1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water inside Prius radio system

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Hannah_flyeaglesfly, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Hannah_flyeaglesfly

Hannah_flyeaglesfly New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So a few years back, I lived in my 2011 Prius, with my two cats.. I had their water and food dish on the dashboard when they knocked over the water dish. The water then slid right down the middle of my dash and into my CD player and continued to also run down into the buttons. Since then, when I put my radio on or play a CD, or anything, it's super staticky and fuzzy. Is this something that can be fixed, either via having a mechanic fix it or replacing the stereo itself? If you have any experience, or enough knowledge about Priuses to help me, I would be forever grateful. Thank you!

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    J think you might be having some corrosion issues on the buttons, and even the player itself. If you had done cleaning the fluid out of it those years, this won't have progressed to this stage.

If you got the time, y not just go ahead and replace em, or try see if you could clean the PCB of the player, when you get to remove it out. This might not work, but you might be lucky!

Get a replacement used or new one ready when trying g this out.

Dxta

RCO and bisco like this.
  3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ooh that's a really sticky problem. I think you're gonna need some help to try fixing this, but welcome to Prius Chat and good luck. Just hang around and some with experience will find you even more advice.

Hannah_flyeaglesfly likes this.
  4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I agree with @Dxta that the likely cause is corrosion or other water damage, probably inside the stereo, also called the “radio head unit” in Toyota’s terms.

A mechanic would be able to remove and reinstall the head unit and check for damage to the connectors on the back where it plugs in to the car’s wire harness, but repairing any damage inside is best done by a skilled electronics technician. Indeed, Toyota’s repair manuals don’t include any instructions for this kind of internal servicing; dealers are expected to replace failed or defective head units with refurbished ones.

If a refurbished head unit (or one from eBay or a junkyard) doesn’t fit your budget, you may be able to have the one from your car repaired. Your mechanic would remove the head unit from the car, package it appropriately, and ship it to a company like United Radio for evaluation. If you contact them, they might be able to give you an idea of the range of possible repair costs, so you could decide if this is an option. You’d have to pay for your mechanic’s time and the shipping charges, of course, whether or not the repair is successful.

Hannah_flyeaglesfly, RCO and Dxta like this.
  5. Hannah_flyeaglesfly

Hannah_flyeaglesfly New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you very much!