1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[warning] two dogs and one piece of chicken

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Dec 14, 2017.

1. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Despite your eloquent and sidesplitting humour Bob, you have sincere sympathy and wishes for a swift and complete recovery.

2. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    One of my training habits with all of my dogs from day 1 is to place, then remove their food bowl while they're eating. They need to understand (without confusion) that I am in control. Not one of my dogs would have ever bit me for any reason - especially food.

Having stated all of that, I hope you get through this without any issues and feel better soon.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did the dog bite Bob or just Bob accidentally got his hand in the way of the dogs snapping at each other? When I see 2 dogs fight, they are normally only focused on each other (see this at dog parks), not the person breaking up the fight.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was thinking the dog was trying to grab the food, got Bob's hand inadvertently, heat-of-moment.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No snark was intended or implied.

UP Close...With children in the house, this kind of biting/aggression is not allowed or tolerated with a family dog. Every dog we've had got one chance to learn not to bite as indicated...using "negative reinforcement"...or they were gone. Never lost one yet.

6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Liposomal vitamin C at a high enough dose really eases injury pain.

I've used liposomal vitamin C several times when I had dental work. A tablespoon (3 grams) of C before visiting the oral surgeon, another tablespoon when I got back home, and another every 2+ hours for the first day. Thereafter as needed. I used the C instead of the narcotic pain medicine that the surgeon sent me home with. The resulting pain was nil up to a dull ache, which told me it was time to take some more.

Dr. Robert Cathcart used ordinary vitamin C like you'd buy at any grocery store. On one occasion, he took 65 grams in the 4 hours between suffering a 4 stitch wound and getting it sewn up. I would never have the nerve to take that much at once, but Dr. Cathcart was well calibrated in how much C it takes to neutralize an injury.

The advantage of the liposomal C available today is that it is more potent than the same quantity of ordinary pills/powder, and you don't have to be particularly accurate with the dosage. The only dosage limit is your wallet at about a dollar per gram.

The liposomal products I use are the liquid form from Nutrient Tree, and the one gram packets from LivOn Laboratories. I've heard bad things about the capsule form, and have no experience with any other vendors. They are available online, and perhaps a few medical offices or small health food stores. Note that I'm a buyer, not a seller. Sellers can't tell you about the medical effects without running afoul of FDA proof rules.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This was it. I was able to toss the chicken breast without a problem.

One problem is the terrier's rabies tag expired on 12/13/17 and the fight was 12/14/17. I spoke with animal control and I suspect Peaches will spend her 10 days in isolation until 12/26/17. We'll work it out on Monday.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What a crock! Peaches didn't have 100% protection against rabies on the 13th, and 0% the next day. If they enforce the letter of the law, it is to punish you for not keeping the tag absolutely up to date. A reasonable handling would be to have you keep the dog restricted to your property for the waiting period. And take antibiotics - you really don't want to know everywhere a dog's teeth have been. The vitamin C I spoke of for pain control also helps with infection.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this confinement for rabies control, or for some dangerous dog law? And if the later, what is the legal system to even notify them (apart from your own report to some government agency) that a specific dog did something wrong?

All my dog experience was growing up in an area without any separate animal control, only ordinary police, so I am not familiar with how such processes work. Some counties may have had separate laws, but mine did not. Under that state's law (not my current state), the dog is protected from the dangerous dog law penalties when: "The person was intervening between two (2) or more animals engaged in aggressive behavior or fighting."

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm OK with this. We have enough wildlife in town and though I doubt there is a problem with the terrier, we don't need an "Old Yellow" scene.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A relative is a university degree qualified animal behaviourist and also a dog trainer. From what I hear, too many pet dog owners allow their pooches to become equal status, if not the family Alfa. This is fine 98% of the time, but the last 2% is where the problems can present themselves. This is no criticism of Bob or anyone else btw. I certainly got to love and trust my canine buddy and understand the bond between dog and keeper only too well!

#26 I'm all for mainstream physicians prescribing myself. However well intentioned advice on here may be, a forum is not the vehicle for proper self medication IMHO.

Mark57 and WilDavis like this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The incidence of dog bites in areas where "dangerous" breeds are banned do not go down. Large dogs are just more likely to inflict a a more serious wound.

The one water dish is obviously poison.

RCO likes this.
  13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One way to make sure dogs don't feel like alpha dogs to humans, make sure they are fed after the humans eat. They can sit and watch before they get their turn. This is actually pretty important. They cannot feel equal

Mark57, tochatihu, RCO and 2 others like this.
  14. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you read carefully what I said, I never prescribed anything. I reported on my experience with a supplement that is available without a prescription. Supplements can be prescribed by a physician, and they can also be used by anyone even without a physician's direction.

The operational definition of a drug in the US is that it is a substance for which a medical claim is made. An extreme example of the stupidity of this definition is cherries. There is some university research that identified cherries as having the same magnitude of pain relief action as aspirin. When a cherry marketing organization tried to reference that research, the FDA declared that the claim of pain relief made cherries a drug. Drugs have to be subjected to extensive research that is evaluated by the FDA. So skip the claim and cherries are no longer a drug. It's not the substance or its characteristics, it's the claim that makes a substance into a drug.

Which comes back to vitamin C. Nobody selling vitamin C makes any medical claims. It is classified as a supplement. But there are medical effects that are described by people who are not selling it. I learned about the pain relief aspect of vitamin C from an MD who used it extensively in his practice. Dr. Cathcart told the story of how Linus Pauling lead him to experiment with it. Cathcart had no idea how much to take, so he tried a teaspoon full and his allergies went away for about 4 hours. So he took another teaspoon full. Later he caught a cold, and the same teaspoon full helped with the cold, but the allergies came back after only 2 hours. Eventually he learned how much C was required to mitigate allergies and sickness. In fact he rated sickness in units of how much C per day was required for symptom relief. Nobody goes to their doctor for a 20 gram cold. A 50 gram cold is bad enough that some people do go to their doctor. Most everybody seeks professional treatment
    with an 80 or higher gram cold. Dr. Cathcart taught his patients how to recognize the appropriate dose of C for their conditions. One of those conditions was pain, and it takes a lot of C to have any impact on pain.

The medical profession in general is hostile to vitamin C. I think it goes back to Linus Pauling, who was an outsider to medicine, and, worse yet, a communist sympathizer. Pauling believed that atmospheric testing of atomic bombs was bad for everyone. He thought it was so bad that we had to talk with the Russians about stopping it. Talking to the Russians about limiting our military development was not very popular. Times have changed, Pauling was right, and the issue of atmospheric bomb testing has been resolved. But vitamin C is still back there with the hostility directed at Pauling. Quite what the biochemistry of vitamin C has to do with the cold war escapes me. But much of the medical profession is still fighting a cold war against it.

15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, OK, but you don't know the personal medical history of everyone likely to read your suggestion or the effect that could have on an individual. Simply because the mainstream is against some practice doesn't make it wrong, but it doesn't make it right either.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A technical post, this is how I am dressing the injury:
    [​IMG]
    • as the initial swelling decreases, normal finger taper returns
    • paper sticky tape keeps the multilayer bandage from slipping off
    • use hydrogen peroxide on other stains, not the healing wound, to inhibit bacterial growth
    So these are the supplies, not showing the sanitary skin wash:
    [​IMG]
    • non-adherent dressing - two sided, perforated plastic film over thin gauze pad is first layer over the injury. This keeps the surface dry reducing the risk of bacterial growth.
    • paper towel strip - cut a strip that provides 2-3 layer wrap. Folding does not work because the crease resists wrapping. This wicks out any liquids from the first pad to keep the wound dry. It also isolates the outer wrap from blood or other liquids.
    • Coban(tm) sticky wrap - a self sticking wrap, 3-4 layers lightly compresses the absorbing layers against the wound to help wick out any liquids. You do not want to inhibit blood flow that is healing the injury. It is more mechanical than absorbing of liquids.
    • paper sticky tape - crossed around the dressing and anchored on the back of the hand, this prevents the dressing from slipping off or rotating. As the wound heals, the swelling goes down so the dressing can slip off. When changing the dressing, unwrap the layers to avoid chaffing the wound.
    Bob Wilson

Mendel Leisk, WilDavis and RCO like this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that the hair of the dog that bit you I see on the plaster in photo #1???

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The bump is a flap of skin. I was in a non-reclining chair in a ward treatment area while they were getting ready to clean it up. Separated by privacy curtains with oxygen and monitoring fixtures for each chair, there were no ready supplies that might go 'walkies.'

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A week ago, the last scab dried up and came off:
    [​IMG]
    • water tight - I don't have to wear water proof gloves to wash the dishes
    • tendons still tight - that is about as much as it bends so I warn folks when I'm shaking hands
    • turns blue in cold weather - still poor circulation
    • everything to left of wound feels somewhat numbed like Novocain
    • that red bump at the base of finger in hand was a puncture wound that healed in a couple of weeks
    Lesson learned: cut up the fried chicken into bite-sized pieces. This all but eliminates the "one piece" the dogs can fight over and makes it easier for my wife.

Bob Wilson

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Lookin' good. (y)