1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warranty and “checks”

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pakitt, Oct 17, 2023.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have carried out at the dealer the four free checks on my 2021 Prime. Two require oil and filter change, while the other two, in between, are “checks”.
    I have only 21k miles and 70% of those are in some form of EV mode (either in EV mode or in HV). Essentially the ICE is hardly used.
    Now, according to the service plan, I am supposed to do another “check” service after 6 months from the last “big one” at the two year mark. Essentially I have to go to waste money for them to check levels.
    If I skip this “check” and instead take the car in for the 3-year “big” service, due early next year, is my warranty void?
    I check regularly by myself oil and coolant/brakes fluid levels, especially before longer trips.
    When I lived in Europe I had to bring in the car only once a year or after 7.5k miles. (Considering the smaller distances, that happened about once a year too.)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you don't have to follow the recommended maintenance schedule or go to a dealer for it.warranty is for factory defects

pakitt likes this.
  3. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thank you. This is quite different in Europe. AFAIK, during the warranty period in EU, if you miss a scheduled maintenance or an oil change, as required by the manufacturer, and the warranty is void.
    But at least the maintenance plan doesn’t require you to go every six months to give money to a $tealer for “checks”.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just do the routine maintenance, fluid and filter changes, either yourself, private mechanic, or dealer.

in a warranty claim, a dealer has to prove that something you did or didn't do caused the failure, to deny warranty coverage.
    dealers get paid by the manufacturer to do warranty work. while they would love to take your money for their overpriced services, it is in their best interest to allow the warranty coverage, as long as they can justify it to the manufacturer

pakitt likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The service plan that comes with a new Toyota should cover all the required checks at a dealer.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That would be a great money maker for the dealers.
    Come in for the free check, go home with an empty wallet :p