1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wash/Dry/Claybar/Pre-Wax/Sealant&Glaze/Wax = One Shiny Car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Aug 3, 2007.

1. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well my however did you get a good shine without Zaino! LOL. It looks great!

LOL, I love Zaino hype. Zaino will not "beat that". Zaino is a good product, but I and plenty other people don't like the way it looks on most colors of car. It looks pretty good on Tideland, and silvers but on anything dark Zaino makes the paint looks plasticky and lifeless IMHO.

With proper prep any last step product will look great. The only think Zaino is specifically better at than most products is longevity.

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well here it is last night at the local show and shine, amongst the "barbarians" (as posted in another thread).
    Zaino'd, and "grande finale" applied.
    [attachmentid=10748]

Attached Files:

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol.. thanks. I just washed the car yesterday. It's still smooth. It seems to be holding up well.

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Aug 18 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]498432[/snapback]</div>
    I think the backlash against Zaino has at least as much to do with the annoying and uninformed fanboy praise as it does with the product's shortcomings, of which there are few IMHO. As you state, it looks fine on light colors where the lack of depth and liquidity is not apparent, but it really shows poorly on dark colors and red. Although I've been happy with the longevity of Zaino on my SUV, I'm not happy at all with the appearance. Other, less long-lived sealants darken the dark gray metallic paint, and give it a depth and richness that Zaino sorely lacks. Blackfire (created by the same guy as who created the Pinnacle line, Terry Freiberg) has come out with a new carnauba wax that is claimed to work well over all sealants. It's a little pricey, like Pinnacle Souveran (~$70 per 8oz can) but it would be nice to get a deep, rich gloss with Zaino underneath it to back it up when you don't feel like putting in the effort for the best appearance (like during the winter).

Actually, I don't know any product that comes close to the longevity of Z-2 and Z-5 Pro. I put three coats on my SUV before last winter and it's still beading water over nine months later (granted, the SUV is garaged all the time and only got driven a couple thousand miles last year). If the new Z-CS clear seal lives up to its claims (I have some and have used it, but it hasn't been on the car long enough for me to form an opinion about its claims) it potentially saves a lot of time for those who find Zaino's appearance good enough. The combination of Z-AIO and Z-CS means they can keep their car looking decent with less than an hour of work per year.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Aug 18 2007, 08:27 PM) [snapback]498537[/snapback]</div>
    That Pinnacle Souveran one is ridiculous too! There was a person who used that on his black GS over at ClubLexus and you could've sworn he painted his car black chrome or something. It really is that reflective!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Aug 18 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]498439[/snapback]</div>
    ooh very nice! (Sorry I didn't see the first time.. I just realised you posted almost the same time I did!).

Perhaps you need a picture under the sun? It seems cloudy but I can see blue sky on the roof...

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 19 2007, 10:11 AM) [snapback]498680[/snapback]</div>
    I guess you've never priced Zymol. Zymol Destiny Estate Glaze is nearly $500/can, and their Vintage Glaze is nearly $2000/can (free refills for life with Vintage Glaze though). They also have several $200/can waxes.

7. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Aug 18 2007, 11:27 PM) [snapback]498537[/snapback]</div>
    Oh absolutely, its the attitude of the followers that creates it. I don't dislike it, its just not one of my favorites.

I've never found one either.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Aug 19 2007, 11:04 AM) [snapback]498698[/snapback]</div>
    nope lol... I do know that expensive wax that is an enzyme and isn't a wax til you rub it with your hands.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 3 2007, 08:43 AM) [snapback]489942[/snapback]</div>
    I think it could if the paint itself is in good enough condition. I've rarely pulled out a better shine with a product that was so easy to use. There are indeed better products but Zaino is just plain easy to apply and remove. :) Part of the problem is that the real deep shine usually doesn't protect or last as long without yellowing. Least that is how it used to be. Are the newer products better? Your car looks great btw. ;)

Zaino on my C5. Pic taken with a 2MP camera. bleh
    [​IMG]

Zaino on my Prius. Pic taken with a 6.0MP camera.
    [​IMG]

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember those pics!

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 19 2007, 06:41 PM) [snapback]498908[/snapback]</div>
    I was just glad you didn't see me on my last trip to Canada. I used some garbage polish on the Prius during it's last detailing and it already wore off and the car looks terrible. lol

12. hefaust

hefaust New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I too, am a total Zaino fanatic! I've used Zaino products for six years and on a multitude of vehicles. Each one has been stunning in appearance and durability. I can read mailbox numbers in the finish that are a block away. Rain and snow are nothing, as they roll off the finish, leaving it shiny and dry. When I do encounter snowy and salty roads, it's an easy wash, as the dirt just "falls" off, once again leaving the best shine that I've ever seen. I've used every wax/polish/protectant and none has come close to what Zaino does as far as shine and durability.

If you've never used it before, follow the steps in their website Zaino Store and take your time. Once you're finished, you'll stand back in awe. I washed my '08 Barcelona Red today after torturing it for a week with heavy road salt, slush, ice, snow, and mud. It looks as if it came from the showroom. No, make that "it looks better!"

Being that I work for a Toyota dealership, I insisted that our cleanup crew not touch my car when I bought it. I took it home and immediately did the Zaino dance.

Currently, I have 2 coats of Z2 (w/ZFX) and one coat of Z5 (w/ZFX). Of course, I use Z6 in between washes and have spritzed it up with Z8. I did try the new ZCS and don't care for it at all - the only Zaino product that I would not recommend. Once the weather gets nice, I'll post pictures.

Erick Faust
    '08 Barcelona Red #2 - 3820 miles
    Nokian WR tires, exact mats, Scion Tc self-dimming rear view mirror w/ homelink, EV circuit, EBH, foamed grille, 0W-20 Toyota brand full synthetic oil, rear applique. 50.7mpg avg to date.

13. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You've used every wax/polish/protectant? Really? every one?