1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Washing, waxing and a few tips.....

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SILVERCwSUN, Jun 28, 2012.

1. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Everyone has there own idea of the best way to take the best care of the exterior of car. Over the years I feel like I have somewhat perfected what I do to keep my vehicles and toys looking new. The first rule is I never take my cars or truck through a commercial car wash ever. This is the quickest way to ruin your cars finish. And if you have to use a car wash, possibly due to a physical issue or impairment, use a brushless. Car washes with brushes can destroy a car's finish in minutes leaving fine scratches, swirl marks, and in some cases removing antennas and windshield wiper off the rear windows. I just don't use them, for what its worth. The only carwash that can do more damage are the "fund raisers". This will kill a finish pretty quickly.

The other pointer I will pass on to any member who reads this is NEVER use the squeegees that you see dunked in a bucket of soapy grit that you see at gas stations. You know the squeegee you see when you fill up and decide to clean your windshield while your at the pump. These squeegees are loaded with dirt sand and all kinds of nice little particles that will scratch your windshield. I saw a guy put a 22" fairly deep and visible scratch in his new Tundra windshield by using the ole gas pump squeegee. There was no question the deep horizontal line was right where he scrubbed those bugs off..right in his line of view while driving.For what its worth.....carry a cheap roll of paper towels and a bottle of Glass Plus, its cheaper than a new w/s.

I hand wash my cars and truck in the shade and only with a terry cloth towel, in a bucket filled with plenty of hot water with a blue corral car liquid soap/wax. I just happen to use Blue Corral because it cheap and I wash my vehicles often. It cleans well and leaves a great shine, I have had nothing but great results. No residue on the windows or paint.

The first thing I do is throughly hose all the dust and loose dust off the painted surfaces.

Next, I start with the soapy terry cloth and clean the roof area, working my from top to bottom. Often washing the terry cloth in the soapy bucket of hot water to clean any dirt that I have just removed. I use extra care and a separate soapy cloth for the lower area of the car like rocker panel and edges of the wheel wells etc. These areas usually hold grit from the road that does not always come off with the hose at the beginning of the wash. Again washing from top to bottom, not the opposite. This is so you don't spread the dirt from the lower part of the car to the hood, roof and trunk areas.

I wash the wheels last and if there is an accumulation of brake dust, I use a non corrosive degreaser. (Simple green is corrosive and can damage your alloys) I don't recommend using it unless you water it down. Its not advisable to leave it on alloy wheels very long. You can find an orange smelling degreaser (I can't remember the name) your local auto parts store that is non corrosive which will work fine.

After the wheels are done, I pull my car into my garage and use a terry cloth towel for drying. Once the car is dry, I take it around the block for a quick lap shedding any excess water, pull back into the garage and use Honda Spray Cleaner/Wax on all the painted surfaces. I have been using this spray cleaner since 1999 and it works fantastic. Its easy to apply and really easy to polish off with a microfiber cloth or terry cloth towel. It really leaves a mirror like shine with out buffing and having "arms like Popeye":). One can will last a quite a long time.

I use the armor all tire dressing for the tires or what ever is on sale. I try and use it sparingly as tire dressing usually ends up on the side of the car when you drive off. So spraynit on and wipe the excess off the tires. And to finish the job and I use Glass Plus for the windows and as a general cleaner on the inside of my car. If you really want to go over the top with detailing, you can use Areospace 303 plastic protector for the plastic areas such as the interior dash and other plastic surfaces. This has a UV inhibitor in it which works quite well. Its a little on the spendy side. You can find it a most boat marinas and it does not leave a greasy shine like armor all. I don't use armor all on the inside of my cars, it seems to attract dust, to each own......just my observation. This is also a great time to check tire pressures, fluid levels.

I thought adding a post for washing and waxing your new C might come in handy and the few pointers might save a member some grief.

Cheers!

David

2. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Cheaper, faster and just as good alternative.

1. Drive in.
    2. Order wash and wax.
    3. Tip $1.

3. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Free? and with a 1.00 tip.......ya get what ya pay for;)

4. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Exactly. Two hours of fishing or skiing time lost washing a car. The pollution dumping the soapy water and petroleum based waxes into the sewer system vs. the reused and treated water at the car wash. The cost of super duper callifragilistic Prius soap and wax. The less frequent washes damaging the finish, car looking dirty.

5. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I wash mine virtually the same as the OP.

Tracy likes this.
  6. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    At this point in my life, its cheaper to pay someone else to do my car for me. I would rather spend the time doing something I want to do and return to a clean car.

Plus after three years I give it to the wife and I get a new car. :cool:

Lordkifar and ProximalSuns like this.
  7. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Brilliant...lol! We all have different priorities..I am going to try the super duper soap wax! lol!

Thanks for your contribution to the thread.

8. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I forgot to mention that I use Turtle Wax 1-Step Wax & Dry as well. It works great and is almost like doing a wax job.

[​IMG]

Tracy and SILVERCwSUN like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm with you 100% regarding never using carwashes. Besides possible damage, it just doesn't do a thorough cleaning, wheel wells, rocker panels and similar. And every time you use a carwash is another time you're going to miss dings/scratches, that are starting to rust.

One tip I heard for washing house exteriors was to start at the bottom and work up, to avoid streams running through dry/dusty areas. I've kind of transferred that method to car washing. I usually started with the wheel wells and rocker panels, hosing out debris. Then work up to the roof with the hose. Then start at the top and work back down with sponge.

I don't use any goop on the tires, or special cleaner on rims. Prius in particular seems to have next to no brake dust, and just don't see the point of Armorall type products.

Lately I've started using a leaf blower to knock the most of the water off before starting the drying process. I use flannel diaper cloths for that chore. When drying I open all the doors and clean the door wells.

Spring and fall I wax. The latest stuff I've been using is McGuiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0 (yup, high tech, second release). It goes on/off easily, decent shine, smells nice. Having snow tires on separate rims allows me to wax the wheels separately, off the car.

Tracy and SILVERCwSUN like this.
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Armorall sucks. Black Magic Tire wet is a much better product. There Protectant for the dash is excellent too.
    And a California Water blade saves you alot of water & money not having to wash so many drying cloths. I can dry a Prius in about 2 minutes with a blade.

m.wynn likes this.
  11. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Water blade....might have to pick one up..

12. xerox6135

xerox6135 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Honda spray is the best it takes bugs tar off and no rubbing like with wax. I have a bad shoulder and have been with honda spray for years makes the cars look like a million bucks beads well and stays on pretty good.

13. cpfans4

cpfans4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Washing a car from the bottom to top is not recommended as even rinsing a car there could be dirt at the bottom that can be picked up by the sponge or towel you are using. wash top to bottom and wash wheels last let gravity help you.

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mendels technique only involve a hose and water, no sponges or towels. It is a good way to clean a really dirty car.

Canadians are excellent hosers.:D

15. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Exactly....I could not agree with you more. :) it's easy to ruin a cars clear coat finish....the quickest way is the ole we are raising money in parking lot washes. LoL!

16. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

17. Daizy

Daizy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Ugh..I live down a gravel road, near the beginning, Car is always dusty! It drives me nuts.. I may have to invest in a car cover or something.

18. Lickmeister

Lickmeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II

Just to be even more cautious during washing, I always use two buckets; one with the car wash detergent for washing and one bucket with clear water for rinsing out the wash cloth before dipping it again into the soap. Rinsing and dipping the wash cloth into the same soapy bucket can pick up dirt particles that stay on the cloth and can scratch the surfaces being washed. Rinsing in a separate bucket first helps remove dirt particles and keeps the wash detergent/water solution a little bit cleaner. Anal, I know, but it pays off over the long term.

Prismart and SILVERCwSUN like this.
  19. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Leaf blower works excellent to get the excess water off.

20. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I use a large 5 gallon bucket and any fine dirt settles at the bottom of the bucket. Still a great point.:)