1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water in trunk, what to do b/f start attempt

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Eric Ewanco, Sep 4, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Eric Ewanco

Eric Ewanco Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I spilled what was probably a considerable amount of water (likely a gallon or two) in my Gen 4 Prius hatch (2016). I fear at least some of it made it down to the hybrid battery compartment, but I don't know how much. Is there anything I can do before I attempt to start it to increase the chances that it will start and get me home? Or should I just try to start it and cross my fingers?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would pull everything up (carpet, floorboards) and see how much has accumulated around the battery and cables.
    if there is water, you should probably open the battery case (follow precautions)

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You don't really have much to worry about. The pack is well designed to not be bothered by the usual spills and messes most cars experience... But there's always exceptions to that and you haven't explained the exact location where you spilled, nor have you detailed your efforts to clean it up. Once you elaborate we will better be able to tell you if it's safe or not?

4. Eric Ewanco

Eric Ewanco Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TL;DR update: The car seems to work fine.

The source of the water was a big food & drink cooler with melting ice with an unclosed plug that had been melting for a couple of days before I noticed it. The carpet was soaked and water could be seen pooled in the left front corner (the seats were down and the car was on a slight decline). The floorboard was a little damp but had only a few small really wet areas. When I pulled it up to expose the tire puncture repair kit, that was dry and when I forced one of those panels up, I found a completely dry but obviously sealed area where I expected the battery to be. I saw a grommet with a thin cable entering it and that was dry. I had to fish or cut bait so I tried the car and it started. So far I've driven maybe two hours with it, so I think it's ok. Thanks for the responses.

PriusCamper and bisco like this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Because it's Summer things should dry out quick... If it was winter I'd offer some options to dry things out more aggressively.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Heat gun, wet/dry vac, leaf blower. :)