1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Was Pat Tillman an Atheist?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Apr 29, 2007.

1. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flareak @ Apr 30 2007, 01:52 AM) [snapback]432425[/snapback]</div>
    Do you remember what it was like before you were born? That is what it is like after you die.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Apr 30 2007, 04:13 PM) [snapback]432836[/snapback]</div>
    That is an interesting concept. I do not wish to take anything away from anyone who has died for a cause but your idea is thought provoking. Thank you. :)

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Apr 30 2007, 09:32 AM) [snapback]432491[/snapback]</div>
    You stumbled upon the one of two or three here that have likely made a gov. list omewhere due to their extreme fanaticism regarding the current administration.

:ph34r:

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 30 2007, 08:43 PM) [snapback]432953[/snapback]</div>
    does that mean you're on Hillary's list for when she takes office?! :huh:

5. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 30 2007, 07:11 PM) [snapback]432863[/snapback]</div>
    Ain't dat da truth.

6. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Apr 30 2007, 09:21 AM) [snapback]432483[/snapback]</div>
    Call me crazy, but when I read the actual words of Lt. Col. Ralph Kauzlarich, rather than the slanted commentarty of the blogger, I don't see any insults to Tillman's family or for that matter criticism or disparaging remarks about Tillman and his family not being Christian.

What I hear in the words is a man trying to emphasize with Tillman's family. In the only quote where he actually says anything substantial,
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Blog")</div>
    he is basically saying (my paraphrasing)"It must be really tough to be an atheist and loose a family member. With Christianity, you at least have the belief of a better life after death. With atheism, there is nothing after death; no sense of purpose".(my paraphrasing)

In Lt. Col. Ralph Kauzlarich own words, "that is pretty hard to get your head around that. [...] I can only imagine that that would be pretty tough."

The only quote from Lt. Col. Ralph Kauzlarich that comes even close is:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Blog")</div>
    But you really have no idea what the context of that quote really is. The "Asked by ESPN.com whether the Tillmans' religious beliefs are a factor in the ongoing investigation" is not specific enough for you to know exactly what question Kauzlarich was responding to. Especially considering that his response says nothing about religion and instead talks about trust in the "system" (that would be the military).

Oh, and by the way... I'm an atheist. But I'm an atheist that believes in freedom of religion. I'm not one of the "I don't think I should be forced to practice religion so I'm going to force everyone else to stop practicing religion" type of atheist.

7. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oh please. Just uttering a reference to his religious beliefs in the context of what happened is monstruously innapropriate.

8. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ May 1 2007, 09:04 AM) [snapback]433154[/snapback]</div>
    So as I suspected, you are one of those "I don't think I should be forced to practice religion so I'm going to force everyone else to stop practicing religion" type of atheists.

I saw no condemnation, criticism, malice, or anything of the kind in Kauzlarich's words. I only saw such things in the blogger's commentary. I see lots of exageration and spin instead. I see a statment of empathy being spun as hate speech.

9. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ May 1 2007, 08:21 AM) [snapback]433159[/snapback]</div>
    As much as I think the world would be better if everyone stopped practicing religion I wouldn't dream of forcing anyone to believe anything. I would have a problem if religion influences legal or political procedures; which at some level it seems it did in the officer's mind.

10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ May 1 2007, 07:55 AM) [snapback]433150[/snapback]</div>
    Are you implying that because of the belief in Heaven, Christians are more comforted about the deaths of their loved ones compared to those who don't believe in heaven? If this is true, is this a good reason to believe in heaven?

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's sort of the egocentric thing that you see. "You'll start beliving in God when you get older and closer to death." "God will help you find the peace you need after XXXX dies since you'll know they are in His loving arms in Heaven."

They (many anyway) can't grasp the idea that my lack of fear of death will be no greater when I'm about to die than it is today. I'm comfortable with the idea that my life on earth is limited and that there is no afterlife, no heaven, etc for myself or my family. I don't need a place to find peace...because that peace is within me.

12. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/26/ap3958728.html

Wow! Pat is a stud. Period.

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The winds of Grace are blowing, but it is up to us to raise the sails.