1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Washing your Prius: how do you do it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jack 06, Nov 5, 2005.

?
  1. 1. car wash only, frequently, on a pretty regular schedule

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2. car wash only, but let dirt build up some (eg, once/month)

100.0%
  3. 3. hand wash MYSELF, frequently (eg, once each 1-2 weeks)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4. someone else hand-washes-family, school car washes, etc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5. mixture of car washes and hand washing-but at least 1/mo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6. wash infrequently, when it's really dirty-eg, 2-3 mo/more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7. see post

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Do you avoid car washes? Do you get tired of hand-washing?

Has one of your brilliant kids ever cleaned your car with Comet? (mine did :blink: )

2. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I take her to a touch-free wash about once a week and nervusly watch the guy drying and get ready to yell if he starts violating her interior (happened twice already). I'm the only one I trust cleaning the inside. Those glossy plastic parts will stay glossy and new if they keep thier grubby towels off. I very lightly dust and that's it. Once it starts raining more, I will lighten up on the washings.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wash it myself. This way I can inspect the paint at the same time for chips and dents. Gives me a good workout anyway.

4. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Bought a Karcher so I can wash car myself easily.

5. VaPrius

VaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Going to give it its first bath this weekend. Myself.

6. IndyDoug

IndyDoug New Member

Once a week at my local express car wash. No complaints.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mine is hand washed at the auto detail shop across the street from the health club.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this is a length of ownership question for many of us. I still like to give my car some TLC and do a hand wash when it's convenient and when I want to apply Nu-Finish and just really get her shining. I did this a LOT when I first got it. Now past the 2 year mark I just take it to the car wash....I think I washed by hand twice in the past year.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i still wash by hand weekly. i think one it cools off i might change my mind. it's been a while since the car got a good underflush but i can't justify $7 a week for a clean car when i could do it for essentially the cost of time and water. i like the exercise and getting outside too.

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< I hand wash myself when needed, usually 2-4 weeks. I changed the antenna to a 2" stubby for automatic car wash purposes. I haven't noticed any degradation of radio reception since I live in a metropolitan area. I do keep the original antenna aboard for cross-country driving.

One handwashing advantage - I get a good look at the car to check for damages, and I take that time to check the tire pressures and correct with the 12v compressor and good analog gauge I keep aboard.

11. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I dust daily, hand wash about once every two weeks. I detail the vehicle, including silicon lubricant all all rubber gaskets (hood, doors, liftback), threshholds and mudflaps. I clean all windows, inside and out, vaccum the floor and interior rear. I wipe down all areas with water (under hood, inside doors, panel rockers, liftback).

I may go to a hand car wash at some point in time. For now I wash the vehicle myself and save the $12 - knowing I have done a thorough effort.

12. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hand wash and Nu-Finish once a while. In between (usually every other week), go to the car wash, the ones that you can ride thru it. So far so good.

13. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

I'd hand wash it if I had the option, but my apartment complex doesn't allow it... so I've basically been taking it through the car wash.

I noticed some minor scratches on the passenger door after going through the last time.... :angry:

Now I'm wary.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I wash "Blue Belle" myself using the Mr. Clean AutoDry system. It's very quick and easy, with no towels used. It was my wife who pressured me into getting it and I'm glad she did. :)

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Hand wash every couple of weeks, including wipedown of engine and insides of doors, trunk, hood with damp cloth. I apply a gloss after washing and put various liquids on all of the black trim and tires. About once a month I detail the inside. 2 hours for a full inside/outside treatment.

16. rogerSC

rogerSC Member

Hand wash when it really needs it, every month or so. I don't trust car washes not to scratch my car.

-Roger

17. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is an area I've never explored. I think I washed my Civic one in 10 years. Maybe I waxed it once. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf with my Prius. What sort of cloth should I use? Probably like an idiot I got the "Touch of Class" at the dealership because it sounded like a pretty easy way to keep the car looking good. I have a bunch of the stuff left over after they put it on at the dealership. Is it decent or was I had? <_<

Thanks!

18. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hand wash when the weather permits (i.e. May to October). Winter on the other hand is a problem!! That's when I have to resort to the car wash, then it's only when the temp is above about 20 or so (F), I don't like the job they do but it gets a few layers of road salt off.

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wash at a automatic care wash every 2 weeks or so depending on the weather. I have a bad back and doing the lower parts of the car that cause pain to wash.

20. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    just did my 1st wash....& wax.....did it at home......used the zaino products...& i must say.....the car came out great!!! this is probably the 1st time i have really tried to do a wax.......i'm really impressed......i cant bring myself to take it to one of those automatic washes.....& i cant see myself getting washed at the local places around....(just dont trust anyone to take care of her!) so i went for broke....... now i just want to install a clear bra......she's one month old....& i saw a small chip on the hood........i guess i will be getting into this every few weeks......& i think she is worth every bit of extra time i spend with her~
    :rolleyes: