1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Watch out for warping dash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusinterested, Mar 23, 2006.

1. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I understand it right a *very tiny* trickle current is sent
    through the airbag squib just to make sure it's connected -- not
    enough to set it off, and not enough to heat the wire connecting it.
    The airbag ECU is well aware of the necessary safety thresholds..
    _H*

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 23 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]229363[/snapback]</div>
    I posted my pics/update here:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=17567&st=20#

Problem was I was just out of my 36k warranty, and I didn't have the time to take the car in before putting another 500-1000 miles on the car. By that time, I had lost any hope of any "fudging" (per your original suggestion). I'm at almost 61k miles now, and the warpage has spread to the defrost grille at the driver's side. See the other post for pics.

Glad to get the part cost from this thread though on the dash cover. Anyone have the cost for the glove box (ultimate culprit)?

I think if Toyota were to help out (go 1/2), I'd consider the repair, or at least the parts, I could do the repair myself. Otherwise, unless it becomes evident that the airbag is at risk, I'll just let it slide.

For reference, I do use the HeatShield (which I won here - thanks Danny!) whenever I can, but not 100%. The car is now garaged at home as well, which is a big change from a year ago. Problem is damage is already done.

3. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Mar 23 2006, 11:21 PM) [snapback]229393[/snapback]</div>
    Brian - it warps up.

How do I know? My wife's 04 (my old car), just had the dash warp within the last month. It was caused by the glovebox door springs, as noted in the other thread. (which Toyota WILL cover, if they know what's good for them...).

4. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Mar 24 2006, 11:09 PM) [snapback]229857[/snapback]</div>
    I couldn't find that part # online or in any of the microfiche I have.

What I did find was the following for the upper glovebox (and only in 06 fiches, not 04):
    Dk Red - 55511-47020-D0
    Dk Brn - 55511-47020-E0
    Blk (06) - 55511-47060-C0
    55511-47020 shows at about $78 discounted at Conicelli online.

The part # for the dash cover seems to be wrong also (along with the price being low):

Dash cover w/o speaker hole - 55300-47030-C0
    Dash cover w/speaker hole - 55300-47040-C0

Pricing is $261for either at Conicelli, under:
    Collision Catalog Instrument panel , Instrument panel ,Upper panel ,W/o center speaker

5. Moby Whaley

Moby Whaley Junior Member

I may have some good news about Toyota Corp's attention they are giving my warped dash situation. I'm so excited someone contacted me I had to write a reply here and now. Actually, I do not have a resolution at this time but there is an investigation going on. Will keep all informed.

6. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moby Whaley @ Oct 5 2006, 02:42 PM) [snapback]328625[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Moby, we all appreciate it.

7. Moby Whaley

:p Wonderful news! My dash is fixed and my upper glove compartment is fixed. Thanx to PriusChat! I communicated with the TMS rep that was on this thread or other threads on this site. The Toyota TMS guy told me to take in my car to my local Toyota Service Dept and see what they say. I was refused. Shortly after reporting what happened I got a call from Toyota directly. Took my car in on an appointment and had the Corp. Rep for the area look at the problems and spoke with the service mgr at the local Dealer.

They offered to replace my dash if I paid for 2 hrs labor and if I wanted to I could pay for the upper glove compartment at $153 and they'd install that at the same time for the same 2 hr. time allotment. I then called Toyota Corp and told them the verdict. Toyota Corp said if I paid the bill that they'd reimburse me for the upper glove compartment pats. In the end, all is fixed like new for 2 hrs labor (approx $200 out of pocket). This took a lot of patience on my part. It wouldn't have happened without the wonder of the internet and PriusChat.

8. jsorger

jsorger New Member

Happy to hear your good news, Moby. I remember you from an old tire thread...

I am also afflicted with the dash warp. Began about a week ago and is exactly as described by others in this thread (this is not my first post, by the way).

Manufacture date of the car is 9/03 (one of the first 2004's) and I'm at 80k miles.

Any hope? Mind sending me more specific details of who you spoke with?

jsorger at yahoo dot com

Thanks,
    Jonathan

9. ownerwannabee

ownerwannabee New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(djasonw @ Mar 23 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]229341[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. I guess this site only allows one point of view. It would be nice to get impartial views and even negative ones before making a purchase.

10. Moby Whaley

Wow Jsorger,
    You sure have a good memory. If you look at the threads, look for one from TMS (I think). The guy from Toyota corporate. That is who I spoke with. Remember, I had the 100,000 Mi./10 Yr. warranty. Although the warranty only was good on "trim" for the 1st 36,000 miiles the guy from corp. had them fix it after they refused to fix it from my first inquiry. I hope this helps

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jsorger @ Mar 19 2007, 11:24 PM) [snapback]408819[/snapback]</div>

11. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ownerwannabee @ Jul 22 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]483357[/snapback]</div>
    Hi ownerwannabee, welcome to PriusChat, I hope you become a Prius owner. If you read, there are many and divergent views on PriusChat, but people here seem to have a nose for trolls and jerks. This is a friendly community. If you read the posts before and following the one you quoted in a now old thread, you will see that someone was not involved in friendly rational discussion.