1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water leak and now P0AA6

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by VINCENT S THOMAS, Nov 13, 2019.

1. VINCENT S THOMAS

VINCENT S THOMAS New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and I am in need of your help. I purchased a 13 prius earlier this year and I fell in love with the car. I've probably put 30k on it so far. Well I cracked my winshield changing my spark plugs in september and when I had the window replaced they failed to seal it correctly. On two separate occasions when raining water entered on the passenger side and leaked behind the dash. The second time after I was told I had been repaired warning lights came on including check hybrid system and the car went into a limp mode. I turned it off and restarted and it was fine. The check hybrid light remained though. They said it's coming up with a code p0aa6 and that it being thrown during the same time as the water pouring in behind the dash is a pure coincidence and that the two has nothing to do with the other. Is this true is there nothing behind the dash that when wet could have caused this issue. They also are saying the 12v batter can cause this code. are they just trying to get out of repair costs? Please help!

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Check the battery voltage and bring car back to the windshield place for reseal

3. VINCENT S THOMAS

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello, I did have it resealed and they kept the car for several days to give it time to dry out. The code remains and Toyota wants several hours to diagnose and the glass repair shop is content on saying the code that wasn't preset until the water started pouring in has nothing to do with them or their failure

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

how many miles on her?

is it at a toyota dealer?

for more detailed code information, a shop with toyota tech stream diagnostic software should be used. or you can buy it on amazon.

it is possible that the water is the cause, but not positively, without the code details.

#4 bisco, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  5. VINCENT S THOMAS

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The car is at the auto glass repair shop. Allegedly they had a toyota service tech come run a diagnostic on the car. Their solution is replacing the 12v battery but from what I've read that makes no sense. I would like to keep diagnosing costs down so if I purchase the software and tool needed to do it myself are there any guides or anything out there that can aid in helping me understand what I will be looking at

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are a lot of threads here on tech stream. you need a compatible laptop to run it on. it can be a bit complicated, so i would read as much as possible before proceeding.

most have good success, but a few have not.

you could ask them to put in a new 12v to see if it works, if they agree that you don't have to pay unless it proves itself.

7. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In my experience, and with the limited size, reserve capacity of the Prius 12v battery, and the potential that your 12v battery is original to your 2013 Prius, it is completely plausible that your 12v battery has in fact, become marginal. Let me explain: When technicians are working on the Prius, they often do so with the doors open. This of course, illuminates all of the dome lights, running down the 12v battery. Whenever I bring my car in for service, I flip the dome override switch to OFF, because I have had this happen before.

Furthermore, as we all know, a 12v battery in its death throws can definitely trigger confusing DTC's and hybrid error codes. If your 12v battery is original to your particular model year, then we are going on 7 years old. You received great service from that battery, and its service duty is now ending.

I would bring a multimeter to the 12v battery directly and make sure the resting voltage is 12.8v (+/- .3v); if it fails this basic test, you are due for a new 12v battery. If you have 12.5v or more, then you are correct, and something else has occurred, but my experience tells me that your 12v is begging to be taken out back and put out of its misery.

#7 PriusGuy32, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019