1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Was considering on leasing this car.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by seeforyourself, Aug 16, 2017.

1. seeforyourself

seeforyourself Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hey guys, how are you all today?

So today I went to my dealer to test drive the new 2017 Prius Hybrid (non prime)

I went inside the 2017 Prius Three with the technology package and test drove it. I noticed that the rims were extremely appalling. They looked like steelie wheels with a cheap center logo in the middle that can pop off. I went on the website and they showed much nicer rims and not like knockoffs which they had me test drive.

Car was very nice. Very smooth and loved the heads up display. He took me inside and did a lease quote and this is where it went all down hill...

He told me that with 12k miles a year, exact same model with the wheels and $3,000 down will be $490 a month for 36 months. My jaw dropped.

My friend is leasing a Lexus IS for $420 a month/ 36 months with $2,500 down.

He was trying to tell me the car is $35k and is premium. (which says $28k before tax on the website and has normal rims).

What the hell is he thinking?! I was also interested in the 2018 Toyota Camry hybrid but he said it's not in stock and will be in the mid $500's a month.

This is the Toyota of Huntington in New York.

Where can I get a better price quote? I was thinking about trying Toyota of Manhattan to see if they are cheaper. This price quote seems outrageous. The total comes out to $21k with everything and the price of the car on the site with all the options says $28k....

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Current Toyota offer on 2017 Prius lease seems to be only on model Two. New Car Deals | Local Toyota Deals, Incentives & Special Offers
    But $209/mo 36 mo $3199 due at signing seems still too much. I think you are better off buying it with $1750 rebate on Prius model. Better yet, since you are in NY, you should consider PRIME with $3500 cash back and possible $4500 tax credit. Good luck.

3. seeforyourself

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I might consider the Prius two... the three was not worth more than DOUBLE the monthly payment.

iPhone ?

bisco likes this.
  4. seeforyourself

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I might consider the Prius two... the three was not worth more than DOUBLE the monthly payment.

iPhone ?

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like he was either clueless, or a ripoff artist. all you can do is shop more dealers. i prefer to do it through their website sales, saves a lot of time and aggravation.

RCO and Salamander_King like this.
  6. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've noticed the value of my new 2016 model purchased one year ago has dropped by more than ten thousand dollars. It is a IV with all the goodies. This is the reason leasing is not a good choice for the higher model Prius. It's also good motivation to drive it till it falls apart if you buy one.

RCO likes this.
  7. shadow4478

shadow4478 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the car kept its value better then many
    10k seems massive over 1 year...

RCO likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prius residual value is based on demand, which is based on gas prices, which are impossible to predict.
    if you buy now, there are some great deals. when you want to sell, depreciation will be in complete relationship to gas prices compared to when you bought.

jerrymildred and RCO like this.
  9. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I used Kelly Blue Book to see the value of the car with current mileage (6500 miles) and all the options. I doubt you could find one so configured. ;)

10. ih8spm

ih8spm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to get all the numbers broken down in writing. Most dealers won't and that is the clue your about to get hosed. I was going to get a 17 Corolla with all the standard tech options no money down for $179 in CT.

SM-G935P ?

RCO likes this.
  11. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would think the low price of the prime might be cutting the value of the 2016s a bit. Why pay close to $20K for used when you could get a new prime for a few thousand more after tax credits? Also the safety upgrades on the 2017 two are probably hurting 2016 resale values

RCO likes this.
  12. ih8spm

ih8spm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  13. seeforyourself

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    So I went to a different dealership and test drove the Prius Prime. I actually didn't like it at all! The steering in it was VERY weird. The steering was overly sensitive and was over dramatic at highway speeds and it was wandering like crazy and when I tried to correct it, it would sway the car like crazy. My friend who went on the test drive with me said that she was getting sick from it. I'm not sure if it was the car itself or there was something wrong with it. It had normal tire pressure too.

The prices were much better with them. I only got a quote with the prime base, which ended up being $270 per month with $3000 down ... I'm assuming it would obviously be lower with the non-prime.

I'm still going to test drive it again to see if the regular Prius has that odd steering as well.

iPhone ?

14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For me compared to Gen3 Prius, new Prius Prime has been a huge improvement in drivability arena, but that is all subjective. With all the incentive available in your region ($3500 rebate from Toyota, $4500 federal tax credit, also don't you get state incentive), you might be better off buying Prime than leasing it. If you didn't like Prime, and looking for a car with great fuel economy, 2018 Camry LE Hybrid with 52mpg may be worth considering. Good luck for your search of a new car.

RCO likes this.
  15. seeforyourself

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I know it's better off to buy it, but I am also a student and need to have a less of a payment. The Camry LE hybrid is $800 more a year to insure for some odd reason...

I am going to get an insurance agent to see if I can save money with another company...

iPhone ?

RCO likes this.
  16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, $800 more to insure Camry compared to Prime. That doesn't sound right. Have you checked Geico? You don't have to see anyone or talked to anyone. You can find out quote online very quickly. I switched to Geico when I purchased my previous Prius, and saved $thousands. Yes, more than $1,000 saving per year on our household auto insurance rate for three cars, and it was better coverage than before.

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  17. seeforyourself

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I do have Geico. I talked them on the phone and they told me it will be $400 more every 6 months.

iPhone ?

18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really! When I switched my previous 3 years old Gen3 Prius Two to a new Prius Prime, my insurance increased only $50 for 6 month. I was thinking of 2018 Camry Hybrid for my wife's next car, but I may have to re-think that idea if the insurance premium goes up that much. Maybe more demand on Camry parts at chop shop???

19. seeforyourself

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That's what I was assuming... Or maybe more people with Camry hybrids aren't as good drivers. If you do call to get a quote, let me know!

iPhone ?

20. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In UK, all drivers under 25 years old have to pay very high insurance premiums because they're statistically more prone to expensive claim accidents. Perhaps the same thing applies to you with the Camry because it's a more powerful car.

The steering in the Prius is electrically powered and lacks the feel you get with hydraulic PAS. I am assuming he that the Prime steering is the same. That said, you do get used to it remarkably quickly and will find it is very precise (as you discovered) and extremely accurate. I can't promise that you definitely will grow to like it, but strongly suspect you would after about 20 miles.

Good luck with your choice and let us know how you get on. (y)

Salamander_King likes this.
  21. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just checked at Geico site to get quote on what if I replaced one of my vehicle with 2018 Camry. The result turned out to be 2018 Camry was almost $90 cheaper to insure than 2017 Prime for 6 mo period. I didn't have VIN, so I used their pull down choice for the make of the car. There was no Camry Hybrid, so this is just for 2018 Camry, but I am sure they will honor the quote for 2018 Camry Hybrid. That is strange. There was another thread here just came up. Someone from PA was quoted $2000/year for a new PRIME. That's crazy.

#20 Salamander_King, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017