1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Washing, waxing and a few tips.....

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SILVERCwSUN, Jun 28, 2012.

1. allen2oo3

allen2oo3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also use optimum no rinse along with their spray wax. I 2 bucket method with nice quality micro fiber towels. I I use stoner invisible glass for the windows.

2. pichner

pichner Metallic Maniac #001

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Its hard to drive with a car cover on (y)

3. norahs

norahs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks to your review and everyone else's, I picked up some ONR.

quick question, is it okay to use the ONR on the windows/mirrors as well?

4. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it's fine. I go over the windows and mirrors again with distilled water and a microfiber as a final touch. It is not necessary to do this, however.

5. Aaron007

Aaron007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I also prefer to was the at home because you can wash you car ten times better then any car wash because at car wash they are to wash some selected parts of car which they wash in their regular wash but when you wash the car at home you will wash the every parts with great detail.

#45 Aaron007, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  6. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I always avoid car washes! Waste of money and most do a half nice person job. The Prii is so small you only need an hour to wash and dry. For me its my me time to relax. I like making sure I am using non harsh products and doing it right. Always start from the top, never use plastic protectors, they cause more bad then good. To protect the interior use a sun shade or if possible a car cover. Wax at least two times a year. Your car will look great ten years from now.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With car washes you tend to neglect the scratches and dings too, never notice them. Haven't run a car through one in over 20 years. Oh hang on, the dealership did ours once, well: apart from that.

8. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The way you are doing it is certainly the best way, no doubt about that. I live in a suburb of Chicago and we have brutal winters here so I have to run mine through a car wash often in the winter time. I always use the best brushless car wash around. That's the best that I can do in my circumstances.

9. kenichols29

kenichols29 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just got mine. I have always washed my vehicles at self ser ice car washes. I never use the brush and latley I have been using my own soap and have had my best experiences that way. What kind of wax do yall have the best results with? I have mainly only used meguirs nxt wax on previous vehicles. And what about that bottle of sealer cleaner that comes with these cars from toyota?

10. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I just used NU FINISH car polish for the first time. It's highly rated by Consumer Reports and Edmund's so I thought I would try it. Supposed to apply one coat and wait 30 days and apply another coat and then it is supposed to last one year. I used the liquid. It's easy on and off. It makes the car shine nice and the water really beads up on it. That's all I know about it.

11. Booyah

Booyah Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What do you do with the B pillars where they're blacked out? Is that just black paint which should be waxed or some kind of rubberized layer that needs armorall touch up?

12. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't know what to use on them so I use nothing. I'm afraid to use wax on them because might not be able to get it off.

13. AliIzad

AliIzad Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I use this stuff:

Been using it for several years; works really well, and last a long time.

14. Hey what's the best way to keep the in side of the windshield clean, especially for night driving? I found that my night seeing is bad because all the new-car organic stuff built up on the windshield and never defrosted off.
    Same question for the other windows.

15. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have tried different kinds of glass cleaner and when I get through cleaning my windows with any of them my windows look worse than before I cleaned them. What I finally found that works good for me is a chamois cloth. Wet it and wring it out until just a little damp, then clean all windows inside and out with it. Works good for me. I also use it on the dash.

orenji likes this.
  16. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    what's a good solution for water spots on windows and paint?

17. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Try a damp chamois to see if that will work.

ztanos and kenichols29 like this.
  18. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree with this statement using a clean damp chamois, I then follow up with a clean dry microfiber towel. Using anything else is a waste of money and effort!

Okinawa likes this.
  19. danadana

danadana New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Interesting thread with lots of helpful (and sometimes contradictory) info. Any suggestions on special care for a car that has to be parked in sun and under trees five days a week? Have a new C 1 in Summer Metallic Rain, but no assigned parking at work so the car will be exposed to sun not to mention tree sap and bird droppings approximately nine hours a day. Thanks for any help...

20. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Start a conversation with syc. He used to be a professional detailer.

#60 Okinawa, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014