1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Was I dissed?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Schmika, Dec 7, 2006.

1. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I would guess (based on what you've written) that it was both a small dis and a prank, too.

It seems that this was their way of saying "You're a gasbag" AND also saying, "but, we'll miss you."

Some pranks are done with no meaning at all--just for fun. Like having your door "pennied" in college. Some are done to actually be fun and a little biting at the same time; usually those are only done on folks that can handle it, which means they like you, too.

Example: I work with two older gentleman. Both are extremely straightlaced and slightly old-fashioned--brylcreme and polyester pants, etc. They take lots of stuff very seriously, are very, very, very orderly, and can be very intense. One of them, though, enjoys the occasional laugh and will join in company events. The other only joins in because he feels forced to...he'd rather stay in his office.

For the first one's birthday, we filled up about 250 balloons and put them in his office so that the morning of his birthday, he had to wade his way through. It made a terrible mess, which makes him nuts, but he thought it was hilarious. So, the prank was both a commentary on his neatness AND just a prank.

We would NEVER consider doing that for the other guy. He would NOT have enjoyed it in the least. And we're not sadistic.

Congrats on your retirement!

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Uh-oh. A straight-laced "by the book" cop about to retire? You know they're going to pair you up with some loose cannon rookie. Hilarity will ensue. But then maybe you'll each learn from each other... and learn about yourselves. Roll credits.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jokes are usually funnier when someone in the group doesn't get it, but in this case maybe not. Tell you what, Karl. You can have some of my sense of humour, and I'll trade you for a little of your seriousness.

4. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Dec 8 2006, 07:52 PM) [snapback]359537[/snapback]</div>
    DEAL!!!!!!! I'll send shipping info.......

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 7 2006, 10:44 PM) [snapback]359127[/snapback]</div>
    Most men are afraid to show their true feelings (especially cops). We do not know how to show if we are sad or upset about something so we try to laugh it off or "be funny" to cover up the fact that we DO feel something. (Remember punching a girl in the arm to show you liked her?) In all likelihood they weren't trying to be rude. Gotta maintain the Macho image, y'know?

The sad reality is that they just didn't know what to say at all and rather than be real they fell back on adolescent attempts at humor. And you will be missed!

6. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Dec 9 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]359758[/snapback]</div>
    And then you had to up the ante to show you really loved her.....

I think they dissed you big-time, and you should follow the lead of our federal postal workers in wishing them all a fond farewell. We'll hear about it in the evening news. "Schmika Retires in a Blaze of Glory!" (Disturbing footage follows.....)

Just kidding.

You'll love retirement. I liked flying with my airline but I can't imagine where I'd find the time to do that now. The important thing is to find something you love to do and throw yourself into it. Too many guys don't have any life beyond work and retirement doesn't last long. I resurrected my hobby of astronomy and turned it into a part-time job for fun and money, teaching a couple nights a week at a local college.

That your officers took the time to pre-stage your little party means they knew you could take a joke. The "fry" is a way people use to change a sad time into a happy one, like an Irish wake. Laugh with them and enjoy.

(And do you think you could help me with this ticket I got in the few days you have left?)

Good luck!