1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Watch Your Windshield

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by kkim, Apr 3, 2012.

1. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    :(

[​IMG]

Discovered a large crack in the windshield over the weekend. I had just come back from filling up the car and the crack was not there when getting home. I moved the car out of the garage so my son could do some work and when I went to move it back in a couple of hours later, there it was. The car was sitting out in the sun during that time.

Upon closer examination, I do see a very small rock chip in the crack which could have been the starting point of the long single crack.

I do realize rock chips can cause cracks such as these, but what really surprised me was when I called to get an estimate on repair, the person said they had just repaired a Prius c windshield from a person that had their car for only 2 days before it was damaged. Same indications of a small rock chip as the start of a large single crack.

It all might be a coincidence, but wanted to warn others that of the 4 Prius c's that have been sold on Kauai in the last month, 2 of them have suffered windshield damage within weeks of delivery. I have had rocks "star" windshields before, but this is the first I've ever experienced where the rock chip started a long single crack such as this.

Be careful out there.

2 people like this.
  2. compac

compac PSU, Metallic Blue Ribbon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry about your new car windshield getting cracked. You might have a $0 deductible on glass w/ your insurance.

3. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unfortunately, I believe that this kind of crack is going to become commonplace with higher fuel economy vehicles.

I'd owned this '09 RAV4 a little over two years when a crack suddenly appeared across 60% of the windshield. Chips had been repaired twice on this vehicle. The one that caused this crack was very hard to spot, low on the windshield and only the size of the tip of a ball-point pen. The thermal shock of defrosting the windshield on icy mornings kicked it off.

Long crack, LEFT side
    [​IMG]

Continuation of long crack, RIGHT side (Please pardon my coffee stains!)
    [​IMG]

I was very frustrated with Toyota for having such a thin windshield that this would occur. In contrast, we've owned a '94 Chrysler for almost 20 years, and the only time we had to replace a windshield was when the hood latch failed and the hood flew up and smacked the glass HARD.

I'm not so sure that the windshield is where I want manufacturers to be economizing for weight, not if it will lead to a new windshield every two years.

Because this crack didn't pose a visual obstruction, and a highway safety expert assured me that the strength in the glass was in the laminates anyway, AND I had a whole Nebraska winter of gravel and snow ahead of me, I didn't replace the windshield right away. Now that it is spring it's on the list. I have a $500 deductible, so windshields are going to come out of my pocket. (The insurance DOES take care of chips however).

So I plan to take the car to get it inspected for the smaller, harder to find chips to be fixed every few months, and PARTICULARLY right before cold winter sets in.

Maybe the insurance companies will start complaining to the manufacturers. Who knows. :mad:

[​IMG]

4. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah, please check your insurance co about having your glass repaired, no cost.

now with that said and done, i recently had my glass repaired with safelite. i was TERRIBLY DISAPPOINTED. the "resin injection" did nothing for me EXCEPT stopping the
    spider webbing that naturally occurs, but the crack is still very visible and with them
    "cleaning" the surface of the windshield with a razor blade afterwards, I can see the
    scraping whenever the windshield is wet. I dont know if that destroyed the hydrophobic
    coating on that portion of the windshield.

my suggestion - replace the windshield.

5. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry KKIM....but based on this...I just switched my comprehensive from 500 to zero deductable...only cost me 60 dollars a year for two cars

-M

1 person likes this.
  6. HyperFX

HyperFX NIMFY (not in my front yard)

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry you had to replace your windshield so early. I had a similar incident with my prius 1 month into my ownership. I also believe that lightweight/ thin glass materials have limitations. I used Safelite and replaced the whole windshield without any issues.

7. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Mman... that is something I'm seriously considering at this point as well.

I checked when I phoned in the damage and my deductible for this is $500. The insurance company rep called back to confirm my coverage. Cheapest I can get it repaired here is a bit over $500 using aftermarket glass, so I'm thinking of having them use OEM glass (at twice the price) since the insurance company is picking up the tab for anything over the deductible.

8. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A long crack started across my 2009 Civic Hybrid windshield at 50,000 miles. It had a similar starting point and curve to kkim's crack, but the body shop could feel no nicks when they ran their fingernail down the crack. The body shop believed it was a defective windshield, which normally occur prior to 200 miles. Also, I've had sheetmetal dented by small hail that didn't harm nearby vehicles. That was especially irritating.

Because of the thinner materials used in hybrid vehicles, raindrops make a high-pitched plink on the windows and sheetmetal. I've learned to accept the fragile external shell as a hazard of hybrid ownership. I don't like it any more than anybody else, but I've learned to accept the tradeoff and risk.

9. phenoyz

phenoyz Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    off topic but is it safe to replace the GLASS with LEXAN window?
    it will also be lighter

10. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No, all galss used in automibles must neet DOT approval.

Lexan yellows and crazes too easily. It also pits too easily with sand inpact. Lexan is too soft and flexible.

11. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Update- Total to replace the windshield will be close to $1500 using OEM glass. :eek: I will pay a $500 deductible and the insurance co. will pick up the balance.

I will switch my deductible after this is all settled to $50 or 100 just in case this ever happens again. I was quoted the increase to be only 40-50 per year more for the lesser deductible on comprehensive... and no, my rates will not increase due to this claim.

12. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OMG. That's horrendous about the cost of windshield.

And good that your rates won't be going up. That would add insult to injury!

13. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Something else to watch for in winter - be very careful if you need to scrape ice/snow off the Prius windshield. It scratches very easily.

I've taken to not scraping with a plastic scraper at all but using the windshield wiper/washer and front defogger with a little warmup time to keep it from refreezing.

Tracy likes this.
  14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    does anyone pay for glass repair? i have a $100 deductible on windshield repair that the insurance company pays (why is there a deductible then?? good question...)
    based on contracting ahead of time for the repair at a reduced rate to lower the cost to zero...at least that is what i was told.

i asked why they couldnt just say the deductible was zero...but.

another thing, the crack is not enough that you can claim it. have to wait for the crack to get big enough to obstruct your view. considering the location, that might never happen

15. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My claim is in and the insurance company has approved the submitted claim. The glass shop has spoken directly with the insurance company and they have come to terms. We are waiting for the glass to be shipped in from another island before an appointment to replace is scheduled. Don't know if windshield damage differs from state to state, but that windshield would definitely not pass the yearly safety check required here in Hawaii.

This crack cannot be repaired, due to it's length. The windshield needs to be replaced.

The insurance companies will gladly pay for a repair of a windshield instead of having to pay out to have it replaced, which is why they pay for the entire amount on repairs. Considering the amount I was quoted to have it replaced, you can see why they are so generous to offer free repair. :p

16. Mattray

Mattray Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I had to replace the windshield 2 times in 5 years on my GEN II prius. I hope I do not have that issue with my Prius C.

17. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think that it depends on the laws of the state where you are insured. Of course, the insurance company will have priced in whatever your state requires of them into your rate. :D

In Massachusetts where I used to live, windshield replacement was fully covered with no deductible, even though I had a deductible on any other claim.

Here in Nebraska, my $500 deductible applies to the windshield replacement, too. However, chip repair is covered with no deductible.

State-by-state information about windshield coverage requirements is here at INFORMATION ABOUT CAR WINDSHIELDS

18. timtim2008

timtim2008 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    cracks in windshield are sometimes covered under manufacture warranty, if discovered before 12k miles. (if not from impact)

19. cpfans4

cpfans4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually windshields are a laminate of glass and plastic where the plastic holds the glass together in event of an accident limiting shards of glass from slicing you to death.

20. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Already spoke to the dealer and they won't warranty it unless the glass shop, who is doing the repairs, says the crack is due to a factory defect.