1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Washington, D.C. Prius Primes Now Exempt From Sales Tax!

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bensmiata, Feb 16, 2018.

1. bensmiata

bensmiata Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Washington, D.C. has a law on the books that states:

Hybrid Vehicle Excise Tax Exemption
    District of Columbia legislation limits the hybrid vehicle excise tax exemption to those vehicles which achieve 40 miles per gallon (mpg) during city driving.

The original purchaser (as denoted by the Manufacture Certificate of Origin) of a qualifying hybrid or clean fuel vehicle will be eligible for an excise tax exemption and a reduced registration fee for the first period of registration. Subsequent purchasers of the same vehicle will also be eligible for an excise tax exemption; however, they will not be eligible for a reduced registration fee.

Please refer to the website, for a list of the vehicles which meet the 40 mpg criteria, and therefore, are eligible for the DC excise tax exemption/reduced.

However when I bought my Prime last week the DC excise tax calculator was showing an excise taxed owed, but it wouldn't show it on a Ford C-Max Energi, regular Prius or Nissan Leaf etc. It seemed to be a one-off fluke of why the calculator stated tax was owed. So I contacted the head of DC's DMV and she had the calculator changed to reflect no sales tax being owed on Prius Primes :). There are a few more Prime's I've seen throughout DC, hopefully they didn't pay tax at time of purchase, and if they did, DC owes them that back!

wjtracy likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Tideland Prius
    Sticky, please
    Perhaps start a consolidated thread on US purchase incentives for Prime?

3. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    wjtracy likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That might work, but it is not a sticky either.
    I envision a thread with the first post maintained by a mod much like the glossary & knowledgebase threads. The person who started that thread can no longer edit the first post to keep it reasonably current.

wjtracy likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in massachusetts, excise tax and sales tax are two different things.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was planning to make a sticky on state incentives (I had one for Pip). But they changed Prius Chat such that we cannot edit the posts anymore as changes come up. Although TideLand offered to do the edits.

As far as DC yes that is great! and the only place Prius Hybrid still gets a tax credit.
    In the "DMV", MD and DC are definitely much more cost-effective for green cars than VA where we have a hefty annual car tax.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've stickied the one @wjtracy started. Let me know if it needs updating.

Prodigyplace likes this.