1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Washing the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sunnysandiegan, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Kross

Kross New Member

For those of you that use the Mr. Clean Aut-dry system regularly. Does the soap strip off the wax on the car? I mean the soap that actually comes with the system (and refills).

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sunnysandiegan @ Jun 10 2006, 11:59 PM) [snapback]269435[/snapback]</div>
    I used it last weekend and it didn't work as well. THEN I saw the "replace cartridge when brown" indicator. Of course it was brown. I'll have to do it again. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kross @ Jun 12 2006, 10:22 AM) [snapback]269994[/snapback]</div>
    I find the soap is very mild.

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 9 2006, 11:52 AM) [snapback]268651[/snapback]</div>
    It could also be a difference in rain. I'm not sure how much rain you get in that part of Calif. but if it's just a light rain (<.1") after a week or so without rain, then it's going to make big messy raindrop patterns in your dust. But if you regularly get quarter-inch rainfalls or better, and it dries without the sun coming back out, then it'll be much cleaner.

Is all dishsoap the same? I don't use Dawn, it's something else, whatever the wife has, but I've been washing my car myself for years, and my '99 Subaru that I had for 6.5 years didn't need a single wax job, the water would still bead up on it. Maybe the finish is better nowadays (but thinner, from what I've heard), or maybe because I don't wash the car every other weekend (every 6 or 7 weeks is more like it). Also, for the first few years, I parked at work in a parking garage, so it kept the sun off of it (always garaged at home).

One thing I've noticed and it hasn't been mentioned here, is that black is the hardest color to get clean, every tiny imperfection shows up. A lighter color can handle more dust before it starts to show, and you don't notice imperfections as easily.

4. TwelveInchPrius

TwelveInchPrius New Member

I thoroughly wash my Prius every day...rain or shine!! :lol:

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jun 10 2006, 02:50 AM) [snapback]268720[/snapback]</div>
    I go to a coin-op wash facility near work, about once a week. I add an extra quarter or two, for a few extra minutes on the wax cycle. As long as water beads up, you've got wax). I carry a few towels in the car and use them to wipe off the water drops especially on the windows and mirrors. Two or three times a year, I follow this up with a hand waxing at home, using paste wax. My car looks fine. I'm more concerned about keeping a wax finish than I am about every little spec of dirt. For the interior, I use Armor-all, a squirt spray plastic cleaner/polish on the dash, including the MFD screen (blot immediately, though), a nylon bristle brush on the carpeting, and a car-powered vacuum for light dirt and twigs. The fabric cleans easily with soap and water, and sometimes all I need is the nylon brush. One of those little foam paint brushes works well at removing dust specs from the MFD and dash panels.

B

6. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jun 12 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]270025[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know if it's all the same (I suspect it isn't), but the Zaino website is pretty specific about using blue Dawn dishsoap to strip the wax.

Now, if you've been washing your car with dishsoap all this time, there is very likely no wax on your car. The water may bead, but it's sitting directly on top of your squeaky-clean yet unprotected clearcoat. That ultra-thin clearcoat is the only thing between your ultra-thin paint and the elements - water, dirt, sun, pollution, etc.

7. Porridge

Porridge New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TwelveInchPrius @ Jun 12 2006, 02:29 PM) [snapback]270033[/snapback]</div>
    Very environmentally friendly :eek: In WA there is a campaign to encourage users to use car washes where the water is recycled and does not run off into the environment. Probably funded by same said car washes, but I think they have a point.