Water, food, fuel -- how difficult is it to have a cache?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Feb 19, 2021 at 9:40 PM.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Was the organic cat litter cheaper?

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That kinda circles back to the original topic again, doesn't it?
    I often say that Darwin is messy and slow, but effective.
    This is mostly because humans are capable of procreating in their early teens......and sex is pretty fun.
    However (comma!) sometimes....Darwin plays catch-up with natural and human caused disasters.

I'm an ardent proposal of both capitalism AND nucular power - but probably not at the same time.

In freekin Japan of all places....somebody thought it would be a good idea to put an obsolete nucular power plant.....in a dense urban AND in a very seismically active area. Oh yeah....and next to the ocean.
    Even then, they would have been OK if they would have had a more realistic OSCAR-SIERRA plan and not put their emergency genset outside...
    Power Utilities just aren't big enough to play in "the street."
    They should be (and mostly ARE) public utilities and they should be fairly and tightly regulated.

This isn't limited to nucular power, and power problems aren't limited to Texasass.
    PG&E has killed well over 100 people in recent years and they destroyed a town because they cheaped out on line maintenance. I said "over a hundred people" because when the Paradise fire happened they were LITERALLY still on probation from killing about a dozen people in 2010 from the same thing.
    Oh.....and they're decommissioning a nucular power plant....that they were operating.....next to the ocean. ;)

So.....
    Even though Darwin is a slow process...DISASTERS are not.
    Whether it's earthquakes, fires, flooding, pestilence or civil unrest (i.e. peaceful demonstrations) defication WILL occur, and you don't have to go all crazy prepper to harden yourself against becoming a victim instead of a 'survivor.'

It's not hard.
    It's not expensive.

Your call.

#22 ETC(SS), Feb 23, 2021 at 9:48 AM
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 9:54 AM
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ... with a floodwall height set only as high as the tallest tsunami to hit that beach in just the prior 10 years before construction, from an event 10,000 miles away ...

... so when a similar event hit much closer, so close that earth movement immediately lowered that floodwall a full meter ...

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have often wondered what could be done (pie in the sky) to allow the US government to enter the energy market, with the USN doing the generation and fulfillment with gear common to that which they put in the fighting boats.

Steam (or amps) by the hour, coming from the organization with arguably the best safety record of any using nuclear technology. I put it down as one of those ideas that just makes too much sense.

Trollbait likes this.
  5. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm pretty sure that shore-based options could be optimized for grid work...and I'm absolutely sure that reactors could be put in sites that are not very interesting politically, geologically, seismically, etc.
    The problem with commercial power is the commercial part....and I say this as probably more of a libertarian than 99.99999999999 percent of Prius devotees.....but SOME things NEED to be done by dot.gov, and some things need to be done by dot.mil.......and sometimes it's unwise to 'cross the streams.'
    Some of the saddest chapters in the dot.mil world have occurred when people started to confuse them with dot.coms and decisions were made for spendy reasons rather than putting kids in harm's way with the best tools available.
    One small example occurred when @bwilson4web 's Marines were issued bolt action rifles and deposited into a jungle fight in the opening days of Whiskey-Whiskey Deuce because: "A PROPER Marksman will not need to waste ammunition with an automatic rifle."
    Oops. :eek:

However (comma!)
    Even if they stay in their lanes, Dot.mil, dot.gov, AND dot.com need to be aggressively monitored and held to standards.
    The CHI-COMMMs actually do that fairly well, and folks who embarrass the state can expect swift and VERY aggressive (if not particularly fair) corrective action.
    Meanwhile it is VERY possible for a dot.com to kill dozens of people in this nation......more than once...through sheer negligence without one single company ossifer doing a perp walk.
    THAT could probably be tweaked a little bit.
    The dot.mil world is also badly corroded by capital with numerous examples (F35, DDG1000, LCS, M17/18 etc...etc...etc...) which SHOULD lead to more former flag ranking officers raking sand traps at some club fed, perhaps being assisted by a few Congress Critters.
    Finally......for those that think that dot.gov is the shining path forward......there's public education as an example of "Don't let this happen to you!!!"

In Real Estate the golden rule is Location.....Location.....Location.
    The part that they DON'T SAY out loud is that it's not always the location of the HOUSE that's important but rather the location of the SCHOOL. ;)
    The kids in my life for example haven't missed any days this school year (like....since September!)

OODA.....

OBSERVE
    ORIENT
    DECIDE
    ACT.

That also works well in developing your OSCAR-SIERRA plan as mentioned in #1 :D

#25 ETC(SS), Feb 23, 2021 at 2:25 PM
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 2:31 PM
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

I tend to think there's got to be a way to make it work. I'm sure the navy wouldn't mind having 'spare' powerplants for some of its nuclear ships, all ready to go, packaged on barges or railcars or something and properly broken-in. They get to train up more engineers and keep more of them current.

The arrangement I'd figured for the overall system was an artificial geyser. That is, a source of steam, owned by the US Government on federal land. Once the flow is stabilized and quantified, sell access leases to energy companies. They do the generation & distribution. Almost like a geothermal station except the steam comes out of your numbered spigot on the manifold instead of an expensive hole in the ground.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That will need condensate return lines too, unless it is in a location with a nearly unlimited supply of very clean water.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, just realized I only presented the ultra-brief form of the project plan

9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    NYC has centralized stream distribution for bout 100 yrs.
    It's makes a lot of sense in specific instances, although much like electricity it loses energy with distance as temp falls

10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nobody wants loose electricity running around. :confused::rolleyes:

I suspect you never want to lose electricity either. ;)

11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Only if .gov critters actually worked for something other than maximizing their personal wealth. .gov is not supposed to be run like a private business but that is currently a better less expensive option than what we currently have.

12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep. Home schooling for the win! Preferably with school choice to vote with your tax dollars. Next best are good private schools but they are less affordable.
    We successfully home schooled our children through high school and both graduated from college.[

John321 likes this.
  13. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Were I the parent of school children TODAY?
    I'd sell a kidney to keep them out of the public school system....and I have access to the best school district in my state!

It's a little off the OP, but PART of hardening yourself against fecal matter is early planning. ;)

#33 ETC(SS), Feb 24, 2021 at 8:46 AM
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021 at 10:37 AM
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  14. John321

John321 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    delete

#34 John321, Feb 24, 2021 at 2:09 PM
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021 at 4:04 PM