1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water getting into trunk trim

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by drives, Mar 11, 2023.

1. drives

drives Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi all,

I noticed yesterday that I had some drips emerging from the plastic trim around the hatch when I opened it yesterday, so the water was emerging from the gap between the trim just above the rear left headrest. There's also signs of water egress as you can see in the photo in the join further up.

I've had a brief look but to be honest not really sure where to start in terms of finding where this leak is coming from. Anyone had similar/any ideas?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You'll find a few threads here on the Gen 3 list and the generation 2 list that go into this in detail Make sure that the sraling area on the car is clear of all debris from trees leaves dirt etc this is generally how it starts and other ways are small hairline cracks in the caulking or material that's used to join pieces of metal together It's like sound deadening caulking material as it gets old it cracks separates allows moisture in similar to what happens in the bathroom around the tub in the shower

3. drives

drives Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks- I did search on here a fair bit last night but most of the previous threads that I could find related to finding water in battery tray/spare wheel etc. My boot aside from the above is completely dry so couldn't work out how it was getting underneath the trim but nowhere else.

4. rrg1234

rrg1234 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use rubber conditioner on my seals to keep them soft and so the doors don’t freeze. I suspect you might have very dry or hard seals that now allow water to spill in.
    I use Gummi-pfledge once a year.
    Also clean out the water path so it doesn’t dam up. Leaves build up in that area for me in the fall.
    My2cents

#4 rrg1234, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  5. drives

drives Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes good shout I'll try that- thanks.

6. Barcelona Red

Barcelona Red OM dream mobile sea glass

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yep, this is what happened with my 2008 Prius but I sold it instead of fixing it.
    In the meantime, buying a waterproof car cover is a good investment. Before I sold it, I bought a $98 waterproof car cover and the water stopped getting in.