1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

warranty on PiP battery

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by mainerinexile, Jul 14, 2013.

1. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Based on the FSM for the ZVW35, they do. Replacement happens when block voltage falls below 16.1V, which corresponds to 6 cells out of the block at 2.7V (low voltage cut-off) and the 7th completely dead.

#41 roflwaffle, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  2. tiseo23

tiseo23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ok. I have 112K on my 2007 Prius which I purchased in NY used in 2011. Battery is operating fine, but i've moved down to North Carolina in 2011 and I'm worreid that these 100degree heat days will eventually end it's life. So from what you are saying, that since I originally purchased the Prius in NY that I am covered under CARB in NY up until 150K miles. Whom do I contact at Toyota to confirm this?

3. Greg_M

Greg_M Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    First, 100 degree days are certainly not the norm here.
    My 2004 Prius has 185k miles on it and I just recently replaced the battery with a used one. My Prius has always been parked in the sun and the battery lasted 184k miles. I don't think you have to worry about the heat here.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try customer care, and be prepared for a lot of obfuscation.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The first, and most important rule, is that you must live/register car in CARB state at time of repair. So since NC is non-CARB you revert to the 100000 mile 8-yr warranty of North Carolina. So that's the rule as we undertsand it. We did have one Ca. transplant to Pa. sue Toyota but I am not sure we know how that went. But if you read the 2006 warranty manual, it does not really clearly state Toyota's disqualification rules, so re: 2006 model the guy may have had a valid legal case...not sure if they beefed up rules in the manual in 2007. Before you go that far, see the thread on CARB warranty Goodwill by Toyota, you may be pleased with the Toyota offer, in the unlikely your batt dies before 150,000 miles. But see the thread, often times dealer is not authorized to give a good deal and you gotta call Toyota.

You can call Toyota to clarify, if you read my other thread on CARB Warranty Ins-and-Outs, the key point is Toyota prefers to handle this one-on-one with the customers, rather than publicizing details about various exceptions (if any exceptions exist). So therefore disregard everything I said above, which is just our understanding of how Toyota looks at the issue in most cases.

The 2k1Toaster argument you quoted was for a hypothetical case when the owner moved back to a CARB state. That's the famous In-Out-In case, which Toyota told me CARB still works as long as you move back to CARB state. But NC is not CARB so you are in non-CARB land like me.

#45 wjtracy, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  6. schiffy

schiffy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not to beat a dead horse, but now I'm curious (and confused and hoping someone can clarify)...what if I purchased my PiP in NY (just because I got a better price/service at a dealer about 2 hours away but registered it in NJ (where I live). It's a 2014 and I bought it new.

Does it have to be purchased AND registered in a CARB state or just one? Am I correct that NJ is CARB but NY is not?

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't worry be happy! NY is CARB too! You live in CARB Heaven.
    I would think a NY is covered in NJ by Toyota.

NJ is full CARB and I think NY is full CARB with a minor caveat. You have to ask Toyota because its their rules. Almost no other company has these rules, so it's a Toyota game, and they like to handle it case-by-case.

A much more interesting question would be a PA semi-CARB to NJ full CARB move.

#47 wjtracy, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  8. schiffy

schiffy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    CARB Heaven...love it! Thanks for the info. Another interesting question would be bought in NY, first registered in NJ, then move to PA (which we might do someday...NJ is so darned expensive!). But hopefully I will never need to find out!

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't get me started on NJ schiffy! Lived in South Jersey 25 years. PA before that. Born in NY. Well PA is regular CARB which means 8-yrs and 100k miles warranty on Batt I think.

I see where you are, we had family in New Providence but they fled here to Virginia. There is a big Toyota dealer up there I recall.

PS- Toyota might give you nice consideration if in PA, so don't let your battery warranty influence your moving decision!

#49 wjtracy, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  10. schiffy

schiffy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All of my husband's family has fled to VA as well.

Tell me more about the "nice consideration" in PA...what do you mean...that they'll replace a bad battery past 100K?

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the unlikely event that you experience a costly hybrid system repair, be sure to contact Toyota ask for out of warranty assistance before the work gets started. Often the dealer does not mention this option.