1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water in spark plug wells?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mercat68, Jul 21, 2017.

1. mercat68

mercat68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hello, all. See attached image. Any mechanics out there who can comment on this repair report for a 2008 with 84K miles? How does water get in the spark plug wells and does it indicate some larger issue? Thanks.

Snapseed.jpg

2. Travis Decker

Travis Decker Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Clean the cowling drains....

m.wynn and edthefox5 like this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep Travis knocked it. There was a tsb a long time ago to replace the seal that would keep water from getting under the rubber seal and the first place it drips is the top of the engine and somehow it gets into the spark plug wells. The cowling water dam is where the water goes when it runs down the windshield. It collects in the dam where the windshield wipers are.Every time I wash my G2 I make sure that drain is open by holding the hose on the windshield. If you put alot of water in that dam it should pour out of behind each front wheel very strongly. If not there leaf clogged. Sometimes happens if you leave a a boatload of leaves in that well all the time. Most people do.

Anyway on the edge of that dam right above the engine there's black rubber gasket seal. Lift it up with your fingers. If its not glued down theirs the leak if the dam is full of leaves.

#3 edthefox5, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    m.wynn likes this.
  4. mercat68

mercat68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks, guys - I'll check the drain holes.

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. Oregon Prius

Oregon Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Found a video on cleaning the cowling drains. There are obvious places to clean but also some non-obvious ones:

mercat68 likes this.