1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water damage dashboard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Longngo, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Longngo

Longngo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Water on dash board
    I really need help , 3 week ago , I spray water on the dash inside the vehicle , 06 Toyota Prius now the car got water inside , it won’t start or power it on , everything else is working , so I tow to the dealer , they charge 7 thousand to fix it , I refuse not to fix , they charge $600 for diagnostic fee , so the diagnostic fee and the tow bill , I spend almost $900 , the dealer they said the wiring harness is damage, but after I inspect , all the wiring in a good shape , so I open the Prius Combination Meter Speedometer Instrument Cluster , and I saw water damage , so if I replace the instrument cluster speedometer, is it going to take care the problem ? At right now my car won’t power it on or start up , nothing on the dash or the center display monitor , please give me an advice what could be wrong thanks

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dealership should have their business license suspended and be fined for those charges they made. Do you have any warning lights/error codes? Also how old is the 12v battery and how much water are we talking about? Can you give us some details?

Longngo likes this.
  3. Longngo

Longngo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The stealership they charge me $7 thousand to fix it , I tell them no , they charge me $600 for the diagnostic fee , and the torn thing apart and did not put back together, they claim that I call the tow truck arrive too early they don’t have time to put back together , at this moment I file the disputed with my credit card company to get the $600 back , unexceptable services ,
    The 12 volt battery is good , I even jump start nothing work , here is what happen I pressure washer the dash board , and the floor so the water flash up there , then I start the vehicle and go to work , when I’m driving the brake light come on , I got little bitch of the brake , then I noticed there is something wrong , then I arrived at work , I leave all the window roll up , and 3 hour later I came out to start the car won’t start ,no power ready at the push start or the dash and the center display , everything is work , so I tow to the stealership they told me the wiring harness damage it will cost 7k to fix it , as I inspect the harness it all looking good , I noticed the speed odometer cluster board few spot water damage , so if I replace the speed odometer board ? Is my car going to power up , I got no warning light or error code , except for the brake light come on after I wash it and drive , brake light come on , and the 12volt battery is excellent, 12 volt I even jump start from another vehicle nothing on , the headlight and the horn and the peeping sound when I insert the key it all work

#3 Longngo, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Put the car out in the sun and try to get it as hot inside as possible and try again in a few days once things have a chance to dry out. Not sure why you thought pressure washing the inside of your car was a good idea? I know there are youtube videos of people doing this, but would you pressure wash wash your phone or you laptop computer? Same logic applies...

5. Longngo

Longngo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks your advices Prius camper , I did pressure inside my sienna before , so I though Prius are the same , the car has been sit in the hot sun about 10 day and nothing happen , I bought some electric cleaner and spray all the wire connection , my last chance is replace the Prius Instrument Cluster Combination meter Speedometer as it because that one i noticed the water damaged in a few spot , if that once not work then the car will be bye bye

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd get the car powering up again before worrying about combination meter... Check all the fuses...

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Post pictures of the damaged area so we can see how bad it is.

You had me at pessure washed the dashboard.

bisco and PriusCamper like this.
  8. Longngo

Longngo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is the pic , no power up no ready light come on

Attached Files:

9. Longngo

Longngo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is the pic , no power up no ready light

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh man that's horrible....There's so many important ecu's right there behind the wheel...

11. Longngo

Longngo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After I wash the inside , I able to start it up and drove to work , then I park the vehicle at work with the window roll up , 3 hours later I came out the car won’t start

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i missed the pressure wash part, i thought it was a spill or spray bottle

Data Daedalus and Longngo like this.
  13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dont know where Longview is.

Reassemble the car best you can. Then make sure you have at least 12.4 volts on the front under hood 12 volt jump point.

Then you will need a really good obd device with Toyota Techstream software the same software the dealer uses. We all use a cheap chinese hacked version called mini vci on a burner laptop.

use search forums tab up top and search:

mini vci and hen toyota techstream for other obd choices.

there's few phone apps. With these obd code puller devices you will be able to harvest the codes the car is throwing that will point to what ecu is blown.

Without it you have no hope of repairing the car. God luck ya lunatic lol....

bisco likes this.
  14. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, this is not intended to sound rude, but it's time for you to buy another car.

If you thought it would be ok to pressure wash the dashboard of a car, any car, then you do not have the level of knowledge to inspect all the components, determine what is good or bad or reassemble that dash. This whole situation is on you, not the dealer. You're lucky they even agreed to look at it. If it were me, I would have probably refused to even open the door. This is a lot more involved than just finding one component. You're asking them to be liable for water damage that shows up months from now due to corrosion, etc. It's no different from a flood car, except you did the flooding instead of nature. Accept it and move on. Never 'pressure wash' anywhere near the interior of a car.......I can't believe I'm even writing this....

edthefox5 likes this.
  15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    lol...i thought maybe it was a troll f'ing with us but he seems very convincing.

When you look at the pictures its junkyard time.