1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water Fuel???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by OUscarb, May 15, 2006.

1. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://digg.com/technology/Water_Fuel_-_HHO_Gas
    Patent
    Website
    wikipedia

"The Hybrid Hydrogen Oxygen System ("HHOS") can generate sufficient Aquygen™ Gas to enrich a vehicle's traditional fuel supply (gasoline or diesel) so that a net power increase in engine horsepower ("HP") occurs. In the prototype vehicle, it has been estimated that the heavy-duty alternator requires approximately 4 HP of the stock engine's base power load. It has been estimated that the increased energy release of the combustion process utilizing the Aquygen™ Gas enrichment resulted in a net 17 HP gain."

I don't know where they've been hiding this, perhaps waiting for patent approvals, but 4 HP doesn't seem like much a price to pay, as long as you only use it "on-demand".

Good nay-sayer blog:
    http://mobjectivist.blogspot.com/2004/08/brownkleinhho.html

2. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ May 17 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]256869[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, the water is NOT the "fuel" in the case of a hydro waterwheel, whether for an old mill or a modern hydro-electric plant. The "fuel" in this case is nothing more than GRAVITY. The water just happens to be the heavy material that is being pulled downward by gravity.

A hybid coasting down a hill and charging the battery with the ICE off is also, partially at least, powered by gravity as a fuel.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    couple of ways to look at this. gm is one of the leaders in hydrogen technology. i can easily see an independent research facility of one outpacing gm simply because of the lack of directionless management controlling him.

the 2nd way to look at this is with my eyes closed. if its remotely true, we will see it soon enough

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redblue88 @ May 17 2006, 08:12 AM) [snapback]256860[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, that makes sense. It would take some kind of energy to break the bond. I'm not sure H2 from natural gas would benefit us very much, as we are getting set to import natural gas in huge quantities just to meet current demand.

5. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In the late 70's and early 80's Yull Brown "invented" Brown's Gas and used it to pocket a whole bunch of investor money. I wish it weren't, but I suspect that is also the goal of the current rehash of Brown's Gas.

Besides bottled water is way more expensive than gasoline. :)

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    blank

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 17 2006, 07:40 PM) [snapback]257293[/snapback]</div>
    Takes a LOT of energy to break the bond. And you get a bit of it back, when you restore the bond.

H2 from natural gas is pretty much crazy. We can use the natural gas *directly* to make electricity or to fuel a car. But so far the H2 folks think it is a grand idea to strip the H2 out of NG to put it in Fuel Cell cars to be all "green."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 16 2006, 10:38 PM) [snapback]256693[/snapback]</div>
    Quite true (well, we don't use hardly any "oil" to make electricity in the US). But the BIG difference here is that we CAN make electricity with renewables. We can make it cleanly. My car is charged via solar panels, for example. We can never do that with gasoline.

We can make H2 cleanly as well... but that requires 3-4 times the electricity as a battery EV, so I'm still not sure why we would bother. An H2 Fuel Cell stack is basically a complex, expensive, inefficient battery. But a battery you can add external "fuel" to.

7. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ May 17 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]256908[/snapback]</div>
    The interesting thing is the properties of HHO. Apparently it binds with gas or diesel to increase thermal properties. According to the blurb, most standard motors can be easily converted to run on such a mixture.

8. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  9. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redblue88 @ May 17 2006, 08:12 AM) [snapback]256860[/snapback]</div>
    There are other places where hydrogen is bound than water though, and not all of them have the same binding energy :)

10. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Interesting video; reminds me of the cold fusion thing about ten years ago. Maybe I'm missing something here, but this seems too much like "free lunch" physics to be plausible.

Assuming we could power our society with water as fuel...has anyone figured out where we would get the additional fresh water we'd need since there is already a shortage of fresh water on the planet and water is going to be even scarcer with global warming. I doubt current de-salination techniques are up to the task were we to try using seawater.

Would we divert drinking and irrigation water from poor countries so we can run our Hummers on water? The US has already demonstrated a hefty lack of concern about its resource consumption; scary to think of America diverting drinking water from poor people so we can run Hummers in LA.

11. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I see of it more of really bad reporting (GEEE from Fox? NO WAY!) because the car does NOT run on water, it does not run on hydrogen or anything else other than gasoline, the system simply adds hydrogen (and probably oxygen from the process) into the combustion chamber to give it a little more bang due to some different reactions that happen. Akin to running with clean air filters vs dirty air filters.