1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wash My New Prius Myself Or Go To A Car Wash?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Grocked, May 27, 2008.

1. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I mean getting a paint sealant for the car, then periodically going through an automated touchless carwash.

How long do paint sealants last?

2. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

Several months for the good ones...Ultima, Zaino.

3. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The 12oz bottle is enough product to do two cars for 2-3 years. They have a sampler kit that will last you a year. Everything Ultima has a money back guaranty and they have excellent customer sevice.

4. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You mean I'm not supposed to wash, apply paint sealer, and then wax every Sunday? :p

5. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Mr Clean leaves a film on the car which I find objectionable to promote the self-drying effect. I spend a lot of time on Autopia there aren't many people who have anything good to say about that car wash. I also bought the Mr. Clean gizmo, but only for the deionized water. That, coupled with my household water softener, really eliminates spotting.

6. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I only use the water filter setting of Mr. Clean too(none of the included soap).

I also stopped using the lambswool mit in trade for a micro fiber mit due to little pieces of the lambswool coming off.

I like how the water (when using the filter setting) breaks over surface stuff first, like a bug or piece of dirt I missed.

7. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have talked myself into ordering the 12oz bottle of the Ultima Paint Guard Plus. I will let everyone know how it goes when I get it on.

8. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You will be amazed by the stuff (if not, send it back for a refund). Did you order the Ultima Paint Prep Plus?

1) wash car
    2) dry car
    3) clay car
    4) (optional) wash and dry car again
    5) Ultima Paint Prep Plus
    6) Ultima Paint Guard Plus

If you can, do three coats a full 12 hours (curing time) apart each. One coat is adequate, but three will leave the finish extremely slick with excellent shine. Use the UPGP SPARINGLY. When the instructions say two or three spays on the microfiber covered applicator sponge per body panel, they mean it. Using too much can cause streaking which you can easily buff off with a microfiber towel, but the point of the product is that you don't normally buff it off. Each coat will take less than 10 minutes on a Prius. I had been a Zaino user for a several years, but the Zaino stuff is now going on eBay. I didn't mention this before (sorry), but the code "Autopia" gets you a 10% discount if you purchase through the Autopia web store..

9. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And they are having %15 off sale right now.

10. Ailu

Ailu Prius Groupie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Based on the recommendations here at Prius Chat, I bought a Mr. Clean car wash and some Ultima Paint Guard Plus.

I LOVE the Mr. Clean! We have the hardest water here, and anytime I wash our cars, if any water dries on the car (which ultimately some always does) it leaves raised hard water spots that look like barnacles on the paint. But with the Mr. Clean, the car dried with not even one spot! I am completely sold on it, based on this feature alone. I will have to look on eBay and find myself some cheap filters, cause I'm gonna be usin this baby!

And the Paint Guard Plus? I still can't believe I spent 10 minutes wiping this stuff on my car, and it looks like I did a 5 hour detail job. Amazing stuff!

11. LoreePrius

LoreePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After almost 4 years ownership, for the first time I went to a car wash. It look good all clean. BUT, I noticed the outside temp reading is not exactly correct. Does anyone know were the sensor is? I was thinking the car wash brushes maybe loosen it?

12. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Common problem. When sensor dries out it should be fine. It's under front bumper somewhere I think I recall. Do a search for more info.

13. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I haven't order the stuff yet. I plan on ordering the Ultima Paint Guard Plus, Ultima Paint Prep Plus, and Ultima Paint Guard Wash. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the Ultima Elastrofoam Paint Cleaning System? It says that it is like claying your car, but I don't know if that is true or not. I have never clayed a car before, I don't know what brand to get and such. I saw one bar called "Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay." I plan on ordering later on today, anyone else know of any of the Ultima products I should order, or for that matter any car finish related product?

14. daviswavis

daviswavis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has anyone tried Rejex?

RejeX

15. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, get all "save the worldy" on us, then I bet you go home, drink water, eat food that was grown with water, take showers every week, wash your clothes in water... I bet you even use a toilet with water in it!

She who lives in a glass house should not throw water.