1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Was approached at the gas station today by GM Suburban driver...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by burritos, Jun 1, 2008.

1. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

a 50k porche cayman or bmw m3 or a z06 are just as good cars with exceptional performance for a quarter of the price. Those driving a "ferrari" a "lambo" a "hummer" seem to drive those cars only for their status and hardly ever use the full potential of the vehicles. It also seems the worst mpg and the worst the car is for the environment, the "cooler" it is.

2. Tardis Wannabe

Tardis Wannabe New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I actually worried about this when I was making my decision to order a Prius. It's just amazing to me that some people can generate such hostility over a car. Does this type of thing happen often? Not that I will change my mind - I am impatiently waiting for mine!

3. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If anything like this ever did happen to me I'm sure the originator would be left feeling like one of the dumbest creatures on the face of the earth.

"I see by your vehicle that you've not left the 90s yet"
    "Most monkeys that have just been trained to drive also drive the SUVs that humans are getting rid of, proven fact."
    "When you enter a room do you often hear phrases like '...dumb as dirt' and '...brains of a squid'?"
    "I'm of the firm opinion that some of my fellow citzens just are not cut out to walk on their hind legs. Tree swinging should be your primary mode of transport."

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Never, in person. And I have been driving Prius for 7.75 years now.

Frequently, online. Many still fear change and often jump to incorrect conclusions.

5. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

many fear the unknown, and change is unknown.

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "I can understand the bitterness that an ignorant, uneducated, unskilled fat c*nt like yourself must feel from your low-paying job being unable to keep up with rising fuel prices."

And of course the classic:

"Your presence here is depriving a village of their idiot."

7. hybridgrl

hybridgrl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hmmm, could she be a tad bit ANGRY by what her fill up was going to cost in comparison to your fill up? It's obvious she was plain JEALOUS but unfortunate she took her frustration out on you. A few more fill ups in her gas hog and she'll be waiting in line to buy a Prius. HA!:bounce:

8. xiola

xiola New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just today, I was filling up next to a Suburban. She was filling up when I pulled up, and still pumping away when my car was full. When the nozzle clicked off, she poked her head around the corner and said, "You've got to be kidding me." And rolled her eyes. I smiled, told her to have a good day, got in my car, and drove away.

I have also noticed that big cars really REALLY like to tailgate me. It makes me nervous. I have pulled off to the shoulder or changed lanes so they would pass me several times. Never had this kind of problem before.

9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would have shouted, "What are you talking about? Last month I had to spend THIRTY FIVE WHOLE DOLLARS on gas! That's ridiculous!"

10. theegg

theegg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have been approached several times at gas stations, stores & even at my son's school. I think it's cool. People just roll their eyes when I tell them about 50MPG. Best question I have gotten is "would you buy another one?" I give them a resounding yes. I love it!:love:

11. deadrock69

deadrock69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :DMy other car is a 2001 Ford EXCURSION 7.3 DIESEL that is lifted 6 inches.I also have all kinds of mods to make it as fast as a Corvette.I never have had a problem with ppl trying to tailgate me.And i would never do that to a smaller car,i would just plow right over them if i did not stop in time, so i think of that at all times when i drive.If you tailgate me this is what you get.:D
    IMG_1616.jpg
    DSC_5199.jpg

12. fthorn

fthorn From gas hog to greenie to gas hog

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The sky is blue, too. :)

13. Scummer

Scummer Eh?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just take your foot of the gas pedal and coast. Eventually you will be so slow they are going to pass :) Normally at around 10 below speed limit the tailgaters had it.

Thomas

14. fthorn

fthorn From gas hog to greenie to gas hog

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been doing the speed limit and as low as 5 mph under lately, just sitting on cruise, in the right lane. I find I get some people that stay behind me (not super-close) for a few minutes before passing. Even semis. I find it odd. But, no one really runs up my bumper.

I've always thought a streamer that trails behind a car, and extends further when going faster, would be nice to help others judge their "2 second" distance better. :)

15. hybridgrl

hybridgrl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've driven large cars and have been tailgated. It's just the way some people like to take their aggressions out nowadays. I was taught to drive defensively and that's what I do. Always try to be on the lookout for the unexpected. If I see someone's tailgating I move over and let them run with the pack in the left lane and stay back my distance as if the first or second car in the pack brakes or loses it they ALL go flying.;)

16. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. I can't tell if she was *looking* for a reaction, or just
    wanted to have the last word. Sounds like your response threw
    her a little off, though. Not sure what I would have done -- from
    the quiet reason of behind-the-keyboard I think of something
    like "I can't say much about the choices you make but at least
    I don't go around attacking people for theirs", but under pressure
    of a real-life encounter with adrenaline starting to kick in
    it might come out entirely different.
    We're a society of selfish brutes. The nicest people can get
    behind the wheel and turn into total animals.
    These days I'm investigating a few passive defenses... (read the
    first three pages or so)
    _H*

17. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is still a difference between them, but I do agree with you.

It is ridiculous how many people have cars they don't make use of. The new hummers aren't as big an example, but the original hummer is a great one - how many people ever took it off road, let alone on the type of terrain it was made for?

18. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have been asked many times what my actual gas mileage is. But I have never had someone curse at me at a gas station. but the gas attendents here in NJ get mad when I pull up because they know its only going to be a short fillup.
    people do tailgate me and I had a guy in a Lexus last week come flying up behind me and try to speed around me so I pissed him off when he got to the side of my prius and I sped up so he couldn't pass, then I slowed down when he was behind me and then I flicked him off when he finally passed. He then spent the next 5 minutes giving me the double bird with his fat grump wife in the car and kid in the back seat. What a role model that mustache wearing d-bag is. It's funny how people are all tuff on the highway but when they actually see me get out of the car then they are all apologies. I am not confrontational at all but I am big and I do take MMA classes so I know how to defend myself and I do scare people with my tattoos but all in all I am nice guy just people judge too quick. Oh and that lexus driver deserved the finger because he beeped at a the people behind me obnoxiously and I could see him screaming at them as well. It would be awesome if there was a way I could put a gun rack up in my car, haha Just kidding!

19. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've had the (unfortunate) pleasure of taking Illinois Defensive Driving a couple times in the past. According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, that is the recommended strategy for removing tailgaters.

BigDog, that is not. :)
    (not that I haven't done it)

20. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a Tahoe owner ask me to trade cars, then I had someone at the Pick Up Stix tell me i was driving like a "penis" (how proper) and BIGGDOGG, i have done that before and the best part is, i roll my window down just enough for them to see my eyes....never thought limo tint would come in handy, works in scaring people