1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Was there a TSB on '04-'05 Traction Control?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by F8L, Jan 12, 2010.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never had the update applied and I'm getting annoyed with the power cut on my '05 when the tires start to slip. I called and talked to a Toyota Service Manager and he cannot find anything on this "update". Can anyone help point me in the right direction so I can get this done?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no such TSB.

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank's Patrick. Was it just a flash update you had to ask about or?

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not aware of a firmware update that addresses the traction control issue.

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Weird, then what update were people talking about for these cars? I was under the impression that there was some sort of flash update that made the traction control system less aggressive such that when you get a tiny bit of wheelspin the engine just cuts out or you can't move at all. I swear I've read posts where people claim to have had this problem reduced by a reflash. :confused:

6. kkayser

kkayser Junior Member

I had the update on my '04 and it improved the "traction control" significantly. I think it now allows a little slip and then cuts the engine gradually. Before, the slightest slip and the car lurched to a complete stop. Even with the update, this is still poor traction control. Rather than actually improving traction it just cuts power. True traction control grabs the spinning wheel and transfers drive to the other wheel, really improving traction. The engine power is reduced only when both wheels spin.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye, I had traction control on the Corvette, Camaro, and Trans Am and it worked like you described but thankfully I could turn it off. :)

On the Prius I thought there was something they could do to reduce the severity of the power cut is all. Do you know what the update was called or how they referred to it?

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can you please find the repair invoice for this update, and post the comments provided on the invoice? Thanks!

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be awesome. You could also call the dealer where the work was done and they could reprint the service file for you.