disqualified myself concerning 'magical pain' @9. My only experience is in terms of positive reinforcements. Dog whisperer Cesar Milan seems to base everything on establishing human as alpha. But that is TV and perhaps selective in terms of successes and failures shown.

But, you have a dog, (s)he is filling desired role, or not. If not, what are your options>?

WilDavis likes this.
  15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Positive reinforcement might work with puppies. But full grown big dogs with ingrained behaviors tend to respond much faster to negative reinforcement.

Magical pain works wonders and if correctly applied, needs only a few "reminders" for the unwanted behavior to magically go away. Positive reinforcement from my limited experience takes much longer.

Teaching a dog new tricks however is done only using positive reinforcement, nothing magical here.

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    We have not before had a discussion of how to make dogs fulfill desired roles. Could it happen here?

#16 tochatihu, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We've been through the protocol before. Within a couple of business days, animal control will require confinement. Since this is one of my wife's comfort dogs, we should be able to get home confinement.

I'll start the antibiotics in the morning in case of an allergy reaction. At no time was the pain level more than 1.5 on a 1 to 10 scale where 10 is the worst and 2 was an Aerosmith concert with a date from hell. The dang local hurt more until it took effect. I warned them about my needle phobia.

When my vision became spotty, I asked for something to raise my legs. I was sitting on an examination chair, they finally got a clue. They provided a visitor's portable chair to raise my feet and put me on monitors. Thirty minutes later, I was back to normal and they soon discharged me. I walked out, drove to pharmacy, and then home.

I left the pain prescription unfilled at the pharmacy. Having once dislocated an ankle jumping out of a perfectly fine airplane, by concentrating on other things, it was a dull ache. Then they gave me morphine and I lost my ability to focus on subjects of my choice, Randomly I would flitter about 'cute nurse', 'certificates', 'posters about internal medicine', and 'OWCH'. I was better off without it. They knocked me out, reset the joint, cast, and now I can predict weather changes.

I'm OK, my wife's dogs are OK, and my wife is fine. It is my dominant hand so I'm relearning how to do things with my left.

Bob Wilson

#17 bwilson4web, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  18. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My two Yellow Labs are very polite - Each has a separate dish for water & food. They each eat out of their own food dish with no fighting, but they insist on drinking out of the same water bowl and refuse to touch the other one...weird...

RCO likes this.
  19. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OUCH!

Sorry about the hand.
    I'm more of a cat person myself. It's a defect in my personality and one of the many things I will have to give an accounting for when I go topside later....BUT we do have a dog and she will get a little feisty if somebody interferes with her chow.

@ Terminate.
    I disagree also from a distance, but the remark was probably meant to be snarky.

@ Animal Control.
    Ahhhh the benefits of gentile society!
    In my neck of the woods questions would have been asked, but with Bob's answers the protocol would have been a little different.
    There would have been more head shakes and "tisk-tisking" with a reminder to observe the pooches for abnormal activity.

I hope the digits heal well.

RCO and WilDavis like this.
  20. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree, and would recommend, not just to dog lovers, but anyone who wants to learn about the canine mind, the following book by Andre Alexis:

It's not just insightful, but is also a good read!
    …and while we're on the subject, here's another -
    Amazon.com: Alexandra Horowitz: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

RCO likes this.