1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

water in 12v battery well

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mscholtz, Jan 8, 2022.

1. mscholtz

mscholtz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We've been having odd electrical problems lately, where everything electrical seems to be working normally, and a few minutes later the car won't start, lights are dim, etc, as if the 12v battery is drained when it wasn't 5 mins previous. This has happened a few times over the past several weeks, coinciding with colder weather (I'm in the Puget Sound region). We've had lots of snow and rain lately and temps have gotten down into the single digits.

Today I accessed the 12v battery in the rear, and found that the battery well has 2-3 inches of standing water in it! The bottom of the battery was sitting in the water.

There was also a little bit of water in other places in the hatchback area, but nothing like that. Neither the top of the battery nor any of the electrical connections were wet. There was no noticeable corrosion on the battery terminals or clamps, but there is some rust or other rustlike precipitate in the water in the well.

I have now removed the battery and have it sitting in a plastic tub. The water is still in the battery well in the rear of the car.

I don't know at this point whether the water came from a battery leak or a leak from the outside. I suspect the latter, as several years ago we had to replace the taillight assembly on that side and used an aftermarket one. I wonder if the seal around that has been compromised.

Could use general advice on how to proceed.

My tentative plan at this point is:
    • Let the battery sit in the tub for a while and see if it's leaking. If not, take it in for testing and replace if necessary.
    • Find a way to dispose of the water in the car safely (assuming it's at least somewhat acidic)
    • If battery was not leaking, get a new battery and take car in to shop to look for the cause of the leak.
    Sound like a good plan? Please weigh in if I should be approaching this differently.

Thanks much!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's rain water, there should be a rubber plug under the battery.
    get the battery tested free at an auto parts store.
    check under the spare tire as well.
    it usually comes in thru cracks in the rain gutters under the black plastic moldings. silicone will seal them.
    if not, it can be the hatch gasket or hinge bolts.
    make sure the neg battery connection is clean and tight to the body.
    once the battery is cleared or replaced, check the voltage at the jump point under the hood, with the car off

Mendel Leisk and mscholtz like this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Remove the drain plugs on each side well the battery and under the spare container over there where the battery would go on the other side but there's not a battery and the spare tire well take the drain plug out of that you can just leave the drain plugs in their respective places they won't go anywhere and then water will pass through the system rather than build up and you should be good

mscholtz likes this.
  4. mscholtz

mscholtz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks @bisco and @Tombukt2. I'll try the drain plug thing. Do you two think rainwater in the well would cause the electrical problems I've been having, or do you think it's likely a coincidence?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no,the battery is sealed. not really a coincidence, many 08's leak, and now you have a separate issue.

mscholtz likes this.
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The Priuses in many ways remind me of the old American motors pacers the fish bowl car the Prius is as wonderful terrarium water gets in it and it just steams up all the windows and everything it's like you could grow plants or something in the Prius no problem and yes moisture will mess up the plug in above the battery that handles the battery fan that pulls air by the right side shoulder of the rear passenger blows it through the battery out the duct work and out the vent right above the battery that's in the way when you're changing the battery The plug right above that duct work is getting water in it You need to unplug it clean it well with electrical contact cleaner dielectric grease put it back together wrap it with zip tape and then move that plug as close as you can to the sheet metal of the body where it's out of the path of water drip and it'll just sit over there if you're worried about it you can tape it right to the inside of the body panel with the same zip tape that zip tape will not take on water. Yes all of that interior moisture is seeping in the plugs and connections so once you get that water passing through and not dwelling in the car the moisture content in the car won't be near as bad but I would start undoing plugs and spraying them putting dielectric grease or silicone on them and plugging them back up because funny electrical things will happen The battery's been sitting in water that's been freezing possibly frozen in water battery needs to be tested well and load tested if it fails replaced drain plugs out water should not build up back there and freeze in other battery

mscholtz likes this.
  7. mscholtz

mscholtz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks you two! So it's fine to use the car indefinitely with the drain plugs removed?

FWIW, I haven't experienced the terrarium issue like you mention @Tombukt2. We have an old Honda CR-V that is leaky and gets like that at the drop of a hat (condensation on the inside of all the glass). But not this Prius. So I had no idea there was water back there. Which leads me to wonder if the leak is fairly new.

Also: I just measured the battery voltage while out of the car and it's at 10.4v. Would that be low enough to prevent car from starting, electric door locks from working, etc.?

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    10.4 volts is low enough to wreak havoc on everything You need 12 5 plus sitting 20 30 40 minutes after the car has been shut off or better

9. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some folks don't like to remove the rubber/plastic plugs. Instead, they drill a hole in the center of them....1/4" 3/8", whatever. And call it good. Read one post where someone said removing the plugs would give mice a free "door" into the Prius.

Myself, I just removed the plugs, totally.

inframan likes this.
  10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Uhh the 1/4 inch or less holes in quarter panel battery area yes right. Obviously keyboard jockeys. The only place large enuff is the spare hole .only.. I guess you could use 1/4 hole punch in rubber plug . Nice if you leaving car like that ok . Maybe on a farm . If ya cannot do better than I guess ya deserve the mice . I live in SE Usain the country wno garage .I've no rodents in any vehicles here. You shouldn't either or ya like ..

11. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Kind of had trouble following that....

Drill holes,remove the plug. Whatever. I sealed the seams pretty darn good with GE Silcone II. Not pretty, but it works.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, fine to drive the car. reinstall the plug and install a new battery.
    check the area once in awhile and if water is gathering, remove the plug, let it drain and replace it.
    eventually tough, the battery might fall out

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That looks like the stock Yusa battery that came with the car lol. If so it’s 13 years old so you win the longest stock battery in a g2.
    How many times have you jumped it?

There is hundreds of posts about leaky G2 cabin. Check under the spare tire that’s all rusted too. If it gets too bad the water can migrate to under the backseat carpet and start to stink too.

I would not remove the plug under the battery I would drill a small weep hole
    In the plug.

Use the search forums link up top and search Water in car Water in battery well. There will many posts on how to find the leak which is easy and how to fix it.

The really bad thing the hatch leak does is sometimes it drips right on the power plug for the hybrid battery cooling fan. It rots out that connector then fan won’t spin and car throws a red triangle and won’t start.
    I would investigate that it’s easy to get too just take the passenger side cover off. Many pictures ofthat plug search for it.

14. mscholtz

mscholtz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK, I took the battery in to a shop. They charged and tested it, and they say it passed! Not what I was expecting. It's now at 12.4v. So where does that leave me? If the battery isn't shot, and the water in the well wasn't the cause of the problems, does that mean I have some other electrical issue?

15. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    12.4 and holding check it in an hour see what you got That's starting to head down there but it is above 12 and the car will sure keep it above that when it's running it's when it's off and yes that freezing in the wheel well or sitting half in the water and cold close to freezing whatever is definitely not a good situation for that yuasa. I have their AGM batteries and all my power sports equipment I think it's the micron something another

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did this shop originally sell you the battery?