1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Washing the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sunnysandiegan, Jun 9, 2006.

1. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmccord @ Jun 9 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]268666[/snapback]</div>
    I just bought The Absorber when I got my Prius. It is a great tool.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How To Wash a Car: Things I've Learned The Hard Way

Park it in the shade, but not under a tree that will drip sap on it.

Make sure your neighbour's bird feeder is full, and yours is empty.

Be sure all the windows are all the way up *before* you spray the car.

Use two buckets, and rinse the washcloth instead of putting the dirt back on the car.

Be sure your neighbour isn't going to use his leafblower until *after* you've moved the car.

*Don't* use dish soap unless you're going to wax it again right away.

When your wife complains you spend more time with the car than with her, suggest she go for a wash and wax more often. Then you'll have time to clean the inside too, because you won't be allowed back in the house anytime soon. :D

3. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would suggest using some old terry cloth towels cut up so they are not to big and drag on the ground. Get some car wash soap from Pep Boys or Walmart, don't use dish soap. Mix up a bucket of soap, hose the car down, and use the rags to wash the car from the top down. When you hose off the car take the nozzle off and use just the hose with gentle full water flow. This will allow the water to sheet and pull a lot of the water off the car to make drying easier. One old large terry cloth towel should be able to dry the entire car. Should take about 20 mins.

You might consider waxing it with something, Nufinish for example. Anything is better than nothing. Also, call around to the detail shops and see what they charge to detail. A couple of hundred bucks once a year will make your car look like new.

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jun 9 2006, 01:41 AM) [snapback]268498[/snapback]</div>
    Those are an excellent way to put swirl marks in your paint. You'll then have to pay at least $200 US to get someone competent to buff them out with a rotary or orbital polisher.

5. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jun 9 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]268720[/snapback]</div>
    I've never noticed any marks after about 20 years of using public auto car washes. And anyway why would I want to have them removed? I don't like driving about in a shiny new-looking car any more than I would always want to be dressed in a new suit with a bright tie and with highly polished shoes!
    :)

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jun 9 2006, 12:48 PM) [snapback]268779[/snapback]</div>
    This reminds me of the story of the English gentlemen who had their butlers and footmen break in their new tailored suits so that when they finally started to wear them they would not look brand new.

7. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

Okay, I found all the items on my shopping list today and I was able to park in the appropriate spot! :) When my child wakes up, I'll be washing my car!!!! YIPPEEEE!!!

Thank you for the helpful comments! :)

8. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Out of curiosity, what did you end up getting?

9. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Zaino has some good tips:
    Dawn takes off grease and oily particulates, as well as much of the bug goo.
    Use only 100% cotton made in USA to prevent scratching.
    have an '06 and I only use the "touchless" car wash or wash by hand. the Zaino Z2 was super easy to apply and gave great results!

10. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Jun 9 2006, 11:44 PM) [snapback]269055[/snapback]</div>
    One note about the Dawn wash - it will strip off your wax! Do not wash with anything other than car wash soap on a regular basis. Zaino only intends the Dawn wash to be used when you are waxing (or more appropriately Zainoing) and want to start with a "clean slate."

11. sunnysandiegan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Manksgloob @ Jun 9 2006, 07:15 PM) [snapback]268970[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, we already have a hose and buckets. I purchased one white cotton loop mitt, one blue microfiber mitt, a squeegee, a pack of microfiber towels, the "absorber", and the Mr. Clean system (pro). The Prius was REALLY dirty and it is mostly clean now. :) The true test will be in the morning. We used the entire starter bottle of Mr. Clean soap and it took forever, but it is done for now. We have two problems that I'll have to ask for help on later. Got a sick child and it has taken me like 3 hours to type this, as is. :rolleyes:

12. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jun 9 2006, 12:48 PM) [snapback]268779[/snapback]</div>
    I guarantee you that you have scratches in your paint, as it only takes a single pass through a car wash with rotary brushes to get them.

If you not are capable of seeing the scratches, you're really not qualified to be giving out advice on auto paint care. You could easily advise somebody to do something that would scratch their paint since you've just admitted you have no way of telling which products or washing techniques or types of car washes will scratch paint.

13. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sunnysandiegan @ Jun 8 2006, 09:44 PM) [snapback]268452[/snapback]</div>
    First, have or acquire a teenager who venerates cars;

Second, keep him short of money;

Third, Learn judicious threats, and

There you have a clean car!

(Sorry Sandiegan--you are just gonna have to wait a while for this one to work! Maybe on your next car! In the meantime, I guess the other tips here'll work! :lol: )

14. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jun 9 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]268874[/snapback]</div>
    This is probably true. I've known two men from aristocratic origins who always dressed in conspicuously shabby clothes - best quality but shabby. It's called 'dressing down' and may have been because they did not want to appear to be part of what they regarded as the lower classes.
    I could go on about this but this topic is about keeping your car clean - not our clothes, so I'll shut up now.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sunnysandiegan @ Jun 10 2006, 01:31 AM) [snapback]269088[/snapback]</div>
    Umm, why the squeegee and an "absorber"? The purpose of Mr. Clean is to eliminate any form of mechanical drying; it air-dries spotless.

Anyway, don't forget to put the cotton mitt through the laundry so it's clean for the next car wash.

16. sunnysandiegan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Jun 10 2006, 04:40 PM) [snapback]269324[/snapback]</div>

The squeegee is for one adult to use on the windows while the other adult is using the absorber on the car. The microfiber towels are for the little one to pretend with and I ended up using them because I don't quite have the hang of the absorber, yet. I got them at a bargain price of 24 for $7.19 and I will use them for other tasks, too, so I am not concerned about buying them. The squeegee cost $0.99 and can be used for multiple purposes. We did not own one at all. The absorber sounds like a useful item for many uses, but could also have been a waste of money as I couldn't figure it out. LOL

As for the auto-dry property of the Mr. Clean, I don't quite trust it. We have extremely hard water here and another poster mentioned he gets spots with Mr. Clean. I got the Mr. Clean system mostly for the 5x jet spray feature and the soap dispensing mechanism. However, I was not too impressed with the Mr. Clean system on our first experience. We've got another car to wash, so we'll give it another try tomorrow (or soon...we're likely to get what our child has).

I washed all items used in the car washing process last night and they air-dried overnight. :)

17. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sunnysandiegan @ Jun 10 2006, 05:41 PM) [snapback]269336[/snapback]</div>
    The water where I live isn't soft enough either, but the Mr. Clean did an awesome job. I had to resist the urge to dry by hand. Really, give it a chance. The worst that could happen is that it won't do a good job, but you can't tell if you don't give it a chance to completely air dry.

I did notice that it wasn't a perfect job. There were water spots leftover, but I realized they were only from places that I had neglected to rinse the hardwater away from (such as under the hatch latch or between the individual slit in the front grille.

Regarding the "harder" water, if anything, it would just mean that the filter would't last as long. I doubt that the minerals and other "hardness" from the water would make it through.

Give it an honest try (complete air drying.)
    I had really thought it worked well.

18. sunnysandiegan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Manksgloob @ Jun 10 2006, 08:46 PM) [snapback]269401[/snapback]</div>
    It was getting dark and I didn't want to experiment with the Prius. ;) This morning we did notice spotting on the little vertical window in the hatch area. I had dried it last with rather wet towels because DH had forgotten to get it with the squeegee and had already taken our child inside with most of the supplies. I am trying to remember if I used the filtered rinse water there or not. There were no other spots anywhere and I am sure I didn't quite dry every single inch of the car. ;)

To give it an honest shot, we'll use it as directed on the Camry tomorrow. It'll be hard to not squeegee the windows, but I won't miss drying the car!!! LOL

Thanks again for your reply way back at the beginning of this thread. I wouldn't have even known about nor given the Mr. Clean gizmo a shot without your detailed information.

19. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

yes, the Mr. Clean system works great !

20. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]
    ignorance "is" bliss!
    You don't notice them because you "don't" wash your own car.......I bet if you spent 1 hr on a Saturday afternoon washing your own vehicle you'd also notice all the rock chips on the front-end and a few door dings you didn't realize you had either.
    It's basically attention to detail........some peeps pay it......others don't.
    Not saying one is better then the other. Just one of those "2 types of peeps" deal.

ps....Richboy.......
    you look kinda "gurly"

On washing....I'm a Zaino nut (attn to detail) however, the must for the basics have already been stated.
    1-bucket
    2-washmit
    3-soap made specifically for cars
    4-drop ur washmitt or drying towell, chamios, etc... on the ground....don't use it again on the car until u wash it!
    5-anything that touches the wheels/tires area cannot touch any "painted" surface part of the car. The wheels all have teeny tiny metallic brakes dust particles which will scratch ur cars painted surfaces.
    6-dry ur vehicle with either 100%cotton towells or chamios or absorber. Don't go driving 80mph down ur local streets putting the general public at risk just to dry ur vehicle (plus it don't work well).