1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water damage in spare tire well?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by redscare2008, May 7, 2023.

1. redscare2008

redscare2008 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all, I drive a 2008 base model which I have had for about 2.5 years. I've been noticing some moisture in the trunk on occasion and the rear washer nozzle was missing for a few months (just replaced it a few days ago) so I know there's been some wiper fluid leakage, so yesterday I pulled everything out of the trunk and found about an inch of standing water in the bottom of the well.

I drained it with the drain plug and patted everything as dry as I could, and stuck two socks filled with cat litter in around the spare to help keep it dry for awhile. However, this stuff in the bottom of the well has got some gnarly cracks in it now.

My question for you all is, will this particular damage come back to bite me in the butt later? Is it or could it turn into structural damage? I love the car and plan to drive it for as long as I can. 20230507_101000.jpg

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is a very very common complaint they all leak eventually. There's cracks in the roof where the roof meets the rear quarter panel in the hatch valley. Water drips down from there into the trunk. if really bad leak water will get under the rugs in the back seat and stink the car up.

The thing to be concerned about is the 12 volt battery is now sitting in water. Water fills up the hole it sits in. It will rust out that battery well and may make it unusable to hold the battery.

Take the battery out remove its drain plug and soap and water the hole out dry it out see how bad the corrosion is. Try to remove the corrosion best you can and spray paint it.

If the car lives outside looks like this car does do not remove the drain plugs but drill small weep holes in the plugs. if you leave the plugs out mice love the prius and will get into the car and will do really bad damage to the cars wiring. Really common. In fact take out the cabin ac air filter behind the glove box to check for meece activity and also open the ENGINE air filter box and check in there. Mice like to turn both those spots into a Days Inn.

Use the blue search forums link top of the page in the future for any questions.

Here's a forum link to leaking G2's:

https://priuschat.com/search/423556600/?q=leaking+water+into+cabin&t=post&o=relevance

PS-Bite in the butt part is water also leaks right on to the hybrid battery fan connector and rust/rots that connector out also. Its directly in the path of the water drip. Its behind the passenger side rear cover above the 12 volt battery. When that connector fails the car will throw a master caution triangle.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, as Ed said, it's very common... Pull the black trim strips off the roof and get it real clean under there so you can inspect the welds, which is a common place for the leaks. It's pretty easy to patch up. There's other places the leaks come from, but those are the main ones.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's crap Toyota puts in the car tap it with a hammer it'll fall apart scoop it up throw it away so it's not vibrating around there in the back when you're driving most of it'll come up with light hammer taps It just breaks If you feel you have to lay something down there you can take some half inch rubber foam or something trim it to where you like it sit in there there's no need but some people. Water doesn't run uphill from the ground up so that water you're seeing is coming from the hat seal down to that area or from a tail light leaking or something like that It's not coming through the floor of the spare tire well through that stuff that's breaking and cracking and sitting in the spare tire well it would just run right back out the slits that came through right? Of course it would so it's coming from higher up there's thousands of discussions on that here first thing I do is open the hatch and see if I can see my nice black rubber seal or if I have dirt and tree shit level with that seal If I do I imagine you'll put on a rubber glove and finger out all that nastiness then use some cleaner some water etc stop parking under trees whatever it takes or you can keep fingering and cleaning every so often however it makes you happy but that's where your leak is coming from somewhere near the rear hat seal downward

5. redscare2008

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The hatch gasket is intact and unobstructed so I know that's not the problem. I recently replaced the rear wipe fluid nozzle as i said so that shouldn't be an issue in the future, but I have to dismantle the back seats so I can inspect the traction battery fan in the next few days, so I'll check under the hatch trim and inspect the 12v battery well when I do that. I'll say it's probably had water down there for at least a few months and the 12v has been fine so I'm not too worried about it for the moment.

Tombuk2 answered my original question so thank you for that, take care and hail Satan.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    HAIL SATAN!!! Sometimes I sit one of the grandkids in the trunk and spray it with a water while they watch I've even giving them a water-based marker and let them mark on the metal the spots where they see water dripping they do it carefully believe it or not and then I take a look.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. redscare2008

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I cleaned the traction battery fan this afternoon and took a look in the 12v battery well while i had the trim out, and it looks nice and dry thankfully. The spare tire well seems to be staying dry too for the time being, i'm gonna keep a close eye on it for a few months and if there seems to be more leakage i'll do some more looking around to find the source (i might get someone to help me with that hose idea Tom :p).

Thanks all for the help and banter, i greatly appreciate it.