1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

In the past I have always purchased the "Platinum ExtraCare warranty" from my dealer and am wondering if I should do so for my Seaside Pearl #9.
    I know the cost of such protection varies from dealer to dealer but I have not yet had an opportunity to talk to my dealer about it.

Has anyone purchased the "Prepaid Maintenance" package yet?

Has anyone purchased the "Platinum ExtraCare" yet?

If so, what is the term expiration and the cost?
    :party: :idea: :idea: :mrgreen:

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Re warranties, there's an excellent summary at:

http://www.vfaq.com/Prius/docs/ExtendedWarranty.html

The lowest price reported (there) for the 7/100/0 is $980. According to Toyota, coverage begins on the date the vehicle was first delivered into service as a new vehicle and expires upon reaching the time or mileage of the coverage period, whichever occurs first.

3. SpartanPrius

SpartanPrius New Member

My Prius is on order, but quite frankly, it would be the last car I would consider purchasing an extended warranty for. These "deals" are problematic at best, and usually end up not a bargain.

The Prius has a reportedly grand build quality since Toyota is seeking not to end up with negative PR (too much Hybrid future at stake).

Why would you want to pay about a $1K extra when you already have: 1.) a 5 year/60K mile powertrain warranty; 2.) an 8 year/100K mile Hybrid System warranty; and, 3.) a Fed/State emissions warranty that runs 7+ years. Not to mention, the 3 year Roadside Assistance. Extended warranties only come into play after other applicable warranties have been exhausted.

Also, not sure who you'll end up with, but independent extended warranty companies have recently developed a habit of growing stingy and/or bankrupt.

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I see your points, Spartan, but this is my personal experience:

While I hail Toyota's quality and longetivity, the fact of the matter is that I regret not buying an extended warranty for my MR2 Spyder. Why?

Well, one reason is because when I bought it it had 43k miles on it - out of the bumper-to-bumper coverage period. At about the 55k mark my power steering pump died on me. Now, the MR2 has a hydrolic ps pump, not too common, and a very expensive piece. With installation, my local dealership wanted over $880. That alone would have paid for the cost of an extended warranty from somewhere like www.warrantydirect.com or another very reputable source.

I was lucky, I scoured the internet and found a junkyard in California that sells parts on eBay. I emailed them, got a price quote for a used PS pump - $105 shipped. The cost for a new one at dealer cost would have been $435. It took 3 days to get here and about 15 minutes to install. I got very lucky.

With a warranty, however, I would've been able to have not worried about it, gotten a lender car, and been on my way. It also would have come in very handy for the few times the "Check Engine Light" has come on in my car because of pressure in the gas line from the gas cap, etc.

This is a brand new car, a new body, and a very young hybrid system.

I have found piece of mind to be a priceless thing, so for $1000, 1/25th of the cost of the car, I would personally go for the extended warranty.

I don't even know if I would go for the Toyota Extended Warranty. A warranty from a 3rd party is much more flexible and I would think that it would be easier for Toyota to exclude things on their warranties since they know their cars so well and know what costs them the most or is most likely to fail due to no manufacturer fault.

I can post more information on 3rd party Warranty companies if anyone is interested - I did a ton of research on them before deciding against one and hating that decision ever since.

5. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

I was referring to the extended warranty sold by Toyota. I have had it in the past for all of my cars and it's very good. No worries about an insurance company going bankrupt.

6. SpartanPrius

SpartanPrius New Member

And, I see your perspective as well. If I was buying a mid level sports car (whether a Toyota, or not) with 40K on the clock, I would also strongly consider extended coverage. You can never be confident in your understanding of just how a car was treated.

My point about the Prius's build quality reaches beyond the fact it is a Toyota product (which do have problems from time to time...). Toyota is heavily geared to be a leader in this hybrid technology. They have staked a fortune in research into this car and its predecessor. They have also developed grand marketing plans for Hybrid systems throughout their lineup. And, most of all, they want to stay ahead of Honda (did you catch today's 2005 V6 Accord Hybrid announcement?).

IMHO, Toyota is not making much on this model. Rather, they are staking a large part of their corporate future on it (not the car, the lead in product). If there is something chronically wrong with the design or execution, they are apt to come clean resolving it. Both the public and the MEDIA will jump on any reason to discredit hybrid technology. Heck, we've got a "Freedom Car" in the works!

That pretty much sums up why I wouldn't purchase an extended warranty on it. Besides, I left out all the "tenuous payoffs at best" discussions that you'll find at consumer groups. Sure, some cars ARE worthy of it. BTA, why would you want to be buying poorly built cars in the first place? As for used cars, as I stated above, it's a whole nuther ball game.

Good luck with your choice and let us know how you make out. If you do it, reconsider the Toyota plan since they should be considerably more accomodating to a Toyota Dealer's service request. From what I've heard, independent warranty companies can leave dealership service managers hanging days (or weeks) regarding straight forward repairs that will get you back on the road.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your reasoning is very sound. The decision to buy or not to buy the extended warranty is a gamble. Ultimately a gamble that WILL profit Toyota. Now you, as an individual, might do better by not buying if you never have a problem develop that costs you less than the price of the warranty. But you could lose by not buying if you do develop such a problem and end up shelling out 2-grand to fix it. Likewise, if you do buy it, you may never use it and be out $1000. Toyota knows that most people won't cost them as much as they'll make, on average.

I, personally, for the first time in 6 new car purchases decided to buy the extended warranty. I just felt that for a first year vehicle that is so complex that it gave me a little bit of comfort. It probably would have been smarter, ultimately, to wait for the 3 year mark and decide if I would buy. If my particular sample had been problem prone then I probably would have opted to buy. If it had been problem free for three years I would probably have saved my $1000 and bought a new camera lens!

It's a good deal if you use it, a lousy deal if you don't, and a decent gamble either way.
    --evan

9. SpartanPrius

SpartanPrius New Member

I agree with your three year strategy, and will keep it in mind. I hope the initial warranty expense works out for you. Or, is that only wishing you reliabilty nightmares?

8)

10. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

The reason I like the Toyota extended warranty is because I had a van with A/W drive (very few were made like that) and on a trip, it got locked up in 4 wheel drive. That's quite an experience. When I got home from trip, took to Toyota and they had to replace the entire 4 wheel drive system. BIG BUCKS! No cost to me. Their extended warranty really paid off. :guns:

11. halfbreed

halfbreed Junior Member

I didn't go for the extended warranty yet, but I asked for the actual contract so I could take my time, read the fine print and decide later.
    I went for the prepaid maintenance, though.
    I figured that I don't want to trust "jiffy lube" with my advanced hybrid synergy drive, I plan on doing maintenance at the dealer for the forseeable future.
    It cost $1095 for up to 55,000 miles at 5000mile intervals. The way they added up their normal charges for maintenance, it was more than that.
    Or have I been had?

12. cybele

cybele New Member

Does it include a loaner car for those larger service intervals where they have to keep it for a day or two?

If so, then I'd probably call it worth it.

My problem at the moment is finding a dealer nearby. There are plenty to chose from, but none that I've heard raves about. For my first service I'm heading down to Carson where I bought it (but that's 25 miles away, and in LA that's a long time in the car).

13. tag

tag Senior Member

14. tag

tag Senior Member

Having just looked at the Prius Maintenance Schedule (available in the Library here), I'm now fairly confused. It seems as if, other than routine inspections, "scheduled maintenance" consists primarily of changing the oil and oil filter and rotating the tires every 5k miles. The only thing that I can see even the most remote bit "major" is replacing the cabin and and engine air filters at 30k miles.

15. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not for Jack Bauer!! :lol: :guns:

16. bookrats

bookrats New Member

HA!! :lol: :lol:

Of course, Jack doesn't worry about extended warranties. He figures between nuclear and biological disasters, any car he has will outlive him.

17. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I looked at the same document, too; basically, just a lot of inspections at 15K, 30K and 45K. In fact, until you get up to 120K, there isn't anything much beyond that (and at 120K, they change the spark plugs.)

The way to judge this, though, is:
    • If Yes to question 1, how much would it cost for 8 5K checkups and 3 15K checkups if you paid for them "at retail" at your Toyota dealer?

• If it's a significant savings (and there are no hidden costs), I'm interested in purchasing it.

Anyone got average figures for how much these maintenance trips run?

18. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Software.

Firmware.

LCD screen.

3 CPU's.

Bunch of other high tech innovations.

These were the primary reasons I boght the Platinum Package.

Sort of like, "...in the unlikely event of a water landing...".

I had a friend with a Nissan Z-car. digital dashboard went south. $ 3,600 dollars to R&R.

Nissan paid, because he had The Plan.

Bob

19. Gen2

Gen2 Member

I would greatly appreciate it if you would post more warranty info. There seems to be a lack of clarity as to which plans cover what types pf repairs and hence which is the best value.

Thank You

20. fred

fred New Member

i did get the extra warranty from toyota since i put my payments out to 5 years (i know, iknow) . the extra warranty was sold to me for about 350 dollars. which according to the dealer was wholesale. good enough for me. i no longer drive vehicles that are not under warranty. all the good folks who like working on cars can do so and im sure save money. but i am not a "wrench" and have no abilities in that area.
    fred from nashville. still enjoying the heck out of smiley